Why is compass banned?

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Compasses and Barometers were banned long before smart phones were invented. You need to look somewehere else for a good conspiracy.

Agreed but if i have a compass, spirit level or barometer etc in my bag and I don't use them then it is ok. But if I have a phone with a compass or if I have the opportunity to access the information through a smart phone which I use as a GSP device then I am dq'd. load of pish - why can we not self regulate as we do with all the other rules. I know some may abuse the rules but I have seen a lot of folks take illegal drops and break rules, but generally these are accidents and I don't know too many that will knowingly break the rules - and if they did find out I fail to see that it would give them a significant advantage.

I can't afford to fork out £250 for a GPS, and even if I could I don't think I would as I got a free one with my phone - so I will just do without in comps. I can only but feel that the R&A have introduced a rule that helps to ensure that the money from these devices creates a future for the golf industry - and I don't have a problem with that if they did not ask so much for their single use devices. But most are single trick devices - I don't understand why the R&A did not think about creating a new market for the devices beyond GPs - GPS with stats - ie fairways hit GIR's etc, score card checking, automated scoring incl rules queries (perhaps local rules and course anomalies too) perhaps fully automated digital scorecards, pedometers, exercise logs etc etc. Loads of great directions that the manufacturers ca go with it - but simply blocked by the words 'dedicated device'.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
There are plenty of smart phones out there which don't have the banned functions on them, so you had a choice when you got your phone.

A mate of mine uses his old, pre upgrade phone as a gps, with a pay as you go card in it. Cost him nothing. You don't have to have a dedicated unit.

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There are plenty of smart phones out there which don't have the banned functions on them, so you had a choice when you got your phone.

A mate of mine uses his old, pre upgrade phone as a gps, with a pay as you go card in it. Cost him nothing. You don't have to have a dedicated unit.

I spoke to our M&H and they stated that the local rule for us required a dedicated device as anything that can access the information through cellular data and an internet connection would break the rules. Hence any smart phone is illegal :( IMHO it's madness - but rules are rules :(

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
That is a strange interpretation.

At my course it is only really iphones which are banned, and that isn't enforced. I'm guessing most iphone users don't even know they are not allowed.