Who buys the drinks after a competition round?

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Only recently starting playing comps at my local club and have played 2 so far.
Is there are etiquette as to who buys the drinks after the round?

After both comps, my playing partners absolutely insisted on buying me a drink despite me making the offer first.
Could it be that they see me as new comp player? Is it that they beat me?
Or maybe they looked at my non-designer golf outfit and assumed that I am very poor :D

On both occasions, my PP's said that they couldn't hang around for long, so I didn't have the opportunity to return the favour.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Depends. I have no qualms buying a round even if I know the PP's are going after that one. Normally we play in 3's in comps and we tend to all buy a drink each. In club matches our club etiquette is to ensure the visitors don't buy a drink. Often they will insist but as hosts we try and ensure they are looked after

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Depends. I have no qualms buying a round even if I know the PP's are going after that one. Normally we play in 3's in comps and we tend to all buy a drink each. In club matches our club etiquette is to ensure the visitors don't buy a drink. Often they will insist but as hosts we try and ensure they are looked after

Good man 🍻👍

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
You, you should buy your own drinks.

Don't let anyone pressure you into doing something you are uncomfortable with.

I strongly dislike not paying people back. Much easier to just get your own drinks.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Get to the bar first and order your own drink. Then, as your fellow competitors arrive, ask them what they want. When one of them says "no I'll get them," your response is you're already ordering.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We generally agree on the first tee if we are playing for a drink. If not it's buy your own unless some one is feeling generous.

However given the fact that most of us just drink tea or coffee then it's not a problem.

With our bigger kitties we play losers put the money in winners buy the drinks.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i played a medal a couple of years ago with two relatively new members. after the round we headed in for a drink and i got the first round in. after a while they both got up (separate) and brought another, just for them selves without a word. I then got up and said either of you like another??? both said yes please i'll have "X" i didn't go to the bar, i just buggered off.... tight-fisted buggers.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
At our club it is common that everyone buys a round for the players of his fourball or threeball, so you normally end up with having three or four drinks after a round together (mostly non-alcoholic, since everyone still has to drive). Players who played a lady normally buy first, then (at least among us hackers) whoever played a birdie (with the better players it tends to be for eagles) and then whoever hasn't paid for a round yet. If there is dinner or a reception afterwards, it might continue and everyone buys a second and/or third round. But it is common practice that you buy rounds for either your group or whoever you are sharing a table with and not just buy a drink for yourself. That is considered quite rude at our place (especially if you accepted a round from someone else before).

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You, you should buy your own drinks.

Don't let anyone pressure you into doing something you are uncomfortable with.

I strongly dislike not paying people back. Much easier to just get your own drinks.

Sorry but disagree. I will always buy without the need for others to reciprocate. If they want to leave after I've bought a round (or vice versa) then that's fine. I don't keep a count and buy to be sociable and because that was the etiquette I was installed with as a junior golfer