Will you swap your ball in the UK winter?

PaulyMcK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I used a load of rocks on Saturday, as it's now winter. They have all been removed from my bag and currently reside in a Tesco bag to be handed in to our for for the kids to use. Never again will I use carp balls.

Something fishy about that post. :p

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My switches can come at any time of the year depending on where I am playing and the speed of the greens.

Fast greens Bridgestone B330RXS
Medium pace Nike One Tour D (on my last few of these sadly)*
Slow Greens Bridgestone B330RX

The former and the latter requires a little adjustment for greenside spin.

* I have been meaning to try out Nike RZN white but little bit so far it seems that do not spin as well.

Interesting strategy, how do you find this works?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
My switches can come at any time of the year depending on where I am playing and the speed of the greens.

* I have been meaning to try out Nike RZN white but little bit so far it seems that do not spin as well.

may i ask your handicap?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting strategy, how do you find this works?

What it means is that I vary putting distance with the same swing using a different ball. Works well for , I used to switch putters between summer and winter but that is not possible in the middle of a round. If I find different green speeds than expected it is very easy to switch balls after a couple of holes.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
As a 16 h/c I just bought 40 Titleist grade B balls for under £14 on ebay to use during winter - balls get so scuffed or lost underground at our course so often it is crazy to play with new ones. They arrived yesterday and they look way better than a new ball after about 3 holes anyway!

D

Deleted member 15717

So...what are your boundaries for fast/slow/medium? Do you take a stimp reader everywhere you go?

As for me....same ball all year round.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What it means is that I vary putting distance with the same swing using a different ball. Works well for , I used to switch putters between summer and winter but that is not possible in the middle of a round. If I find different green speeds than expected it is very easy to switch balls after a couple of holes.

Very novel and interesting concept, whatever gets the ball in the hole in the fewest shots 👍

Do you find the different balls all fly the same, react the same on chips/pitches etc or can you quickly adjust accordingly?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very novel and interesting concept, whatever gets the ball in the hole in the fewest shots 

Do you find the different balls all fly the same, react the same on chips/pitches etc or can you quickly adjust accordingly?

I always play a premium brand 3 piece urethane ball and have learnt the slight distance differences between each of the types I play. Mind you these days I hardly ever practice and my consistency for shot distances rather reflects that. There are some premium brands that cost me half to one iron length so I usually keep these for when I am playing on my own.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So...what are your boundaries for fast/slow/medium? Do you take a stimp reader everywhere you go?

Just many years of experience and an ability to quickly judge what sort of speed the greens are. Simply just looking at the grass on the green gives me a good first impression.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've fancied trying the Chromesoft X for a while as the standard version is a bit too soft for my liking. Went into AG yesterday and Callaway have an offer just now. Buy 1 doz and get a free 2ball pack as well, try them and if you don't like them take the dozen back for a full refund.

So I'll be trying them on Sunday when I take money off Paperboy and JohnnyDee :thup:

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just use the ones that have managed to last a few rounds during Summer. Provs, Vice Proplus have seen me through the Summer and I have a quite a lot that you wouldn't use on the first tee in Summer but are perfectly good for winter.

This for me too, got loads of batteredballs and just use them.

Currently got one on the go that's done 10 rounds, going to try and keep it all winter.