WiFi speed drop out.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I refer you to post #9.

The wireless adapter in a device is rated to a maximum speed. The older the device, the higher the probability that it will be a slower adapter.

My brand new laptop for some reason kept locking itself to our meshes network 2.4ghz .. speeds of like 15

So I disabled the settings so it can't see 2.4ghz and it forces it onto 5

Speeds of 70 returned

Like you say.. what the device can receive is key

Springveldt

Visit site
Don't understand a lot of hat they are saying, but backs up what I've said
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/threads/anyone-a-trooli-customer.37942/
Had a quick scan of it and from what I've read they are still using PPPoe so any modem/router that is capable of supporting your speeds will work if you can get your credentials which Trooli won't give out. You do have admin access to the router though so depending on what they have done to the firmware you should be able to do one of 3 things.

1. Set it to modem only mode, connect your own router to it and use your own router for wifi and DHCP.
2. If you can't set modem only mode (some don't allow you) you can turn off wifi on the Trooli router, connect your own router and set it into access point mode and use it for wifi.
3. Slightly more technical (but still not difficult) you should be able to SSH into the router and get your Trooli credentials. Then you set those credentials in your router and just use that.

80Mbps over wifi does imply something isn't working unless you were testing on an old device that has a poor wifi chip or already had people streaming over wifi. Even though it isn't working to it's full potential, it's still more than enough for streaming a few UHD streams at the same time so I personally wouldn't worry about it. I'd only swap out the router if you notice issues with devices being kicked from the wifi or see massive slow-downs.

I usually change the ISP router as nearly all of them are garbage and struggle when you add more device onto wifi.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a quick scan of it and from what I've read they are still using PPPoe so any modem/router that is capable of supporting your speeds will work if you can get your credentials which Trooli won't give out. You do have admin access to the router though so depending on what they have done to the firmware you should be able to do one of 3 things.

1. Set it to modem only mode, connect your own router to it and use your own router for wifi and DHCP.
2. If you can't set modem only mode (some don't allow you) you can turn off wifi on the Trooli router, connect your own router and set it into access point mode and use it for wifi.
3. Slightly more technical (but still not difficult) you should be able to SSH into the router and get your Trooli credentials. Then you set those credentials in your router and just use that.

80Mbps over wifi does imply something isn't working unless you were testing on an old device that has a poor wifi chip or already had people streaming over wifi. Even though it isn't working to it's full potential, it's still more than enough for streaming a few UHD streams at the same time so I personally wouldn't worry about it. I'd only swap out the router if you notice issues with devices being kicked from the wifi or see massive slow-downs.

I usually change the ISP router as nearly all of them are garbage and struggle when you add more device onto wifi.

My broadband is BT, they don't allow modem only mode on their routers (am looking to replace with just a modem)

I do option 2 however I do have it set to full mesh mode My router rather than access point

Got around the DHCP issues somehow lol

Springveldt

Visit site
My broadband is BT, they don't allow modem only mode on their routers (am looking to replace with just a modem)

I do option 2 however I do have it set to full mesh mode My router rather than access point

Got around the DHCP issues somehow lol
BT was who I was thinking about as they lock the Hub down. When I got my fibre fitted I got a separate modem from BT, little white box so the Hub was just a router. I got my credentials from it and swapped the Hub out as it was dropping devices all the time for a Netgear N900 router. That was probably around 10 years ago now. Tried to use the hub as an access point upstairs once I started putting Alexa's in every room but even then it wanted to connect to the internet and would flash purple all the time that you couldn't turn off. Covered it with electrical tape to stop the light but anytime we had a power cut or someone turned it off by accident it wouldn't connect to the internet again until I messed with the settings. Eventually replaced it when I upgraded the N900 to a Nighhawk and used the N900 as an access point upstairs.

When I switched to SKY I didn't realise that the Nighthawk didn't support MER (option 61) which SKY use so rather than buy a whole new router I ended up turning wifi off on the SKY modem/router and putting the Nighthawk into access point mode.

Back to PlusNet now and I couldn't be bothered resetting the Nighthawk so have the PlusNet modem/router connected with wifi off and using the 2 netgears as my wifi. I could reset the Nighthawk and replace the PlusNet router with the BT modem but it's working just now so I've just left as is.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have found when you let routers try and be clever, you never get the best results. As per comments before, I now run the ISP supplied kit as a modem only, the wifi is done by my own kit. I also then lock down the 2.4 and 5ghz channels as separate SSID's. Devices are then put on the best network for them.

I only get 56Mbps to the modem, but just tested at my desk which is 10M away from the nearest access point, and I have 50.6 down and 8.4up with a ping of 17ms. OK never good enough for gaming etc, but you would hardwire if you were.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Also need to consider what speed the devices can handle. The wireless adaptor may only be rated to a certain speed.

It's most likely an output issue at the router but don't discount the device adaptor otherwise you could get a spanking router and still have the same issue.

Aha!!!! How do I check this?

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
To slightly defend BT my 1st Gen Smart Hub on 5ghz gives 866Mbps to my new laptop, but the old one I retired last month only got 102mbps.

Device limitation is the key thing.

GuyInLyon

Visit site
Upgraded to full fibre today and we get 315 meg hard wired to the PC, but only getting around 80 thru the WiFi, is such a drop off normal, should I ask for the router to be exchanged ? When we was in BT we only got 22-24 meg and using my own Asus router so never noticed this before ?

My fibre Internet gives me 880mbps hard wired and 550mbps using an (old)Apple AirPort for WiFi.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So this morning the musicast system which is connected to the 2.4 GHz channel keeps dropping out, I contact the online chat and he says he'll monitor at his end and they may be able to send out an exchange unit. He's suggested that I should consider either getting a mesh or connecting my router which I know works and turning off the WiFi on their router.
I will try my router tomorrow.
Am I right in thinking that mesh system s are essentially power line adapter s with WiFi ? They way I interpret they work suggests to me they are ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So this morning the musicast system which is connected to the 2.4 GHz channel keeps dropping out, I contact the online chat and he says he'll monitor at his end and they may be able to send out an exchange unit. He's suggested that I should consider either getting a mesh or connecting my router which I know works and turning off the WiFi on their router.
I will try my router tomorrow.
Am I right in thinking that mesh system s are essentially power line adapter s with WiFi ? They way I interpret they work suggests to me they are ?

No that's not what a mesh is

A mesh system is of routers that cover the house in WiFi

With powerline you plug one into the mains then another the other end to use the signal

Mesh you put say 3 meshes around the house and each will get the best signal they can from one and other and project that around the house

It will self manage so that your devices always get the best signal

one-network-seamless-roaming.jpg

That's a basic idea of how a system works

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Generally the routers supplied by the ISP aren't up to much. We have Sky and their router would drop off speed markedly when any distance from it. We have Sky Q and even then, using their boxes, the speeds weren't great. You have a couple of other options. Invest in a decent third party router or get a decent mesh system. I went for the mesh system, and it's stood me well.
If you're getting 315meg hard wired, your WiFi speeds should be faster than you're seeing.
Speak to your ISP, they can usually analyse remotely.
We are currently being monitored by virgin as we have raised a complaint. Everything is running slow. We should get 200 but are only getting 60 / 70 even over ethernet. This is unacceptable, as I said to the nice bloke on the line. Something's not right and we might as well go to one of the others to get those speeds. Oh, and they keep putting up the prices, and that gets on my wick

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This link might also help
What is Mesh WiFi?
I have to say that changing to a Mesh system has transformed the WiFi in our house.

I'm not sure I need a mesh now, just a better router that doesn't drop out. I'm looking at an Orbi if they won't replace the router I was given. I'm hoping the devolo magic poweline will be good enought to get WiFi in the new cabin, just waiting for a sparks to set up the power in it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure I need a mesh now, just a better router that doesn't drop out. I'm looking at an Orbi if they won't replace the router I was given. I'm hoping the devolo magic poweline will be good enought to get WiFi in the new cabin, just waiting for a sparks to set up the power in it.

If you are getting a new router then mesh is the way to go tbh

Couple of cheap meshes are fine for most houses

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
If you are getting a new router then mesh is the way to go tbh

Couple of cheap meshes are fine for most houses
I'd agree with this. A new router is still limited in its range. A mesh system will give you more consistent coverage throughout the house.
Like @pauljames87 , we have brick walls, and routers, even with power extenders, didn't cut the mustard. I tried a powerline, but that is dependent upon the quality and routing of the wiring, and I was getting slow speeds with that.

Last edited: