Why are the shanks contagious?

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had the shanks really badly for about 4 months 10-12years ago. By and large they have now gone, but just recently the odd one or two are popping up and terror over the ball is beginning to get into my mind. Ironically this has started happening since I was fitted for my Callaway X2 Hots last year.

I'm playing in a group tomorrow with a guy who has the plague so badly at the moment that even his putter is liable to throw one in.

My question is why is this malady so contagious? - seeing someone in their grip or even the thought of possibly hitting one oneself can induce them.

It makes no sense.

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Simples - think about something and it will happen ; doesn't matter whether it's the shanks, that OOB, a bunker etc once it's in the mind the probity of making it happen increases.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Simples - think about something and it will happen ; doesn't matter whether it's the shanks, that OOB, a bunker etc once it's in the mind the probity of making it happen increases.

This makes perfect sense of course as it's the exact same concept of visualising and then executing the perfect shot - but only in reverse.

However once the demons are in your head is there anything other than mind over matter, a supremely positive attitude, total and utter self-belief in oneself or perhaps hypnotism that will consign these nasty and destructive little gremlins into the outer darkness?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
This makes perfect sense of course as it's the exact same concept of visualising and then executing the perfect shot - but only in reverse.

However once the demons are in your head is there anything other than mind over matter, a supremely positive attitude, total and utter self-belief in oneself or perhaps hypnotism that will consign these nasty and destructive little gremlins into the outer darkness?

Er.....nope

Father_Ted

Club Champion
Visit site

hasn't happened for any of the lotteries I've entered thinking it must be my turn