Is my swing on the right track?

crux

Club Champion
gonewhackit.blogspot.com
So I've been playing for just over a year, in the past 3 months I think I have come on in leaps and bounds. Despite initially taking 5 lessons form my club pro last year my swing was pants. Over hinging the wrists at the top, flipping the club through the ball and an over the top in to out was just a recipe for inconsistent golf.

Luckily I found a great pro to work with these past months and three video lessons have me releasing the club better with a neutral grip and more width from the top which has really improved my consistency and ball striking.

My last lesson was focused on striking the ball before the turf, and this is where I'm finding difficulty, I just can't do it consistently. I video my own swing after the lesson and compared it to pro swings and noticed a glaring difference. On the down swing where as most pro's start with a turn of the lower body, I started with my shoulders, at impact pro's hips and shoulders are slightly open, while I was just back to square.

After seeing this I finally think I understand how to swing inside out, or at least inside to square to inside. That turn stared with the lower body brings the right elbow in and maintains the spine angle better allowing you to come from the inside. After practice the video shows me I can achieve this move most of the time.

However I still can't hit down on the shot's constantly, this brings me to my real question, I don't seam to maintain the wrist hinge and strike down on the ball, it looks on my video that I lose the angle between club and left arm much earlier than pro's and indeed my biggest nemesis at the moment is a slight fat shot.

What I'm hoping people will be able to tell me, is (a) do you think im on the right path with this hip first transition move and (b) how do you maintain the lag a bit to get your hands to the ball line before the club head? (c) I can't for the life of me keep the flex in my right leg on the back swing, never have been able to. Is this causing a problem and if so, any tips on sorting it out?

I would go and ask my pro, he's on jollies at the moment. :p

8i Down the line

8i Front view