What was I doing? How do I correct it?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Popped to the range yesterday with my boy.

We split a 100 ball bucket and after about 40 balls, he wanted to do some putting which left me with about 60 or so balls.

Of the 60, 40+ were shanks!

When I did find the middle, the ball started fractionally right of target, but then curved severely left nearly always missing the target quite a bit left.

I only hit 5 good balls out of the 60.

20151004_155729_zpsmq33arjd.jpg

Most of the strike marks, as you'd expect, are towards the heel/hosel area.

The shanks are something I used to suffer quite a lot, but over the last 18 months hardly hit one at all :mad:

Pretty sure this is a "Could be a number of things" question, but any thoughts on what I may have been doing and how to correct it?

As an aside I have been striking it very well of late and have a lesson booked with my pro 29th of this month to start my winter swing improvements.

Any thoughts/comments appreciated :thup:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Some people have an out to in swing.
In their effort to change it, they try and swing in to out.
That is fine until they get too much in to out, thats when they start shanking.
If this is you, just try and swing on a more 'neutral' swing path

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Some people have an out to in swing.
In their effort to change it, they try and swing in to out.
That is fine until they get too much in to out, thats when they start shanking.
If this is you, just try and swing on a more 'neutral' swing path

Thanks Bob.

After 18 months of work with my pro, my path is definitely from the inside.

Perhaps it was just one of those days where something in my swing was causing me to come more from the inside.

G

guest100718

i'd forget it personally. And just assume its a one off.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
given the swing motion think it just likely as the swing motion is 'in' from under plane then posture straightens up some into impact

could well be that just got into a sequence that session of the hips both straightening & moving forwards little more so club presentation at impact more out to the ball/target line at the hozel

had a look back at the swing sequence & am pretty convinced that slight set-up adjustment plus a little ways different takeback to the top of the swing would have a very marked improvement on the motion the shot outcomes as a norm - so the index
mostly based on what the right arm/shoulder are at address & then what happens through the movement back to the top