Will you swap your ball in the UK winter?

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
I've had a strange season with golf balls, struggled and fell out with pro v1, and started using Bridgestone supersoft and seamed to hit it straighter. Then I moved to Nike rzn black volts and platinum after early success I played a used pro v1 again and had my seasons success.

So do you swap at any time? I've got a box full of Nike's, z stars, tm5x, pro v1 and srixon soft feels I won.

Is there a benefit from using pro v1 through the winter months?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Yes, i am using nike platinum practice, which cost 1 pound per ball, as opposed to prov1x. Winter golf is rubbish, with all the leaves, and i hate losing expensive golf balls after a half decent shot.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Use a Prov1x most of the time but during the winter will use any old ball TBH. Greens soft so even a TF will stop most of the time.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been experimenting with different balls all year anyway. All of them soft two piece ones. A month ago I got round to buying a box of DX2's to try, and this has coincidentally worked out well with winter approaching and them being the cheapest ball in the category. I think I'll stick with them for my next box but get the yellow version.

Next summer I think I might go to Titleist DT Trusoft though as they were my favourite of the other balls I've tried.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We start losing balls on the fairway around this time of the year so the cheap and cheerful Dunlops will be brought out for the next few months.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Cool stuff 👍

I'm only playing the winter series comps, will the pro v1 lose distance over a two piece through winter? I like the dx ball I found.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Won a box of srixon z star will use them waste of a prov1 at the moment.
only downside is short game spin but greens are wet so shouldn't be to bad.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a load of AD333s that I will use during the winter, I mentioned to a guy last winter I was playing with one and since then every time he sees me he gives me 2 or 3.

D

Deleted member 21258

I just play all year with any balls I find on courses or cheap balls we bought a couple of years ago.

Balls just don't excite me.

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Normally use the rzn black but going to try truvis next round in the hope of evading the leaf pixies , does seem a waste using a 4 piece ball in winter , dx3's in yellow as a fallback.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'll only swap to a yellow ball (soft feel etc) on the odd occasion I play in frostt..Firstly for visibility and secondly to avoid unnecessarily damaging ProV1's)

Otherwise won't bother changing

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I'll change to coloured golf balls when there is frost. Purely for visibility reasons. Apart from that I don't care. I do play very soft balls anyway, so I don't think there is anything out there that would perform better in cold conditions.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Won a few boxes of the 2017 pro v1s, will use and lose those over the winter and save my chrome softs for spring.