Who putts first ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Faxon gave rory a tip to watch his PP putt and try to guess early on if the putt is going to be short, good or long.

It's to try and see if your brain is in-tune with the green speeds.

I think it's a good tip tbf.
I do that when watching on the tele when you can see the hole and the ball’s start position. I get more correct than I get wrong.

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
I gave a like because you just have to be taking the Michael.

I wasn’t actually 😂 , but on re-reading my own post I realise it sounded a bit sarcastic.
It is 2019 rules, and I hadn’t realised the rules had changed again since. It’s arriving tomorrow, so it’ll do for the poor golf I play with mates.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Faxon gave rory a tip to watch his PP putt and try to guess early on if the putt is going to be short, good or long.

It's to try and see if your brain is in-tune with the green speeds.

I think it's a good tip tbf.
It would be rude not to try it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ready golf has made this largely irrelevant hasn't it? If you are ready, putt. Simple.

Old school, I was told those off the green go first, then it's furthest away next. As I never play matchplay, none of this is relevant any more to me. Just get on with it.

As to gauging the pace of the green, how does anyone else know how hard someone else has hit it? If me, I could have hit it too hard, too softly 🤷🏻‍♂️. Play your own game, don't over think what anyone else is doing.
Those off the green usually went first because you could not putt with the flag in then.
So the flag was attended or removed once everyone was on the green.

I have seen people want to wait but agree can’t see what they learn.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Traditionally it's whoever is furthest away plays first, even if that person is on the green and the other one isn't. However, I think it was because of the old days where you had to take the flag out, that they would let those off the green play first. i.e. let them get their ball onto the green and then take the flag out for everyone rather than hokey-cokey with it.

Obviously now you have ready golf and the flag being left in so none of it matters anymore.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Obviously now you have ready golf and the flag being left in so none of it matters anymore.

I think this has now changed what used to be the norm. I have played with players who like the flag out as soon as possible, and others that don’t. In that case - unless it’s impractical - it makes sense for those that want the flag in to putt first to avoid out-in-out.