Wilson Staff Di9 or Cleveland CG7 Black Pearl irons?

LeeP19

Visit site
I have been playing golf for under a month and I feel the need to buy a good set of irons but am on a strict budget. I've read good things about Wilson Staff Di9's and Cleveland CG7 Black Pearl irons, but which are better? Or something else completely?

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have been playing golf for under a month and I feel the need to buy a good set of irons but am on a strict budget. I've read good things about Wilson Staff Di9's and Cleveland CG7 Black Pearl irons, but which are better? Or something else completely?

I have hit the CG7's and they are a lovely club. Not tried any Wilson clubs for years and so can't comment on those but either clubs would seem to be an ideal starting point

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had a look at both when I was changing irons last year Although I went for Ci11's. Would choose the CG7 over the Di9 as I felt they are a nicer iron at address. Black doesn't wear as well as chrome irons though.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I've got the CG7s, have had them about 3 years.

I like them. They offer the right amount of feedback for me and look decent at address. The black pearl finish doesn't last very long and fades unevenly across the club. That doesn't bother me but I imagine it might others.

They're not super game improvement clubs, the heads aren't huge and nor do they have a terribly thick sole.

I took the view that there might be clubs that would be easier to hit in the short term, but in the medium to long term they would serve me better as I improved. Also I think getting a little feedback (to go with the help they offer too) helps the learning process.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My first new set of clubs I had were the Wilson Staff Di11's. They were really good & easy to hit. You can pick up a 2nd hand set of them in good nick for around £100 on eBay - bargain!!

New, the Di11's are less than £200 in American Golf at the moment as they are being discontinued.

I'd take a look at those over the Di9's as they are a bit newer.

Can't comment on the Clevelands.

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'd struggle to recommend the CG7s which I played for a fair proportion of a season. The feel wasn't great, the head was 'clicky', wasn't a fan of the stock shaft, etc. - they were ok but I think there are much better sets out there.

I moved back to Adams after the CG7s, specifically the Adams CB3 Forged with stock KBS Tour 90 shafts... and they were better than the CG7s in every way imo. You'd pick up pre-owned CB3s from eBay for a very reasonable price, perhaps around £150 (they were c.£700 retail when new).

Not played the Wilsons so can't comment on those...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can you stretch to CG16's? I have them and they are very easy to use. They are forgiving but when you do nail one it feels lovely and it flies high and off into the distance.