• None

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Quite correct

Garmin from tesco 80 quid 30k courses.

Not interested in sky caddie due to yearly fees, but for 80 quid as an addition to laser felt it was worth it.

Hope my original post didn't come across as a "Billy Big Baws" post all I was referring to was the accuracy of Skycaddie.

I feel that the yearly subscription of £30 (if it even was that) is more than worth it. Their accuracy is spot on. A hole on my course changed a good few years ago now and some manufacturers haven't even changed the yardage or green position.

I used to use both but my laser died!

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Laser. Great for zapping flags, hazards, trees to carry etc. etc. Pointless in fog I found out but that’s nature telling me to go in...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I use both a GPS Device (Garmin) and a laser. I use the GPS for measuring when I'm a long way out of need to be sure of a carry or where hazards are on a new course and the laser from 100 yards and in as that's the one area I've really focused on in practice

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hope my original post didn't come across as a "Billy Big Baws" post all I was referring to was the accuracy of Skycaddie.

I feel that the yearly subscription of £30 (if it even was that) is more than worth it. Their accuracy is spot on. A hole on my course changed a good few years ago now and some manufacturers haven't even changed the yardage or green position.

I used to use both but my laser died!

No not offended, sorry if it seemed that way. Actually impressed by the inferation, but i wasnt in favour of been at the mercy of yearly costs and your post reminded me that i did see that as a disadvantage at the time.

I'm not sure how they differ as my old course got measured by a guy who came with a satellite back pack and all devices had it after, so unsure why they'd differ and if is it an updation difference or if they have seperate people measuring which i dont think they do.

My regular course readings are basically within a couple of yards for garmin and skycaddie and compare well with laser (as u can laser flag from centre and 150 markers etc) and i wanted to check sat navs accuracy.

I'd be interested to know if the oakwood course at ashbury manor is correct with a sky caddie. It felt like they'd measured to some temps rather than actual greens. I guess room for confusion for a mon golfing course mapper when theres nestly 100 holes not including temps.

Merv_swerve

Challenge Tour Pro
goo.gl
GPS in general, laser when I'm close enough to merit knowing the exact yardage.
Garmin watch has served me very well last 4 odd years. I'm at a level now where laser for wedges would be beneficial. Just don't want to spend another 150 quid to get it though.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Another user of a Garmin watch

Don't know at at my ability if I would be bothered with the faffing of a laser device (garmin was a gift so not really sure I'd have bought a gps yet either but its bloomin brilliant) and since the buggy has GPS too with the flag distances i get to see the one thing the watch lacks anyway, if its that important

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ive laser and swear by it TBH. My eyesight is pretty poor and i struggle to see where the flag is most of the time. This allows me to see where it is and get an accurate distance to the flag and carry bunkers etc.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use the Hole19 app on my phone for GPS yardage, it works perfectly and saves me having to spend money on another device.

Trapdraw

Medal Winner
Visit site
I use both, range finder and a gps.
GPS if I’m playing a new course as it shows the whole hole layout, or just having a knock at my club and can’t be bothered pinging the flag. Laser for 140 yards and in when trying to score well.

JPLon

Visit site
I've just used the motocaddy app on my phone so far. Gives decent yardages, allows you to work out yardages to hazards etc and gives a good picture of the hole. Would rather use a watch for ease but haven't been able to justify the extra cost thus far. May well pick up a second hand one and give it a run out.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Garmin Approach for me. Small provides front middle and back plus hazards and has scoring capability. Yup a laser 'might' give slightly better accuracy but, in all honesty, I very much doubt that the vast majority of golfers can work to these additional accuracy.
Pretty much this for me. Use a Tom Tom GPS watch. I am sure that there are far more accurate measuring devices but I am not that accurate and so a decent, ballpark measurement is fine for my level. The watch is quick and easy so suits me fine though, like others I do forget to charge it every now and again and the battery life in my one is not the best (reckon it may just about do 36 holes on a fresh charge)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Pretty much this for me. Use a Tom Tom GPS watch. I am sure that there are far more accurate measuring devices but I am not that accurate and so a decent, ballpark measurement is fine for my level. The watch is quick and easy so suits me fine though, like others I do forget to charge it every now and again and the battery life in my one is not the best (reckon it may just about do 36 holes on a fresh charge)

Maybe not too bad. I think mines pretty good & it drops about 7-8% per day if just using it as a smartwatch and about 35% for a 4 hour round with the GPS kicked in, so not sure I could get better than 2 full rounds anyway even if I charged it on a Friday

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
My Skycaddie SGX died earlier this year, and after being messed around with the order for a new Skycaddie Touch by American golf I got a laser as a stop gap. Maybe its early onset Parkinsons but I'm not taken with it. One of the local courses has prisms set into the top of the flagsticks - brilliant. The others don't, and getting a distance is troublesome. If every course had the little prism on the flagsticks I'd vote lasers but at present I prefer the Skycaddie-type DMD's.