Which Wedges fill the gap?

HarryMonk

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm at a lose with wedges I know a gap needs filling between PW and SW but I'm not sure which degrees are required or even what degree a good sand should be?

Also what in all of your considered opinions are the Wedges to go for?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The best thing to do is to get your new wedge lofts checked. See your local pro.
You'll probably find the wedge is around 46 deg and SW is 54-56 deg. So your gap wedge will be around 50 deg.
I would suggest waiting until you have got your new set of irons and get the gap wedge to match the set.
But I have 2 questions.
1 What club are you going to lose out of your set? and
2 Why do you feel you need a gap wedge?
I've been playing for 40 years and never found the need for one.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
The gap between PW - SW can be overcome by choking down on you PW and giving it a 1/2 - 3/4 swing.

Have you spent time playing around trying different length swings etc, Don't know why im giving advice on this as the short game is my worst game.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The Gap Wedge helps out so that people don't have to play 1/2 and 3/4 shots. Some can do it but to some its so tricky to judge distance. Why have to judge it if you can have a club that, when hit with your normal swing, goes the required distance?

I've got 4 wedges. 46, 50, 54, and 58. I lose the 3 iron completely and replace the 4 with a hybrid. If you play the majority of your shots from 120 yards in, it makes sense to have more clubs at that end of the bag rather than load up with long clubs. Chances are you're going to miss the green from 200 yards out, but putting a normal swing on a gap wedge from, say, 100 gives a decent chance of hitting the green.

Mawgan

Club Champion
Visit site
I can see the arguments for both sides of this particular fence, but the choked-down half shot calls for precision feel, and it seems to me the multiple wedges option calls for a pretty good judgement of distance, certainly to within the likely gap.

Stating the bl***ing obvious, I suppose, but I think I would rather try to feel the range than choose a club to hit a, say, 5 - 7 yard bracket.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I understand fully the reason behind having a gap wedge.
What I dont understand is those who can't hit 1/2 shots and 3/4 shots, what do they do when they are 30-70 yards out from the green?.
Surely they then have to play the 1/2 and 3/4 shot.
I guess I'm old fashioned as I learned my golf with only a half set and had to learn the creative shots
Progress :(

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
I won't get into whether you should have a gap wedge or not. But seeing as you're also asking about what wedge....

I've got a couple of Mizuno (no surprises there!) MPRs, and I really like them. But what has surprised me is how good the MD Superstrong players wedge is, and it's £30 cheaper. I've been sent one by GM to test and although I've been using it for shots I wouldn't normally try with a 56, it's been a great club. I might of lost my club snobbery at last!!

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
www.soulfulphotograpy.co.uk
Not having a gap wedge is a bit silly really. When you bear in mind the 10* or so gap between today's PW and SW. Basically a gap wedge is going to be about the same loft as the old pitching wedge used to be. Can you imagine anyone leaving one of them out of a set and going from 9 iron to SW?

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Gap Wedge helps out so that people don't have to play 1/2 and 3/4 shots. Some can do it but to some its so tricky to judge distance. Why have to judge it if you can have a club that, when hit with your normal swing, goes the required distance?

f.w.i.w. I'm going to go with this answer myself.

I have a PW that on a full swing goes 115 yards. Because it's fairly low loft (like my old 9 iron :D) I don't use it for 3/4 shots. I tried one the other day, was not confident at all and chunked it (fat) 70 foot. GRIM.
My SW, which I rarely use for full shots tops out at about 85 yards. Me, being me, I went on the search for a 100 yard wedge. I ended up with a 52 degree TM satin. I've never hit this over 100 yards, and, on a full one with proper hit, never under 90. It averages out at 95-97.

This is the wedge I use for 60, 70, 80 or 95 yards. My sand wedge is not good off tight lies, and although I developed a whole range of shots with my old set PW, the new one is not nearly as confidence inspiring. As soon as I choke down and/or put the ball back in my stance it looks like an 8 iron to me!!!

Although I agree with bobmac about "learning" to hit various distances, I have to say that FOR ME, I much prefer to do this with a GW....

As for the old question of hitting 30-50 yards, these distances FOR ME, are not the same swing at all as a 3/4 pitch. On a 3/4 pitch, I make a short full swing. On a 30-50 yarder, I don't even cock my wrists.....I just play a big "chip/pitch" shot.....

Everyone is different. If you have a big gap, you have two choices. 1) to learn a selection of PW shots or 2) stick in a wedge that you hit full and is reliable for a set distance.

I know PLENTY of players that carry 3 wedges and consistently hit 3 distances. I also know lots that can hit their chosen wedge 5 different distances, and rely on inspiration and touch. Neither is wrong or right i.m.o.

I wouldn't be without my GW, whereas before I bought my current set I would doggedly use only the PW. There is nothing better for me than standing next to the 100 yard disk and flushing a full GW. The minute I try to take 15 yards off my PW, I get messed up in my head, should I choke down?, stand more narrow?, open the face?, close the face?, just swing enough to get the club pointing at the sky?.....as you can see, for an everyday player, it might not be worth the aggravation.

That's my opinion. I'm not an expert, but as a life-long struggler with 1/2 and 3/4 shots, I'd say carry a GW and loose a club somewhere else.

borntorunsean

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i have a 52 degree vokey which i use for all 'artistic' shots round the green. my sand wedge 56 degree is too lofted in my opinion for this.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
[quote
As soon as I choke down and/or put the ball back in my stance it looks like an 8 iron to me!!!

[/QUOTE]
If you have to play a 1/4 or 1/2 swing, try the following.
Narrow stance (2-3 in)
weight 70-30 on your left side (for right handers). Sorry Leftie.
ball in the CENTRE of the stance.
Hands slightly in front of the ball
Try and make the backswing the same length as the through swing.
hold the grip right at the bottom
TAKE A SMALL DIVOT
Experiment and have fun :)

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have had a few pitching lessons....despite some knowledge of the technique, it still scares the hell out of me!

Should I try again with my PW or stick with the 52*?

I had a go today with the 52, it's more comfy than the PW, roll on the nice weather and I'll be on the practice ground again.

I wish more clubs had pitching areas, ours is OK, but not as fancy as one of my old clubs, where we had a proper green....

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
why stop at the 52 or wedge? keep going. 9, 8, 7 .... :eek:
The 7 and 8 are great for low bump and runs from 30-50 yards out on hard fairways against the wind.
Hard dusty fairways mmmmmmm I remember those.
ONLY PLAY THE SHOT YOU KNOW YOU CAN PLAY
DONT TRY AND PLAY THE SHOT YOU THINK YOU CAN PLAY
Just go with the shot you know

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
ONLY PLAY THE SHOT YOU KNOW YOU CAN PLAY
DONT TRY AND PLAY THE SHOT YOU THINK YOU CAN PLAY
Just go with the shot you know

QED, I'd say. If a player feels confident with using set wedges to avoid "in-betweeners" that's OK.

I do in fact use all my short irons for short distances.

i.i.r.c. I used a 3 x 9i's, 2 x 7i's and even a 6i from 30-50 yards the other day.....oh, and I made 6 pars with 6 x 1 putts.....this from someone who can't putt!!! (they must have been close!!)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have a number of wedges so that I can have as many options as possible.

My preferred choice at the moment is
D. 3W, 5W 3 hybrid, putter, 4-PW (7 clubs) 52 and 58
My PW is 46 and so the 52 and 58 give me an even split

However I sometimes drop the hyrid and the 58 and go with a 56 and 60 especially if I'm playing a course with lots of patchy rough and I can negotitate the par 3's with either an iron or the 5 wood.

I am learning the art of pitching again and utilising the old three swings per club routine, hip high, waist high and shoulder high which when you split between the PW 52 and 58 give me 9 known distances which should cover most shots from <100

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I am learning the art of pitching again and utilising the old three swings per club routine, hip high, waist high and shoulder high which when you split between the PW, 52 and 58 give me 9 known distances which should cover most shots from <100
You can always change your hand position from the middle of the grip to the bottom of the grip.
Hey presto............18 different yardages :)