Will they ever win a major?

Mike_j_golf

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
With Augusta just around the corner my opions on a few of the leading europeans chances of ever winning a Major.

Will they ever win a major?
Luke Donald, Don’t think so he seems to be a bit of a cash cow likes the big cheques but not sure he is that interested in winning a major.
Poulter, Think he will win 1 at least he is driven and looks like he could get it done down the stretch.
Westwood, Think he has had too many near misses at this stage and mentally might not be strong enough, he is monty reincarnated.
Casey, Not as driven as Poults and really can’t remember him ever contending in a Major so think he is a No.
Rory, Will he be the next Serigo? Think he will win 1 at least and if that happens soon it could give him the belief to win more. Think when he wins his first one it will be a Quail hallow style win coming from behind he has never been a good front runner.
Serigo, Seems to be playing better lately and I would love to see him get back to his best and into contention.
Fisher, Might fall into 1 at some stage but it will take a lot of luck.

Will they win another?
Kaymer, 6,7,8 or more looks like he could be No.1 for ages.
Mc Dowell, Will contend in a few more and will probably pick up another along the way.
Harrington, think he will win 1 more at some stage still seems to have the drive and can have the low round if he can get into contention on the back nine on a Sunday and get the crazy eyes going he can win another.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think to say Luke Donald "isn't really interested in winning a major" is a bit inaccurate.

I would bet my mortgage on him having the desire and want to win a major title.

You can see how much the World Matchplay Title meant to him.

Winning one of the Majors is why these guys tee it up week in week out.

Lawrence22

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What about the other Europeans? I reckon there is a really good chance that one of the Italian boys could win one and in the next couple of years. I also reckon that Quiros has a good chance, with his power at these ever lengthening courses. Another who I think looks like he may have the game for it is Rhys Davies.
I also disagree about Donald. I think he is the most likely after Kaymer to win for Europe this year.

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Donald has every chance of winning a major especially on a tight US Open style course where accuracy is rewarded.
Poulter could win one, but not at Augusta where he is probably allergic to everything that grows or moves.
Westwood and Sergio are almost in the same bracket, have a lot of mental scars from previous major disappointments and sadly may never win one.
Casey and Rory could win at anytime, but agree would most likely be coming from back in the field on the final day.
Fisher would fold under the pressure (see final day of Ryder Cup)
Harrington is a spent force since the swing change, if it aint broke why fix it?
Kaymer and G-Mac should clean up in years to come.

Others that could possibly sneak in and pinch a mojor would be Quiros, Molinari and Manassero.
Mind you, if Michael Campbell can win the US Open, reckon any bugger out there could grab a major!

HogansAlley

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can't see Donald winning the US Open - he doesn't hit far enough or high enough. If Augusta was set up like it was 10 years ago, Donald would have a great chance. It's such shame they tricked that course up. What does everyone remember fondly about the Masters? Players shooting 31 on the back nine to win or Immelman shooting 75 to win?

I've gone slightly off message there.

If Westwood's going to win a major it needs to be pretty soon.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
IMO

Donald - Yes
Poulter - no
Casey - NO never
Westwood - NO
Mcilroy - Yes
Fisher No
Sergio - Yes
Rose - no

Kaymer - will win a few more
Mcdowell - Yes one more
Harrington - All done

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
IMO

Donald - Yes
Poulter - no
Casey - NO never
Westwood - NO
Mcilroy - Yes
Fisher No
Sergio - Yes
Rose - no

Mcdowell - Yes one more
Harrington - All done

I agree with that list with the exception of Westwood. But only because I really want him to do it as I'm a massive fan...so I'm staying optimistic.

stef92

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Donald: Yes (USPGA)
Poulter: No :eek:
Westwood: No (Monty-esque) :eek:
Casey: Yes (US Open)
Rory: Yes (Multiple)
Sergio: No

Kaymer: Yes (British, and US)
McDowell: Yes (Masters)
Harrington: No

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
Fisher is pretty much my favourite player on the tour very surprised to see him written off like that. He was undone at turnbury by one bad hole and finished top 10 in all the other majors that year. The guy has everything and I am sure he will win one.

HogansAlley

Assistant Pro
Visit site
IMO

Donald - Yes
Poulter - no
Casey - NO never
Westwood - NO
Mcilroy - Yes
Fisher No
Sergio - Yes
Rose - no

Mcdowell - Yes one more
Harrington - All done

Nice list. Here's my two-penth…

Harrington will never win another tournament nevermind a major!
I suspect Poulter will win one.
Westwood must win one this year or he's done.
Rose: Absolutely NO CHANCE. He's basically a mummy's boy - which is shame because he's great ball striker.
Casey: I think he's got one in him. He's certainly got the arrogance. Have you heard him being interviewed?

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Donald: Yes
Poulter: No
Westwood: Yes
Casey: No
Rory: Yes
Sergio: I hope so, but doubt it
Fisher: No

In addition:
Mannasero: Yes (couple of Opens)

Kaymer: Yes
McDowell: Yes
Harrington: No

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
IMO

Donald - Yes
Poulter - no
Casey - NO never
Westwood - NO
Mcilroy - Yes
Fisher No
Sergio - Yes
Rose - no

Mcdowell - Yes one more
Harrington - All done

I agree with that list with the exception of Westwood. But only because I really want him to do it as I'm a massive fan...so I'm staying optimistic.

Yes I would really like Westwood to win one but I feel he has missed his chance

Mongoose

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No to them all except Kaymer, who may win a couple more. Would like to see Westwood win one, but somehow I think he's had his chance. Though not on the original poster's list I have a sneaky suspicion Manassero may become a major winner.

B

birdieman

No to them all except Kaymer, who may win a couple more. Would like to see Westwood win one, but somehow I think he's had his chance. Though not on the original poster's list I have a sneaky suspicion Manassero may become a major winner.

Good shout there, Kaymer will win and maybe McIlroy if he accepts that his short game needs a lot of work.
3 of the Majors are US side and that will always favour the US players.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Donald - No
Poulter - No
Casey - No
Westwood - Yes
Mcilroy - No
Fisher No
Sergio - No
Rose - No
Kaymer - Kaymer to get at least 2 more
Mcdowell - Yes one more
Harrington - Has peaked

I think Francisco Molinari is a dark horse too.