Which phone for golf apps?

griffgolf

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

I am looking to get a new phone but preferrably one which will download golf distances apps.

I know of iphone4 but not sure of any others which will do the job.

Does anyone know which phones to get and which apps are available?

Cheers

griffgolf

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
From what I have seen most other smart phone use android operating software. I've got the iPhone 4 and use my caddie pro, it's free and gas score card facility as well as stat manager and report facility, think it stores 700 rounds. Offers more than a sky caddie for free, bit not allowed in comp use due to the compass software on the phone. I'm sure r and a don't allow any phone gps in comps although it's being looked at ;)

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
If it still has a compass built into it, it's irrelevant whether it has GPS or not. The thing is still illegal for comp use.

I was using my iPhone 3GS last night with mycaddiepro app. My mate was using his Skycaddie SGX which he's just bought. Let's put it this way, he wasn't at all pleased that mine was no less accurate than his SGX, and I had a pic of the hole as well as a moving target line for distances to various hazards, and for lay up distances. Okay, the aerial shot was a little out of date, (there were one or two bunkers missing, but I knew were there anyway!).

He's wondering why he spent £100's on this thing. I did explain that under current rules, I can't use my phone in a comp.

griffgolf

Head Pro
Visit site
If the compass is the only thing that makes it illegal does anyone know which phone can have the compass taken out to enable it to be used legally in a comp?

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
IMHO of course. I would like to think that The R&A will be reviewing the rule so that golf specific apps can be used in the near future. But I suspect that some lobbyists at Skycaddie could well be working towards that not happening!

Sorry, I can't answer your question. I only have an iPhone.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If the compass is the only thing that makes it illegal does anyone know which phone can have the compass taken out to enable it to be used legally in a comp?

If I remember right because the smart phones have the ability to have the compass app added whether it be android or iPhone, I'm sure all phones are not allowed, try search on the randa.org website or email them. They normally answer with 2 working days

griffgolf

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys for your info so far :)

If anyone can shed any more light on this I would appreciate it.

I will fire off an email to the R&A and see what their response is and report back on here.

Cheers

griffgolf

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
From my understanding, having been in contact with R&A, is that having a phone that is capable of downloading apps that could break the rules does not make the device illegal.
It's actually having the apps already on the phone that matters.
So an iPhone, with compass, is illegal. The HTC Desire, that doesn't, seems to be legal although a compass could easily be aquired.
Confused?

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The EGU say this in their Championship Rules:

DISTANCE MEASURING DEVICES
a) DMDs are allowed: see the EGU’s Hard Card for Local Rule 10.4
b) Mobile Phones used as a Distance-Measuring Device (DMD): If you use a mobile phone as a DMD, the phone must not have any other feature or downloaded application which can gauge or measure other conditions that might affect your play,
for example gradient (e.g. a spirit level function), windspeed or temperature. If the phone has any such non-conforming feature or downloaded application, regardless of
whether it is used and regardless of whether it is in some way “switched off”, you will be disqualified. If in doubt, don’t use the phone as a DMD.

griffgolf

Head Pro
Visit site
The EGU say this in their Championship Rules:

DISTANCE MEASURING DEVICES
a) DMDs are allowed: see the EGU’s Hard Card for Local Rule 10.4
b) Mobile Phones used as a Distance-Measuring Device (DMD): If you use a mobile phone as a DMD, the phone must not have any other feature or downloaded application which can gauge or measure other conditions that might affect your play,
for example gradient (e.g. a spirit level function), windspeed or temperature. If the phone has any such non-conforming feature or downloaded application, regardless of
whether it is used and regardless of whether it is in some way “switched off”, you will be disqualified. If in doubt, don’t use the phone as a DMD.

So after reading that I would say that the HTC Desire is legal :)