Wilson Staff 'Fybrid' clubs

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Does anybody have a take on these clubs? are they just woods by any other name? The missus is looking for some hybrid style irons and the short list so far is Cleveland Hi-Bores, Callaways' inflation busting beauties and the Cobra's.

Ironically she's got a set of Wilson clubs... yep just 'Wilson' as a starter set at the mo. but has demo'd the Hi-bores and finds them easy to launch. Not sure even if Wilson and Wilson Staff are part of the same company or if its just a coincidence.

I'll stick my colours to the mast and say I just don't trust the AG guys (or the NB guys) to fit them properly so will probably encourage her to go to a manufacturers roadshow or a bespoke fitter. Can anyone recommend one from personal experience?

We're based in the south(alright were filthy Londoners) for our sins although I would be happy to treat her to a weekend at St. Andrews if that seems the way to go
bill

p.s. apologies in advance for annoying the 'anti-custom fitting ' guys and gals on here but to use an analogy, ' why lay out for a nice suit and not spend a score and get it fitted?'- what's to loose?

(slaps head- oh dear, here we go :()

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not tried the Fybrids but if your missus is looking for a good set of irons with hybrids then you could do worse than look at MD Blackhawks. I bought a set for my wife to replace her Ram starter set and she has improved no end since putting them into play. Can also recommend the MD EQL driver. Bought one of these for the good lady and have regretted it ever since. Even when no other part of her game is working she can still welly it striaght down the middle.

T

thecraw

billyg

Get yourself up to Irvine in Ayrshire and get your wife booked into Wilson's factory and custom fit centre. You are in the midst of Gods own golfing country while you are there.

Western Gailes, Glasgow Gailes, Dundonald (owned by Loch Lomond) Irvine Bogside all within a mile or two of the factory.

Turnberry, Prestick, Prestwick StNicholas, Royal Troon, Barassie, Troon Portland all within striking distance.

Cheap Ryan Air flight up to Prestick and your near as dam in Irvine. Make a weekend of it thats my advice.

(Wilson + Wilson Staff are under the same umbrella)

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks GB- will add those to the short list

Thanks TC- if she goes down the WS route that's a done deal and i'll pm for more info. if that's alright?

Clevelands' a problem- no in house custom fitting concession in the UK

Callaway has somewhere but I can't remember where off the top of my head

Cobra seems to be franchise/pro-shop based fitting only like Cleveland.

Whatever way we go i'll make sure it's the right thing.

thanks,

bill

p.s. although I refer to her as 'the missus' she's actually my girlfriend of 7 years(christ is it that long). I'm a bit worried like GB above. Once she's got them sorted she'll kick my @rse

:(

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Any Callaway clubs you like because they have their custom fitting + headquarters in Surrey (Chessington)

Wilson + Wilson Staff are the same company just the Wilson Staff range is of a better quality and suited to the better player.

The Fybrids have had some decent reviews. Thats all i know.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
thanks once again all,

lots to be going on with there. Will print it out and pass it on to her-nibs to look at,

bill