WHS how long can a counting score count?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Played with a guy yesterday, who missed much of past couple of years through illness.

The 20th score on his record is 4th May 2019. The differential is the 2nd lowest in the list... but it is not one of his eight counting.

Is that because its over 3 years old?

It'll drop off next week anyway, but it raised a question on the WhatsApp Group!

Screenshot_20220515-085013.jpg

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I didnt think scores expired, interesting that the 20th and 21st scores were the same day, not saying it has anything to do with it but just something I noted, (at different courses too)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I didnt think scores expired, interesting that the 20th and 21st scores were the same day, not saying it has anything to do with it but just something I noted, (at different courses too)
What is the difference in playing/posting times of the two scores (20 & 21)?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Note the "International Course "... a round in England, :ROFLMAO: manually keyed by the pro shop, so played a couple of days earlier.

And I'm assured, it was showing as counting before he played yesterday.
It's not Wales, what do you suggest they name it?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Indeed. That's what I thought. So why is the second best score not included in the best eight? He's emailed Wales Golf. I bet they don't reply.

Will update if they do.

As some one else pointed out he has two scores on that day recorded at different courses may be there is some sort of time code error in the two and it is the higher score that actually counts. Although I note your reply.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
What is the difference in playing/posting times of the two scores (20 & 21)?

No idea, but yesterday the International Course score was within the top 8 and in the same order in the list. Looking at the date its been there since whs started. This morning it dropped of and higher diffs are in the 8 counting. We're all stumped :)

wjemather

Visit site
Scores posted on the same day do not necessarily display in the correct order on the dotgolf WHS platform (used by England, Wales and Ireland) - I have noticed they are usually reversed. So in this case, I would expect that the 21st score is actually the 20th (and vice versa).

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
No idea, but yesterday the International Course score was within the top 8 and in the same order in the list. Looking at the date its been there since whs started. This morning it dropped of and higher diffs are in the 8 counting. We're all stumped :)
I think there was a similar thread here or somewhere else a short while ago. Have you checked the arithmetic. I think the other thread found the the 'wrong' 8th best score was showing in the 8 but when the calculation was checked the other score had actually featured as the 8th.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
Scores posted on the same day do not necessarily display in the correct order on the dotgolf WHS platform (used by England, Wales and Ireland) - I have noticed they are usually reversed. So in this case, I would expect that the 21st score is actually the 20th (and vice versa).

So you are saying that although the scores have been displayed in a certain order for the past couple of years, they actually should be "taken" in a different order. (As they were posted on same day)

Hence, although the score in question is displayed 20th (visually), in reality it is 21st.

Well, that's nutty enough to be a great answer.

Who on earth would configure a system to do that? Actually, don't answer that. :eek:

I'll let you know what Wales Golf say.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
I think there was a similar thread here or somewhere else a short while ago. Have you checked the arithmetic. I think the other thread found the the 'wrong' 8th best score was showing in the 8 but when the calculation was checked the other score had actually featured as the 8th.

I'll check,, esp in the context of WJE's thoughts above...... seems an odd way to set up a system. Display one way, but record another.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have had this myself. 36 holes in one day, and the Lowe differential wasn’t counting, but the higher was. when raised, handicap sec knew why, and only way to adjust was to alter the date of one of the rounds, which then sorted everything out overnight.

system doesn’t seem to like 36 hole days for whatever reason

wjemather

Visit site
So you are saying that although the scores have been displayed in a certain order for the past couple of years, they actually should be "taken" in a different order. (As they were posted on same day)

Hence, although the score in question is displayed 20th (visually), in reality it is 21st.

Well, that's nutty enough to be a great answer.

Who on earth would configure a system to do that? Actually, don't answer that. :eek:

I'll let you know what Wales Golf say.
Yep. Played a 36-hole comp yesterday and the morning round is being displayed as #1, with the afternoon round as #2. This has been the same with previous 36-holers, and despite appearances, they are ordered correctly for handicapping (which is what really matters) so eventually the afternoon round will show at #21 and be counting while the morning round will be at #20 and not.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
Rather than 36 hole comp, the score was from an away game a few days earlier. So it was added by the proshop manually, as it seems the same day as a comp score at home club. So they show as being on same day.

So, if you have a counting score on positions 19 or 20 and they are showing as same day, don't assume its the last one that will drop off. ?

As can be seen from the picture, one of the lowest scores "above the line" (ie within the 20) isn't counting because "in reality, it should be one place lower! (We think!??)

Of course, Wales golf might confirm different, but another but of fun from the WHS Boffins

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
There was a cut-off for the scores that were transferred to the WHS, but that was just a transitional arrangement. It has maybe left a mistaken idea that it's built into the system.