Which clubs should I buy?

Ironman5

Visit site
I am a beginner in golf but have achieved decent stanadards in other sports. I am hitting long and straight with my current Arnold Palmer classics but I am told I should change these to more 'modern' clubs. I am very happy, however, with the short game classic clubs but recently tried Callaway XF. Amazing clubs but not sure if these are the ones for me. I don't want to keep buying clubs as I get better. Can an expert guide me on which clubs I can buy which I will continue to need as I achieve a handicap of around 12-15 (I have not checked my handicap as yet but hit around two pars and (the rest as) seven bogies on nine holes. Appreciate advice.
Also need advice on a putter and a driver please. I am using RazrX extreme driver, but my putter is in a state of decay and needs urgent replacement.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!

There are SO many good sets of clubs out there (both new and 2nd hand) that it's really impossible to tell which ones YOU should use from that sort of post!

If you are looking at new ones, then a proper fitter - not the American Golf sort - might well be your best option. An alternative might be the pro at the course/club where you play most of your golf.

If you are not overly tall/short, then it's highly likely that 'standard' length clubs will actually suit, so that opens up plenty of options - again, either off the shelf or 2nd hand!

As for putters..this is really extremely personal! I've bought, used and sold loads - upwards of 50+ - and have worked out what suits my particular style! But everyone is different! So find your nearest American Golf and try as many of them as you can! Several might feel rather good, and it's likely that they'll all have similar attributes - length, style of head, weight etc. That's almost certainly the style that will suit you best. And when you 'audition' them, be sure to also try them with your hands down the grip - as standard 35" is very often too long for most golfers!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am a beginner in golf but have achieved decent stanadards in other sports. I am hitting long and straight with my current Arnold Palmer classics but I am told I should change these to more 'modern' clubs. I am very happy, however, with the short game classic clubs but recently tried Callaway XF. Amazing clubs but not sure if these are the ones for me. I don't want to keep buying clubs as I get better. Can an expert guide me on which clubs I can buy which I will continue to need as I achieve a handicap of around 12-15 (I have not checked my handicap as yet but hit around two pars and (the rest as) seven bogies on nine holes. Appreciate advice.
Also need advice on a putter and a driver please. I am using RazrX extreme driver, but my putter is in a state of decay and needs urgent replacement.

Welcome along. I would get some professional advice but be wary of the high street hard sell from some of them. Plenty of good stuff new and second hand and so a pro advising what type of club/shaft would be a solid starting point and then it's about taking the plunge. If you can, try before you buy

Putters are very personal and so you really need to try different makes and models for yourself ideally on grass if you can. Try different types and lengths and see what feels best for your stroke and eye

Fish

Banned
Visit site

Welcome.

Not sure where your based but I was at Ping today in Lincolnshire and their fitting centre is amazing and they would find and match what you need so your only spending once for many years to come.

I hit the G400 7 iron when I was warming up and it was great, in fact if I hadn't just been fitted and received my new AP2's I'd be in for them immediately 🏌️

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome.

Not sure where your based but I was at Ping today in Lincolnshire and their fitting centre is amazing and they would find and match what you need so your only spending once for many years to come.

I hit the G400 7 iron when I was warming up and it was great, in fact if I hadn't just been fitted and received my new AP2's I'd be in for them immediately ️

Liking the whole G400 range, need to resist hitting the driver or I'll only want one...