WiFi Extenders

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Out of curiosity what device needs an Ethernet port these days?

Anything connected to SKYQ judging by the complaints about it's WiFi

I connect my desk top PC via ethernet, it is very rare for a desktop PC to have WiFi and as the cables are already there I do the same with SKY Q box.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site

I connect my desk top PC via ethernet, it is very rare for a desktop PC to have WiFi and as the cables are already there I do the same with SKY Q box.

My PC does have wifi and I used it for ages but a Windows update broke it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

My Sky Q box works fine connecting wirelessly to the Sky Router and the Sky Q Mini connects to the Sky Q box equally fine.

As an aside - just spotted the following on the Sky website on setting up your Sky Q Mini. Oops. Now you really would have thought...

Setting up a Sky Q Mini box for the first time
Already set up your Sky Q Mini box? Skip to step 2 if you need to connect your Sky Q Mini box to a new broadband hub or router.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My Sky Q box works fine connecting wirelessly to the Sky Router and the Sky Q Mini connects to the Sky Q box equally fine.

As an aside - just spotted the following on the Sky website on setting up your Sky Q Mini. Oops. Now you really would have thought...

Setting up a Sky Q Mini box for the first time
Already set up your Sky Q Mini box? Skip to step 2 if you need to connect your Sky Q Mini box to a new broadband hub or router.

My comments came as frequent visitor the SKY forums and looking at the large number of posters who have WiFi problems with SKY Q

I am not saying all that have it have problems.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My PC does have wifi and I used it for ages but a Windows update broke it.

You probably just need to find later drivers.

If not one of these works well with Win10 (bought to see if I could improve WiFi on my notebook)

DSCN3628.JPG

I lost the bluetooth to my PC with the latest windows 10 update but sadly I cannot find a newer driver. Not bothered about it too much these days as I used it send files from an older phone.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I will give it another go, tried the ones windows gives, which used to work but stopped working.

I just switched it to wired which wasn’t an issue at the time.

If it is on board WiFi the first port of call is the motherboard manufacturers website. If it is an add on card yu might need to look at teh board to see the manufacturer or it might be in the list of devices (control panel) but shown as not working.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it is on board WiFi the first port of call is the motherboard manufacturers website. If it is an add on card yu might need to look at teh board to see the manufacturer or it might be in the list of devices (control panel) but shown as not working.

Ive been through most of the usual stuff to fix it, wasted about 4 hours so just went wired, went down to 100Mbs and about 8 ping instead of 6 so not the end of the world.

I figure it is a windows/device issue so you are right the manufactures site will have some drivers I could try, the issue may also be a DNS one that I couldnt figure out, even after flushing the cache so just gave up in the end.

I just had to get dirty digging the old powerline adapter out the shed, three boxes deep of course!

Last edited:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
No one? Really? Ok I'll ask. Just how bluddy big is your house that you need a wifi extention? Mine works great in our 5 meter garden!!!!!!!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My comments came as frequent visitor the SKY forums and looking at the large number of posters who have WiFi problems with SKY Q

I am not saying all that have it have problems.
Sure - just noting that I don't have to use the ethernet connection. I didn't appreciate that you were having difficulties wirelessly and so why you were having to use the wired connection,

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No one? Really? Ok I'll ask. Just how bluddy big is your house that you need a wifi extention? Mine works great in our 5 meter garden!!!!!!!

It may not just be the size (but i guess you know that anyways :) )

A friend has a grade 2 listed cottage/house .... the walls about 5inch thick and probably has asbestos in them and lead paint. Cant get his wifi across a 3 bed house.

Cake

Club Champion
Visit site

it isn’t just about size of house - it’s more about what is in the way to attenuate the signal. The signal to your garden may well be fine if there is a clear line of sight to the router through a window, but for others there will be multiple walls (that are thicker in older houses) that ‘get in the way’.

The phone socket in my reasonably sized 3 bed house is tucked away in my office in the middle of the ground floor, so that is where my router lives... streaming from there to the TV 2 rooms away was pretty dire, so I’ve put a mesh WiFi system in which effectively has 3 WiFi points that share the load and are a massive improvement.

Cake

Club Champion
Visit site
It may not just be the size (but i guess you know that anyways :) )

A friend has a grade 2 listed cottage/house .... the walls about 5inch thick and probably has asbestos in them and lead paint. Cant get his wifi across a 3 bed house.

What he said ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sure - just noting that I don't have to use the ethernet connection. I didn't appreciate that you were having difficulties wirelessly and so why you were having to use the wired connection,

I have no and have never had problems with my wireless connection because the ethernet cables were already in place so got plugged in when the box was installed.

At one time the whole of my house was networked by ethernet cables.

My references were about the number that do have problems based upon advice being sought on the SKY forum.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have no and have never had problems with my wireless connection because the ethernet cables were already in place so got plugged in when the box was installed.

At one time the whole of my house was networked by ethernet cables.

My references were about the number that do have problems based upon advice being sought on the SKY forum.
apologies - I missed the point you were making. Anyway - just to note that if I had wifi issues with my Sky Q box I'd just go back to how I connected my Sky+ box which was by ethernet cable into a TP-Link power line socket back to where the router lives in another room.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
This has gone a little off-topic from the original post but FWIW I don't have Sky Q but Sky gave me their Sky Q router which is really not that great so doesn't have great range. Their 2.4GHz signal in particular was poor and we kept losing connection. Also, it only has two ethernet ports which is crazy IMHO. In fairness we had the same WiFi issues with the TalkTalk router which gave out stronger signals, so I guess it's our house. Using the TP-Link mesh system has really made a difference.