Why can't Tiger come from behind to win a major?

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
On Sky last night, they listed Tigers win rate when leading going into the last round of a major and compared it to the rate when he's behind. I think the figures were these:

Leading 12 times, won 12 times.

Behind 28 times, won 0 times

It's astonishing, especially when you consider that for example yesterday, there was only Aaron Baddeley ahead of him and he was pretty much out of it after the first hole. What has Tiger got to do to win when he's not leading going into the last round?

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Personally I don't think there's any particular reason for it - it's just a strange anomaly. Having failed for the second consecutive time to win from the last group, this will be a record he'll be desperate to put right. I wouldn't expect trend to continue much longer.

B

birdieman

He isn't actually Superman despite what the media tells us. When he's ahead he can play the percentages but when forced to look for birdies comes unstuck going for tricky flags etc.
It's certainly not a question of bottle or nerves just being forced to play more aggressively when behind than he wants to.

B

birdieman

par par, he's a long way off being the world's best putter, Tiger's currently lying 19th on the PGA tour putting stats for 2007. Mickelson is at no.1 with some guy Nathan Green at no.2. Best European is Harrington at 4th.
No one really holed putts at Oakmont, it's about hitting fairways and greens then 2 putting, level par would have one it by a mile!

par_par_par_treble

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i would never expect him to go so long missing half chances (and a couple of really good chances) even on those greens. Other players managed to make birdies from similar places

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I enjoyed every minute of it. The course rewarded straight shots, and if you missed a fairway, more often than not a shot was dropped. The greens were a bit tasty though.. I saw an interview on sky with one of the members who said that they are normally quicker than they were for the open !!