Parking Apps

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting chat on Jeremy Vine, R2 just now. Parking with coins is disappearing as firms lose money through theft, vandalism / theft and the cost of collecting, repairing etc. Contactless has appeared, works well but apparently those machines are powered via the 3G network and as that gets switched off the cost of upgrading is prohibitive. They are unlikely to be replaced.

The future then is via apps. I am quite recent to parking apps but having used them I am a big fan. The biggest win for me is the ability to add to add time on if you will not be returning to your car within the slot paid for. The downside, lots of different apps required.

Whilst I am okay, how do people without phones cope? You don't have to have a smart phone, there are numbers to ring at each location that allow you to pay that way, but that means you still need a phone of some sort to pay to park, along with a credit or debit card.

Is anyone in an area of app parking only? Is there an alternative option for those not savvy with a phone?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think app parking is great, means you can easily extend the parking if you need to. Agree with the amount needed though, I currently have 5 different ones on my phone!

One thing to bear in mind is when you find you need a different app, don't just scan the QR code that is on the machine, search for the app via the app store. I saw an article on Watchdog which showed criminals are sticking fake codes on the machines and then they have access to your banking details when you set up payment to what you think is the car park.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Parked in an NCP in London yesterday.

Had the options to prebook parking, to use their app when there, to use the kiosk when there or best of all to drive in, park, drive out later then pay what you owed when you got home that evening

Daylight robbery the rate mind

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Fairly recently parked up and went to pay. The machine did not accept coins and card payments were bust. I did not have the appropriate app on my phone and for whatever reason I could not download it. Also I could not see any telephone number to call - if it was there I did not see it else I would have used it. What did I do? All I could do was go back to my car and drive to another car park.

As it happens now have RingGo on my phone and find it very handy for identifying the car park I am in and making payment easy.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The only annoying thing about them is that there's so many different parking apps - just when you think you have all of them, you go into another car park and there's a different one!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use the PayByPhone app at the train station car park each day at the moment, it was also the same app when I was going to Watford General Hospital when my wife was in with our new baby. As mentioned in the OP, it's handy when you're longer than expected and you can just open it up and add an extra hour to it. I've also made a couple of mistakes on it (checked in wrong car for example) but just emailed them and they refunded me quite quickly and easily.

D-S

Visit site
If I could invent an App that automatically downloaded the APP at the car park you were in and automatically loaded your details into it, so you just had to visit DS Universal Parking at any car park, I reckon I'd make a fortune - sadly I have no idea about App creation.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
PayByPhone, RinGo and MiPermit are the three that do it best.

Some are absolutely atrocious in their execution (PhoneAndPay being the absolute worst).

I love them as I never carry cash.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Once away on holiday in Cornwall a couple of summers ago, out and about, visiting villages along the coast, parked up and paid via the app which was the only option and allowed plenty of time, moved onto the next village and parked up but was unable to pay via the app as it said I was still parked in the previous car park, fortunately was able to pay cash in this one.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If I could invent an App that automatically downloaded the APP at the car park you were in and automatically loaded your details into it, so you just had to visit DS Universal Parking at any car park, I reckon I'd make a fortune - sadly I have no idea about App creation.
Take it to Dragons Den but I'm Out.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use the parking apps every day in Town, as that is all there is. It is miles better than finding a parking machine has been wrecked by the gangs for the coins.
You have to be very careful with the times you say you want, as many councils will not let you extend the time beyond the maximum, or "meter feeding" as they used to call it.
There are ways around that, and if you ask I will tell you.
Whilst I agreed with your points originally, ohone use and dependance has grown beyond any point of return so it is the way it's going to be.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's the same as the complaints about the charging networks they need an one app system

By all means different companies and such but just use one central app

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I can’t remember the last time I paid to park via any means other than an app. The only places round here where you need coins are hospital car parks.

The apps are so convenient.