Which Irons?

MAS

Visit site
Hi All

I am a 59 year old returning golfer and oh how golf technology and clubs have changed in the past 10 years, my last handicap in 2009 was 12 (11.6).

My question is what is the easiest way to get an unbiased assessment on which irons best suit me without the pushing of one particular maker or another because of affiliations and the like?

Thanks in advance

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Don't know about what's accessible in the UAE but there's plenty of independent club fitters around that are unbiased. It will probably cost for the assessment but that's usually offset against the purchase price if you buy from them.

One thing to consider, before you go down that route is, if you're a returning golfer, your swing today will be different to your swing in 3 months as your golf fitness and swing speed returns. It might be worth picking up a decent second hand mid-range set then going for a fitting in a few months time.

MAS

Visit site
Don't know about what's accessible in the UAE but there's plenty of independent club fitters around that are unbiased. It will probably cost for the assessment but that's usually offset against the purchase price if you buy from them.

One thing to consider, before you go down that route is, if you're a returning golfer, your swing today will be different to your swing in 3 months as your golf fitness and swing speed returns. It might be worth picking up a decent second hand mid-range set then going for a fitting in a few months time.
That makes perfect sense

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would say a standard loft and lie set of irons wouldn't be far off ideal for you.
As Hobbit suggested maybe look at a second hand mid-range set like the Ping i 20s.
You might want to try out a few hybrids too