Tesla Outage

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Was amused by this:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-59357306

OK, I know nothing about how Tesla cars are operated, but...

Surely using a phone app can't be the only way to access a Tesla? What if you get mugged and your phone is stolen?
There must be some other device (I realise it probably won't be an actual key) that the owner ought to have with them, surely?

*IF* a phone app is the only method, that's inexcusable from Tesla.
And please don't tell me it needs an internet connection to work!

Any Tesla owners out tere who can shed some light on this?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surprisingly (?) quiet from the pro EV brigade on here. Awaiting the “ah but…” responses.

Telsa have key fobs aswell, no doubt because the app is so stable normally people have taken to leaving the key at home

Not the best idea, surely keep it in your pocket

I wouldn't dare not carry my key

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No-one is going to change their mind so what's the point?

Maybe everytime a negative article is posted should just find a random break down ,or a driver running out of petrol to counter it lol

I have noticed a lot of issues are user error.. I mean running out of charge? That's like me waking up with 10% phone battery and being surprised when it dies after an hour

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Surprisingly (?) quiet from the pro EV brigade on here. Awaiting the “ah but…” responses.
Maybe they're all playing golf. Or (the Tesla owners) have worked around it with alternatives.
Proximity unlocking does seem to have been a bit of 'tech for tech's sake' with more potential riks than benefits though!
No-one is going to change their mind so what's the point?
Would make an appropriate Signature for some!

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Maybe everytime a negative article is posted should just find a random break down ,or a driver running out of petrol to counter it lol

I have noticed a lot of issues are user error.. I mean running out of charge? That's like me waking up with 10% phone battery and being surprised when it dies after an hour
Not sure any of the above is relevant to the thread topic.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Can I just point out that I wasn't having a dig at EVs? I just wanted to know if Tesla had really been that stupid.
Now we know that Teslas have a key fob, the BBC article is just another non-news event. All those idiots getting stranded because they didn't have their key fobs got what they deserved.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Can I just point out that I wasn't having a dig at EVs? I just wanted to know if Tesla had really been that stupid.
Now we know that Teslas have a key fob, the BBC article is just another non-news event. All those idiots getting stranded because they didn't have their key fobs got what they deserved.
They did.
But Tesla have severely underestimated the stupid of the General Public.
And how so many people are relying on their phones rather than the slightly old fashioned ways of starting a car.
To have a scenario where the car can't be started because an App won't work shows that new is not always better.
Can't remember the last time my key let me down...

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They did.
And how so many people are relying on their phones rather than the slightly old fashioned ways of starting a car.
To have a scenario where the car can't be started because an App won't work shows that new is not always better.

Even key fobs have back up keys inside of them to least get you in the car most of the time

It's like Google pay.. it could replace my card but I still have my card with me.. Google pay should be for when you forget your wallet not in place of

Much like this app it should be as a back up to open the car not as your main way

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
They did.

More concerning to me is the fact that certain concert promoters now deliver tickets with a QR code via an app; if that app or your phone fails you're absolutely stuffed. Not sure what was wrong with the old paper ticket.