Will Slope Ratings be updated?

Swango1980

Visit site
As an average, you can
Not really, but I know what you are saying. As an average of your top 8, then yes you will achieve a decimal score, thus the difference could be 1.2 (in a mathematically perfect world)

However, if that score was your 8th best score, then on that round you've not technically played to your handicap. However, if it was your best score in 20, you've beaten your handicap.

Springveldt

Visit site
No, because the 19 handicapper is also expected to finish nett 1.2 shots higher off the whites
The course rating has a 1.2 difference but the bogey rating is actually 1.5 difference so I guess you could say that for a higher handicapper the whites are actually 1.5 shots tougher.

Swango1980

Visit site
The course rating has a 1.2 difference but the bogey rating is actually 1.5 difference so I guess you could say that for a higher handicapper the whites are actually 1.5 shots tougher.
If you are going by gross score. But remember that Slope takes into account the bogey rating. Therefore, in terms of nett score (course handicap), once slope is factored in, all players still comparing their score to course rating.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you are going by gross score. But remember that Slope takes into account the bogey rating. Therefore, in terms of nett score (course handicap), once slope is factored in, all players still comparing their score to course rating.
Yes. Just as the Course Handicap is 'sloped' the Score Differential is 'de-sloped' and effectively says how well you played.

Swango1980

Visit site
Just another point to add that is worth mentioning, you say "higher handicapper". However, the bogey rating is the expected score for a player of around 20ish handicapper. So, it is not really a useful number to compare your gross score to anyway, very vague. What if you play off 5, 10, 15, 25, 30, etc?

However, as this is accounted for in the slope, then any golfer should really be comparing their nett score to Course Rating to determine how well they played to their handicap (in the UK).

Springveldt

Visit site
Just another point to add that is worth mentioning, you say "higher handicapper". However, the bogey rating is the expected score for a player of around 20ish handicapper. So, it is not really a useful number to compare your gross score to anyway, very vague. What if you play off 5, 10, 15, 25, 30, etc?

However, as this is accounted for in the slope, then any golfer should really be comparing their nett score to Course Rating to determine how well they played to their handicap (in the UK).
Yes, I know all that. I was pointing out for @rudebhoy that although he gets 23 shots for both white and yellows he should still expect to shoot 1.5 shots better from the yellows as he is a bogey golfer.

As you say though, everyone should be playing against the course rating and therefore their differential to judge just how well they have played.

I’ve actually got a counting score from our yellows (77 differential 5.8) yet my 78’s from the white are better since their differentials as 5.6.