Why do I hit it right? (Video link)

Mon_papillon

Hacker
Visit site
Hello, I'm new to golf, been playing for about 6 months, had 7 lessons with a local pro and due to start another 6 end of the week.

I've been lurking for the past few months but just registered so hoping for some insight.

I am hitting the ball right, consistently! I got a friend to record a video and it looks like my hands are forward in the down swing? What do you guys think?

http://vid288.photobucket.com/album...trim.291EA6A9-0009-4485-B0E0-0A7163B23F67.mp4

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Welcome... someone will be along soon(ish) with an indepth reply.

welcome to the forum :thup:

Just out of interest, what's your h/cap (or don't you have one yet?) and do you shank the ball occasionally? Pretty good looking swing you have there already.

Last edited:

Mon_papillon

Hacker
Visit site
Hey, thanks for your reply!

I don't currently have a handicap, only started playing early September with some hand me down clubs (recently got fitted for some irons which made my strike far more consistent)

I appreciate your comment on my swing - has come along way over the last 6months and thanks to the lessons, I have had about a month with no lessons just range and the odd round and have developed the push/bend to the right and can't seem to crack it! I am due to start lessons again next week but was keen to get some insight :)

As for shanks - only very occasionally, no more often than a thin or fat (joys of being a beginner) my strike however is generally pretty good 9/10 times

C

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That one seemed to go pretty straight - at least initially! Do they go straight right? Or do they bend to the right halfway or more along the flight - ie fade/slice. I can see why a slice could happen as you are cutting across the ball with an out-to-in swing.

As JO posted, pretty good swing for 6 months or so! You teacher will be the best to advise, and seems to have done a pretty good job so far, but I'd like to see less space between your arms and your chest (more connection) and a slightly better balance, as that seems to be associated with the out-to-in issue. Both issues might disappear if you swing a bit more in-to-out.

Bob's Headcover Drill could help! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsrovFJ3o9I

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm no expert but I've watched the video a few times and it looks to me like you are hitting the ball a little on an out to in line. Now if you get the face back to the target line that means you'll hit a fade or slice where the ball will start straight or a little right and curve further right as it travels. Occasionally if you get the face closed to the target line you'll hit a shot that goes straight and left.

If you look at the club when it's vertical as it would look in a mirror you'll notice that on the way down the club is more vertical than on the way up - this should really be the other way round, take a look at some slow motion videos of pros in the 'down the line' view and the shaft is lower on he way down compared to on the way up. That means you'll be hitting more in-to-out and that should straighten things up or even give you a slight draw.

Now, if only I could put all of that into practise myself!!! :)

Mon_papillon

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks Fox/Matty

Yes the ball tends to start straight then fade - the longer the club the more extreme (more speed and distance enhances the issue which isn't a surprise)

The reason I have the video is to show my pro at my lesson so hoping that will help, be nice to have a few things to try at the range before my lessons start again. I'll certainly look at the head cover drill - thanks for the link.

So is the out - in path coming from the disconnect of arms and chest, if I try to focus on keeping my arms closer would than encourage a more neutral swing?

It wouldn't be as fun if it was easy...right?!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Super quick ball flight lesson.

Imagine the clubface is straight (square) at impact. (pointing directly at your target)

If you swing left the ball will curve to the right as you have added spin

If you swing right the ball will curve left as you have added spin.

The ball will START wherever the clubface is pointed at impact (so in your case the clubface is pointing a little right at impact as the ball is heading off to the right a little) and then spin according to the direction you swung in relation to the face... in your case you are swinging a little left (so the ball curves MORE to the right in the air).

How's that sound?

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi and welcome, agree with the others that it looks 'over the top'
tons of vids on youtube but this is a good one.

[video=youtube;TMpZ3Dk6JwA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMpZ3Dk6JwA[/video]

Mon_papillon

Hacker
Visit site
That is superb, you don't know how many videos and docs I have seen read that don't summarise it as simple as that - I love laymens terms!

So what I need to do is reduce my out to in path which will reduce the amount of side spin generated therefore making the flight straighter!

i shall try the headcover drill linked earlier to try and reduce the out to in!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Take all of the following with a pinch of salt and listen to your pro first and foremost, but......

I've taken a still from your video.

image.jpg

I think your backswing could stop right there or even a little earlier, whereas it carries on for a little way past parallel.

Also, in an ideal world your club face angle would mirror the back of your left hand (so at around 45° - yours faces more to the sky).
I think your grip is a little strong (hands too far clockwise on the grip) which has the face closed at the top, and it looks like you hold the face open through impact rather than letting the club come through naturally.

No doubt others may have a different opinion, but they are my thoughts, not saying I'm definitely right. :)

Agree with everyone that's said your swing is very good for such a new golfer.

Mon_papillon

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks Region, on looking at my video I do go quite a way back which seems to encourage a head lift - I shall try shortening it.

ultimately the lesson with my pro will help, but it's good to go in forearmed :)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Btw. If you want a drill to help with that separation of arms from torso (loss of connection), then another classic is the use of a towel held under the armpits while you make half swings - anything more and the towel will/should drop.

However, be warned that the towel should be wrapped around your back, not across your chest, as the idea is to engage/connect your upper back muscles, not your chest ones, with your arm ones!

That improved connection will mean that the club won't be thrown/cast by the angular momentum generated when you turn in the downswing.

Last edited: