will people laugh at my clubs!?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Can't see anyone laughing at them. Classic clubs. However from a performance point of view I'm not sure how they'd stack up against more recent offerings, even something like a G25 from Ping. If you get back into the golf and enjoy it, I@d definitely look around for a bargain set somewhere

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played Eye 2's up to about 18 months ago, and as others have already said, they're great classic clubs.
My suggestion would be get back into the game using them and see where you go.
Maybe upgrade later on in the year.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Without the + symbol you should not be using them as they are non conforming clubs due to the grooves.

Yes they are. Only from 2024 will they possibly become illegal.

Even at that I'm sure they're reassessing that decision in 2020.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes they are. Only from 2024 will they possibly become illegal.

Even at that I'm sure they're reassessing that decision in 2020.

NO

That is the ruling made in about 2008*. The ruling I am referring to is the one made last century. The R&A and USGA came to an agreement specifically with Ping to avoid going to court. A person who owned a set of Ping Eye 2s at that time could have the set sent back and Ping altered the grooves and added + symbol to show that that they now agreed with the groove ruling. All brand new sets had the + symbol added in the casting process.

The 2008 ruling references groove shape, the earlier ruling references groove shape, width. depth and distance between grooves

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
NO

That is the ruling made in about 2008*. The ruling I am referring to is the one made last century. The R&A and USGA came to an agreement specifically with Ping to avoid going to court. A person who owned a set of Ping Eye 2s at that time could have the set sent back and Ping altered the grooves and added + symbol to show that that they now agreed with the groove ruling. All brand new sets had the + symbol added in the casting process.

The 2008 ruling references groove shape, the earlier ruling references groove shape, width. depth and distance between grooves

Still legal for amateurs I understand.

eddiethebus

Visit site
I played Eye 2's up to about 18 months ago, and as others have already said, they're great classic clubs.
My suggestion would be get back into the game using them and see where you go.
Maybe upgrade later on in the year.

yeah this is pretty much my plan. I'll probably use them for a couple of months to get a bit of a game back then get something new. Were in france at the moment and the course is still closed for another month (under snow) but i'll be getting to the driving range there shortly then getting back into it properly when were in the UK in June.

quite excited to get back into it!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
yeah this is pretty much my plan. I'll probably use them for a couple of months to get a bit of a game back then get something new. Were in france at the moment and the course is still closed for another month (under snow) but i'll be getting to the driving range there shortly then getting back into it properly when were in the UK in June.

quite excited to get back into it!

Works as a plan...:thup:

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Anyone that laughs at your clubs should promptly walk with you into the pro shop, get their wallets out and pay for a new set! Seriously no one cares, get back into golf and see what happens later....then buy new shiny ones.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I think if you turn up with a set of brand new clubs , top of range but you can’t play with them then they are much more likely to laugh at you

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Personally I think if you turn up with a set of brand new clubs , top of range but you can’t play with them then they are much more likely to laugh at you

Tend to see a lot of this at some places like Silvermere and Leatherhead Golf Club which seems to attract a lot of Asian (Japanese, Korean and now Chinese) who all turn up with the top end gear in big shiny new bags. Take ages over the ball and nobble it a few feet. Repeat four times off the tee. Never a concept of letting any group behind through unless asked by a course marshal and then under protest, and so cue a six hour frustrating round. Sadly becoming more prevalent and while I'm all for making golf inclusive, there has to be an understanding of the basics and the etiquette and that letting a group through is not some sort of loss of face. Relax and breathe :rant::rolleyes::(

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tend to see a lot of this at some places like Silvermere and Leatherhead Golf Club which seems to attract a lot of Asian (Japanese, Korean and now Chinese) who all turn up with the top end gear in big shiny new bags. Take ages over the ball and nobble it a few feet. Repeat four times off the tee. Never a concept of letting any group behind through unless asked by a course marshal and then under protest, and so cue a six hour frustrating round. Sadly becoming more prevalent and while I'm all for making golf inclusive, there has to be an understanding of the basics and the etiquette and that letting a group through is not some sort of loss of face. Relax and breathe :rant::rolleyes::(

I treated myself to almost an entire new bag last year around my 30th as like a present to myself

Took a while to get used to them so I was one of those but now the clubs are used (can tell even tho I clean them they aren’t shiney new) and are last times model. Plus I have improved my ball striking that people don’t notice anymore lol

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Anyone who laughs at someone else's gear because they think it's old or cheap or whatever, is a dick.
If someone laughs, then they probably have no friends - console yourself with that fact whilst ripping them a new @$$hole with your copper Pings.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I never laugh at other peoples gear but I do point out when they are using 'illegal' clubs.

Personally I would get a bit embarrassed if this was pointed out to me more than once.