WiFi Extenders

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Simple question but I can't find a definitive answer.
I have a device which needs an ethernet connection to connect to the internet, do WiFi extenders with an ethernet port allow this?
I think I'm reading some extenders use the ethernet port as a wired connection to your router to receive internet, but others use it as a wired extension of the network (WiFi is received wirelessly) enabling you to plug your device into it to get internet.
Hope that makes a bit of sense :p

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You probably want a wireless bridge/gateway rather than an extender although some bridges can also be used as an extender as well if you want this functionality as well.

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Search for this on amazon.

Vonets Mini Portable Wireless Router 300Mbps Networking WiFi Bridge Booster AP VAR11N-300

£15 Does exactly what you need just set it to bridge mode.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Simple question but I can't find a definitive answer.
I have a device which needs an ethernet connection to connect to the internet, do WiFi extenders with an ethernet port allow this?
I think I'm reading some extenders use the ethernet port as a wired connection to your router to receive internet, but others use it as a wired extension of the network (WiFi is received wirelessly) enabling you to plug your device into it to get internet.
Hope that makes a bit of sense :p

Out of curiosity what device needs an Ethernet port these days?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve hodgepodged my in-laws house with powerline adapters but there are still some dead spots, the right plugs just not in the right places! Also thick walled old house with weird extensions etc doesn’t help.

Three adapters and the main unit just about covers a 4 bed house!

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve hodgepodged my in-laws house with powerline adapters but there are still some dead spots, the right plugs just not in the right places! Also thick walled old house with weird extensions etc doesn’t help.

Three adapters and the main unit just about covers a 4 bed house!

Mesh may be the way to go.. i m thinking of doing it, but need the price to drop..
The option i am thinking is Google Nest WiFI... it doubles up as a speaker so, no you can hide it in plain sight...

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mesh may be the way to go.. i m thinking of doing it, but need the price to drop..

We had three old wifi powerline adapters lying around and the mesh cost was a big red flag.

Powerline has speed limitations, usually equate around 100Mbs for normal uses, despite them saying 500 you are always limited by the slowest part of the network which data travels through.

In my house I have just one powerline to Ethernet extender, no extra wireless, usually a bit cheaper. Mine has three Ethernet ports on it so I get wired speed and latency on three devices on the other side of the house to the router.

Last edited:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
You can get WiFi extenders which have an ethernet port on them to allow you to connect devices via wire.
You can also get Powerline adaptors which use the electrical wiring in your house to transfer the broadband.
I have moved onto a Mesh system which works better for me and it also has an ethernet port so I can connect wired equipment to it if required.

A few points to note.
  • Powerline adaptor speeds vary depending upon the quality of your wiring. In my house, I get slower ethernet speeds from my mesh system if connected via the powerline rather than just linking up the units via WiFi
  • Some ethernet ports only go up to 100Mbps. It may be worth looking for ones with a gigabit port or ports.
  • None of the above will speed up your broadband and in some instances you can see a substantial drop in speed.
A site like HotUKDeals is a good place to look for decent prices and advice.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
In my house my wifi is faster and has lower latency than my powerline!

I’m just forced to use the powerline on a few devices that don’t have wifi.

My router and PC have gigabit network ports but my “500 Mbs” powerline adapter has only a 100Mbs port.

How they are allowed to get away with that I will never know...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I use TP-Link over my house power circuit to get wireless and ethernet connections available to me in my garden studio. I have no issues. Works well. Though at present I only run my laptop, printer and phone off it.

Last edited:

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just to be clarify, I can get WiFi in the area the device is situated, I just need to piggyback that existing WiFi signal and turn it into a wired connection.

Get the Vonets device I mentioned above. I have something similar in my house and it works great.