Who Wants To Sell Me A Driver??

S

Snelly

After breaking my beloved Ping Rapture before Christmas, I now need a new driver. I have borrowed a mates Callaway Razr Tour as a stop gap but need a new one really.

I have looked on eBay but am wary of fakes plus I am a bit of a shaft luddite so am never quite sure what is the right thing to go for.

Against this context, I wondered if anyone on the forum had something that they don't use any more that they think might suit?

My last driver was great. A Ping Rapture with an Aldila VS-Proto 70 shaft in it. I am looking for something close to this.

In terms of my driver ball flight, I want something that keeps the ball low as I have a high ball flight generally. I am a long hitter with a smooth swing.

Does anyone have anything in the garage that they want to sell that they think is suitable? My brand preference is for Ping but I am open to other makes, although reluctant to buy TM, Titleist, Nike or Callaway - and I appreciate this narrows things down!

Lastly, as an infrequent golfer, I don't want to spend too much otherwise I would've bought a Ping i30 with their stock stiff shaft that I tried as it was fantastic.

Cheers.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
910 may well be a good Driver, but it can be a bit unforgiving for the 'occasional' player that Snelly describes himself. The 'I' series is the 'least forgiving' of the Pings, so if that works, there isn't really a forgiveness problem anyway!

The scaremongering about Ebay is exactly that! You have significant rights to return fakes, which are usually pretty obvious - and rarely seen in the sort of kit targeted imo.

So have faith in another Rapture or any good value recent Ping driver - and the shafts they fit. If you happen to see one with the same spec shaft as the previous one, all the better!

@Snelly What were the specs of the Rapture/shaft you broke? Good points/bad points about the flight/forgiveness/length? There's a 9* V2 w 55gm Oban Devotion at a fair price (apart from extortionate Parcelfarce shipping!), but that's for a reasonably specific customer - almost me!

Last edited:
G

guest100718

I have a TM R11s TP with Blur Blue 005 shaft in Reg
A Callway BB 460 in reg
And a Wilson Blue ridge 1 wood with a steel shaft ( the wood is wooden..)

S

Snelly

@Snelly What were the specs of the Rapture you broke? Good points/bad points about the flight/forgiveness/length?

It was an Aldila VS Proto 70 stiff shaft in standard length and the driver was an original Rapture with 9 degrees of loft. It had a medium trajectory I would say, was very easy to hit and easily as long as the latest modern drivers that I have tried. Hit over 280-300 yards with consistent regularity.

I am convinced that driver technology has not changed that much in the 11 years I have had this club in terms of actual length - the advances have been relative to ease of use. Much easier to use a modern club that something from ten years ago.

S

Snelly

I have a TM R11s TP with Blur Blue 005 shaft in Reg
A Callway BB 460 in reg
And a Wilson Blue ridge 1 wood with a steel shaft ( the wood is wooden..)

Thanks very much but these are all totally unsuitable.

S

Snelly

I have a Titleist 909 D2 with a Graphite Design Tour AD stiff shaft - Yours for £30 + P&P

A great offer but for some reason Titleist drivers and I have never got on all that well. Many thanks for the offer though.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It was an Aldila VS Proto 70 stiff shaft in standard length and the driver was an original Rapture with 9 degrees of loft. It had a medium trajectory I would say, was very easy to hit and easily as long as the latest modern drivers that I have tried. Hit over 280-300 yards with consistent regularity.

I am convinced that driver technology has not changed that much in the 11 years I have had this club in terms of actual length - the advances have been relative to ease of use. Much easier to use a modern club that something from ten years ago.

That Ebay one I pointed out could be well suited to you then! Shaft slightly lighter (can be changed with lead tape), but flight and loft similar. Negotiate a better shipper? Even if the shaft doesn't suit, you at least have the head - though you already have one of those! :rolleyes:

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
If that's the Orange shaft, that's an incredible price - that shaft was/is the holy grail of shafts!

Na its a Tour AD YSQ... the orange one is the Tour AD DI and I think you would still pay £120 for a second hand shaft alone. A well loved shaft!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Na its a Tour AD YSQ... the orange one is the Tour AD DI and I think you would still pay £120 for a second hand shaft alone. A well loved shaft!

Doh! I forgot how many sets of description GD has for the very many shafts it produces!

Yep AD DI is the 'holy grail' one I was thinking of. YSQ is still a really good shaft - a 'works well for 95% of swings' one.

Saves any issues of 'taking advantage' of a fellow forummer too! :whistle:

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Probably the wrong flex but I have a Cleveland 588 driver 9 degrees on ebay right now, it's got a black tie in reg flex. My guessing is it will go for around 85ish