Wind speed phone app - legal

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
App on a phone that shows wind speed and direction overlay on a map of the course. So just weather data from from one of the many weather sites. OK to look at during a legal round ?

RichA

Visit site
Probably about as rule compliant as using an electronic GPS mapping device that gives altitudes.

Steven Rules

Visit site
Information about wind direction is ok at any time. See Definition of Advice.

Measuring wind speed at the course is not allowed but getting any type of weather information (including wind speed) from weather forecasts is allowed. See Rule 4.3a(2).

I extrapolate the term 'forecasts' to take it that live weather observations from a public source that are not measured at the course are ok too.

I would say this app is ok.

RichA

Visit site
More compliant in my opinion.

Anything that measures elevation changes is not allowed. Rule 4.3a(1).
OK. So using a detailed Ordnance Survey map on my GPS enabled phone that shows my current altitude and the altitude of the green is technically within the rules? Only my location is being measured - the altitude data is a matter of record.
Asking, not arguing.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
OK. So using a detailed Ordnance Survey map on my GPS enabled phone that shows my current altitude and the altitude of the green is technically within the rules? Only my location is being measured - the altitude data is a matter of record.
Asking, not arguing.

But using a calculator to work all the angles etc involved would be against the rules:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Asking, not arguing.
Published information is OK but dynamic measurement of relative elevation is not.

RichA

Visit site
Published information is OK but dynamic measurement of relative elevation is not.
I don't have the ability to make it relevant, I'm just exploring the point, but I'm not talking about measuring relative elevation.
I'm saying that if I'm allowed to use GPS to measure my longitude and latitude and the elevation of those points is a matter of public record then I'm not actually measuring the relative elevation - the elevations are already known.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Accessing factual data about such as height asl and wind speed and direction at current location may well be ok, but just wait - the time will come when some app will be integrating this information with a players default clubbing and yardages to give club selection advice.

Last edited:

Jason.H

Visit site
Accessing factual data about such as height asl and wind speed and direction at current location may well be ok, but just wait - the time will come when some app will be integrating this information to give club selection advice.

Some of these golf apps already do. I guess it’s no different to having an actual caddie.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Accessing factual data about such as height asl and wind speed and direction at current location may well be ok, but just wait - the time will come when some app will be integrating this information with a players default clubbing and yardages to give club selection advice.

A lot of this is available now it is just that you are not permitted to use it under the Rules of Golf e.g. you cannot use the 'plays like' feature you see on some bits of kit.

Jason.H

Visit site
I use Swing U app through winter only because we are non qualifying so I have an idea of where my handicap should be. I do not subscribe/pay for any of the fancy shots gained info that’s available.
The best feature being the satellite view of the hole for playing new courses/ dog legs and blind shots

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't have the ability to make it relevant, I'm just exploring the point, but I'm not talking about measuring relative elevation.
I'm saying that if I'm allowed to use GPS to measure my longitude and latitude and the elevation of those points is a matter of public record then I'm not actually measuring the relative elevation - the elevations are already known.
I understand your point but does your GPS device tell the elevation to 1 metre at both where your ball is and where your target is?

RichA

Visit site
I understand your point but does your GPS device tell the elevation to 1 metre at both where your ball is and where your target is?
As below, from a website found via a Google search on my phone.
No measurements being taken - it's a matter of record...
IMG_2701.jpeg

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As below, from a website found via a Google search on my phone.
No measurements being taken - it's a matter of record...
View attachment 47241

How quickly would you be at working out a2 + b2 = c2 and then the angle
Would you not have to have some sort of chart converting the angle etc to know the extra club?

All within the 40 seconds you are allowed for a shot.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How quickly would you be at working out a2 + b2 = c2 and then the angle
Would you not have to have some sort of chart converting the angle etc to know the extra club?

All within the 40 seconds you are allowed for a shot.
40s for a shot ?

That a guideline, or a rule, i.e. a penalty if you take more than you are allowed ?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
40s for a shot ?

That a guideline, or a rule, i.e. a penalty if you take more than you are allowed ?
The Rules recommend 40s but also suggest that to encourage and enforce prompt play, the Committee should adopt a Local Rule setting a Pace of Play Policy.
This Policy may set a maximum time to complete a round, a hole or series of holes and a stroke, and it may set penalties for not following the Policy.
However, regardless of such a LR, a Referee may impose penalties under Rule 5.6a for unreasonably delaying play, either when playing a hole or between two holes.