will people laugh at my clubs!?

eddiethebus

Visit site
(bit tongue in cheek!)
Hi guys,

new poster/member here :)

So i've not played for about 10 years as our local club is just too expensive.

Were moving shortly to somewhere a bit more affordable so i'm going to get my old clubs out, copper ping eye 2s.

Do people think they'll be ok, or do i really need to get something a bit more modern? I'll be aiming for may be 27 holes a week and a session on the range. Previously played off 10.

Going back to the subject matter a little as well, do you think people will look at them and think WTF are they!? lol

thanks all :)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No would be my answer. Clearly I can not account for every idiot out there but I have genuinely never seen someone laugh at someone else's clubs other than mates ribbing each other about spending daft sums on a new club. Nothing to worry about.

eddiethebus

Visit site
No would be my answer. Clearly I can not account for every idiot out there but I have genuinely never seen someone laugh at someone else's clubs other than mates ribbing each other about spending daft sums on a new club. Nothing to worry about.

yeah, i suspect your right.

Looking at the new clubs around these days the "norm" seems to be wedges through to 5 iron then a couple of extra lofted woods. I might try this approach as well.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I see plenty of Eye 2's in various bags at our place. As LT said you're more likely to be ribbed for having matching bag of current range clubs and not being able to hit a cows backside with a banjo.......like me !!!!!! Good luck sir, enjoy. :swing:

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Nope, no laughs. They will either be jealous, because they gave their own Ping eyes away years ago and miss them, or they will think you are one heck of a player because you don't feel the need to go for the newest shovel sized super low lofted model that looks like it fell freshly out of an alien space ship.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Best clubs ever made.

I think the grooves may become illegal as of January 2024, and that is only if they uphold an earlier decision which gets reviewed again in January 2020.

All to do with the "U" grooves design.

(Please note these dates may not be correct - all from memory!)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
No laughing here.

The BeCu clubs are among the most collected Pings, which clubs do you have in the set and what sort of shape are they in?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think people generally laugh at other people's clubs. The clubs you use are very personal thing. You certainly don't need to upgrade if you hit them well.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If they do just tell em how much you just love these classic clubs. They then tell you that technology has moved on a lot - you can then tell them that your golf hasn't - and that once you've got going again you'll maybe have a think. But at the moment you're very happy swinging the bats you have and don't see any point in spending money unless you have to, or have a pressing need. You don't have either. You are on solid ground :)

eddiethebus

Visit site
Awesome clubs!

However, how old is your bag? Does it look like it was on Shell's wonderful world of Golf? That could get some comments!

haha no, i ditched the bag a while ago to save space. i'll need a new one.

there not the + model no, just had a quick look, there black spot models.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
There was a set of beco isi's on facebook a few weeks back for £100, I was gonna buy them just for old times sake, absolute bargain.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Definitely a classic set.

The local pro had a set up for sale few years back but he wanted more for them than what it cost me to buy new in another make.

You need to make sure they have a raised + symbol next to the patent number or else you should not be using them because of conformance issues with the grooves and you may have to stop using them after 2024 unless you can proove their age and dimensions.

Exception: Ping Eye2 irons manufactured before March 31, 1990 with a groove spacing to groove width ratio of 2.3 to 1 are permitted for play under the Rules of Golf, even in certain competitions when the Condition Requiring Clubs Conforming with Groove and Punch Mark Specifications Effective January 1, 2010 is in effect. It is the player's responsibility to refer to the condition of competition posted for the specific competition in which the player is playing to ensure compliance with the above exception and to provide proof of the date on which the club was manufactured. If the player cannot provide such proof, the club must conform with specifications described in Appendix II, 5c(i)."