Amazing how it can all come together

msbyrne

Visit site
As a long time lurker on this forum but never poster I thought I might share my delight in finally breaking 100. I've been playing for a few years and never managed to put a round together, indeed seeing my initial handicap of 26 creep up to 28 and losing all hope.

Unbelievably however I finally cracked the 100 bug in ridiculous style today. I scored 87 at Hurtmore GC which is admittedly a short course (SSS 67) but I'm over the moon, it was as if everything clicked all at once. I didn't even have my A swing but managed to keep a ball out of trouble most of the time and managed 9 GIRs. I feel I left shots out there as well given I missed 8 birdie putts within ten feet.

As overjoyed as I am I know it'll be hard to get to this point again but I can only feel like this year will be the time I finally drop my HC a little bit. Anyone else have any stories of ridiculous personal bests? I managed to beat my best ever score by 14 strokes.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good shooting mate.
Just keep on going and it'll steadily improve ................ until you reach my age when it all turns to sh1t!
:thup:

xcore

Head Pro
Visit site
Hit my pb 18 holes then pb over the front 9 a acouple of weeks apart recently, finally feels like something's clicking as you said.
Played hurtmore acouple of times and have always enjoyed it

msbyrne

Visit site
It's funny how it just takes a bit of discipline. I always make an arse of myself on a few holes and ruin a perfectly decent scorecard. As a poor golfer in general it pays to be ultra conservative and never play a shot which will even get you close to danger if you don't have to.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As a long time lurker on this forum but never poster I thought I might share my delight in finally breaking 100. I've been playing for a few years and never managed to put a round together, indeed seeing my initial handicap of 26 creep up to 28 and losing all hope.

Unbelievably however I finally cracked the 100 bug in ridiculous style today. I scored 87 at Hurtmore GC which is admittedly a short course (SSS 67) but I'm over the moon, it was as if everything clicked all at once. I didn't even have my A swing but managed to keep a ball out of trouble most of the time and managed 9 GIRs. I feel I left shots out there as well given I missed 8 birdie putts within ten feet.

As overjoyed as I am I know it'll be hard to get to this point again but I can only feel like this year will be the time I finally drop my HC a little bit. Anyone else have any stories of ridiculous personal bests? I managed to beat my best ever score by 14 strokes.
Nice one, beating your best by 14 is some going and I bet you are over the moon. I was when I cracked 90 last week. Hopefully you will now be able to beat 100 again soon and then fairly consistently. Hopefully, your handicap will start to come down a little too. The first pro who gave me lessons said that you don't tend to see a gradual improvement, but occasional jumps forward and maybe you've had the first of those.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well done. Now that monkey's off your back, you'll probably find you do it again and again now.

How did you get given a handicap of 26 having never scored less than 100 though?? That seems harsh!

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Same for me, have been getting scores for a few months in the 105-100 range but never seemed to have a good from and back nine. However today playing the Aliss course at Ferndown (and it was a freebie!) I managed to get a respectable 92 (par 68 as I went off the gold tees), which is 6 under par (nett). Hoping it wasn't a one off.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Stumbled across the card i have kept with my best score of 86 on it. Chuffed to bits with it I am. Over the next day or so if you felt like me you will realise you have got a few monkeys off your back knowing you can " do things". Sounds like keeping your ball outta trouble without having your A swing was a good course management round. Well do me man.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Same here. I played three handicap rounds with my club, never breaking 100, then got given a handicap of 24!
That's mad. I got given 24 handicap at my place when I started, but one of the cards I submitted was a 93 round I think, and I even thought that was a tad harsh, haha.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well done. Now that monkey's off your back, you'll probably find you do it again and again now.

How did you get given a handicap of 26 having never scored less than 100 though?? That seems harsh!

My understanding is that any shots above 2 or 3 over par on a hole are ignored for the purposes of setting a handicap. So, say, a 9 on a par 4 is reduced to a 7.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My understanding is that any shots above 2 or 3 over par on a hole are ignored for the purposes of setting a handicap. So, say, a 9 on a par 4 is reduced to a 7.
I know that but that assumes his card was basically just full of 10s and pars doesn't it?? I mean, it might have been.. haha. Either way I think you're quite unlucky to be given anything below 28 if you've never hit under 100.