who puts the ball back?

Kennysarmy

Visit site
If I chip on to the green and a playing partner marks my ball as it's in the way of someone else playing (to speed up the game) does he then have to put it back or can I replace the ball?

Second question, if you go in a bunker and there is a local rule which allows you to move it 6 inches but nearer the hole (due to no rakes) - are you only able to do this once - as in if you fail to get out of the bunker do you then have to play it as it lies even if it's now in another part of the bunker which has not been raked?

Cheers

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Second question, if you go in a bunker and there is a local rule which allows you to move it 6 inches but nearer the hole (due to no rakes) - are you only able to do this once - as in if you fail to get out of the bunker do you then have to play it as it lies even if it's now in another part of the bunker which has not been raked?

Cheers
The local rule is the Preferred Lies rule and applies whenever or wherever 'Preferred Lies' are in force. As you have made a stroke you now have a new situation. You may now "prefer your lie" for the ball's new position.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was always told the person who marked it had to replace it but I'm suspecting that is one of those old wives tales that becomes local fact after enough people repeat it (sound familiar to anyone :unsure:). I'm intrigued to hear the actual answer.
14.2b Who Must Replace Ball and How It Must Be Replaced
(1) Who May Replace Ball. The player’s ball must be replaced under the Rules only by:
  • The player, or
  • Any person who lifted the ball or caused it to move (even if that person was not allowed to do so under the Rules).
If the player plays a ball that was replaced by someone not allowed to do so, the player gets one penalty stroke.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site

Cheers

Does the rule not state you can lift and replace within 6 inches but not nearer the hole?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
(1) Who May Replace Ball. The player’s ball must be replaced under the Rules only by:
  • The player, or
  • Any person who lifted the ball or caused it to move (even if that person was not allowed to do so under the Rules).
If the player plays a ball that was replaced by someone not allowed to do so, the player gets one penalty stroke.
That would be a third person though? My reading of that is that the ball can be replaced either by the player themselves or the person who marked it on their behalf. Correct?

Sorry to ask again. It looks obvious but golf rules can be obtuse and I want to clarify, particularly as it is urban myth territory

Kennysarmy

Visit site
  • The player, or

If someone's ball is on the line of another putt and they are asked to move it but instead of marking it and then moving the marker they place their putter beside the ball and then place the marker at the other end of the putter and pick the ball up - is that allowed?

ForeRight

Visit site
If someone's ball is on the line of another putt and they are asked to move it but instead of marking it and then moving the marker they place their putter beside the ball and then place the marker at the other end of the putter and pick the ball up - is that allowed?

Yes, but they should take care to follow the same procedure in reverse when moving the ball back to its original position. In your example, putter next to marker, then ball down at end of putter.

NOT, putter next to marker, marker down then replace ball as the ball would not be on its original spot.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As a slight twist I think that if a ball is on the green and in the way of someone's putt you have to ask permission of the player before touching it. I guess if you are in a team format that is not necessary as would it not be necessary for your caddy to mark it.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As a slight twist I think that if a ball is on the green and in the way of someone's putt you have to ask permission of the player before touching it. I guess if you are in a team format that is not necessary as would it not be necessary for your caddy to mark it.
14.b Who May Lift Ball
The player’s ball may be lifted under the Rules only by:
  • The player, or
  • Anyone the player authorizes, but such authorization must be given each time before the ball is lifted rather than given generally for the round.
Exception – Caddie May Lift Player’s Ball on Putting Green Without Authorization: When the player’s ball is on the putting green, his or her caddie may lift the ball without the player’s authorization.
If the caddie lifts the ball without authorization when it is anywhere except on the putting green, the player gets one penalty stroke (see Rule 9.4).

23.5a Player Allowed to Take Any Actions Concerning Partner’s Ball That Partner May Take
Although each player on a side must play his or her own ball:
  • A player may take any action concerning the partner's ball that the partner is allowed to take before making a stroke, such as to mark the spot of the ball and lift, replace, drop and place the ball.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Is the question just coincidental?

Because last night the player (Wagner I think) did exactly this with Perez's ball that was lying on the green while Wagner wanted to chip his on but Perez was still some distance back down the fairway (presumably he had Perez's consent to mark)
Perez replaced the ball to putt and tossed the marker back to Wagner

Kennysarmy

Visit site

Because last night the player (Wagner I think) did exactly this with Perez's ball that was lying on the green while Wagner wanted to chip his on but Perez was still some distance back down the fairway (presumably he had Perez's consent to mark)

Pure coincidence.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site

In stroke play, because the players are outside influences wrt each other, Rule 9.6 applies and Wagner does not need Perez's permission to mark and lift the ball.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As I am a bear of simple thinks (and I have got confused by who is doing what and when)...I mark and lift another player’s ball and I then pass the ball to the player, he then replaces it. That OK?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just double checking the following is correct (esp in relation to player A's partner)?

Player A's ball has been lifted.

Player A is always entitled to replace his ball regardless of who lifted it. (Rule 14.2b (1) )
Player A's partner (as defined, ie not an "FC") is also always entitled to replace the ball regardless of who lifted it? (because of Rule 23.5a)
Anyone else (including Player A's caddie) can only replace the ball if they were the person who lifted it?

Last edited: