WiFi speed drop out.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Upgraded to full fibre today and we get 315 meg hard wired to the PC, but only getting around 80 thru the WiFi, is such a drop off normal, should I ask for the router to be exchanged ? When we was in BT we only got 22-24 meg and using my own Asus router so never noticed this before ?

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
when i had fttp fitted i was told it could take up to 72 hours for the speed to settle,

i was nowhere near what i was expecting, one phone call later and i'm consistently hitting 270mps download and 250 upload

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Generally the routers supplied by the ISP aren't up to much. We have Sky and their router would drop off speed markedly when any distance from it. We have Sky Q and even then, using their boxes, the speeds weren't great. You have a couple of other options. Invest in a decent third party router or get a decent mesh system. I went for the mesh system, and it's stood me well.
If you're getting 315meg hard wired, your WiFi speeds should be faster than you're seeing.
Speak to your ISP, they can usually analyse remotely.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Also need to consider what speed the devices can handle. The wireless adaptor may only be rated to a certain speed.

It's most likely an output issue at the router but don't discount the device adaptor otherwise you could get a spanking router and still have the same issue.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unfortunately you have to use their router, I did ask if I could use my Asus but you need to upgrade to the business account for an extra £35/month.
I'll ask them to check tomorrow and see what they say.
If not I'll look into a mesh system.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unfortunately you have to use their router, I did ask if I could use my Asus but you need to upgrade to the business account for an extra £35/month.
I'll ask them to check tomorrow and see what they say.
If not I'll look into a mesh system.

Why not put their router in modem mode and use your router as the router

That's the set up I have

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have never heard of anyone charging to use your own router

They provide one to you because they have to.. what you then use is up to you

Maybe they miss understood your question

Have you tried ditching their router and putting yours on only?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've noticed that ours is very flakey. We're with virgin and have never had a problem until recently. The laptop is really slow sometimes and others nice and fast. This makes me think that it's the laptop that's the problem. Our piggin phones are quicker.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've noticed that ours is very flakey. We're with virgin and have never had a problem until recently. The laptop is really slow sometimes and others nice and fast. This makes me think that it's the laptop that's the problem. Our piggin phones are quicker.

I refer you to post #9.

The wireless adapter in a device is rated to a maximum speed. The older the device, the higher the probability that it will be a slower adapter.