Where to try/buy clubs? Brand new to golf! :)

Leheath

Visit site
Hi! I've been starting to play with a friend of mine who has lent me one of their clubs for now. Started with his and a few others guidance to get me off on the right foot then they let me have a bit of a play around with some of their gear and I loved it!

He doesn't play particularly often and I have a good chunk more free time than him, so I'm looking to start buying my own gear - any recommendations on places to buy, good starter gear, etc? I've had a look around my local area but haven't found much in the way of golfing shops near me... What are your ideas?

Many thanks!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Try a driving range with a shop attached. They will likely have a selection of 2nd hand gear and shouldn’t have a problem with you demoing before you buy.

If you are completely new to the game then don’t worry too much about equimpent or spending too much. Any cavity backed irons will get you going (I.e. ones with a chunky club head rather than thin blades), with a couple of woods and a putter.

You will make much more progress by spending on lessons rather than equipment.

Nickrat

Club Champion
Visit site
Ping g20 are good clubs that you could get for around 100, these clubs hold there value well so you will be able to sell them on if you outgrow them or stop playing.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unless you live in the more remote regions of Scotland or Wales, there will be an American Golf shop somewhere not too far from you. You can find where by looking on line. They do a decent range of clubs, and usually have a reasonable selection of second hand stuff.
Go there for a look around, and you should also be able to try some out. But - dont be afraid of not buying (that is, try them out but don't feel compelled to buy).

And dont spend a lot. If you get hooked on golf, there will be plenty of opporutinty to part with wads of cash later ..

Fabia999

Visit site
The pro I take lessons with recommend somebody who was great for me. People seem to love or hate golf lessons. I definitely recommend you try one and see. Personally, I've found it very useful. I'm glad as I picked up bad habits from people who I played with when I first started. Sometimes they might not be giving you the best advice. I created a thread when i first started at the end of last year. Hopefully you find some of that useful.

However, driving range with shops attached are great for the second hand stuff and like said before, are usually okay with your trying before you buy - which i definitely recommend!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It depends where you live but most areas will have a range nearby, and plenty of golf clubs in the area. A lot of time you don't need to be a member of a club to have lessons there so ask around anyone you know who plays about who is a good teacher but I recommend a series of lessons to get the basics drilled in before you ingrain too many faults. As regards equipment, most places will only stock the latest gear although American Golf did a big 2nd hand trade in last year so your local store(s) may still have second hand clubs you can look at and try. Putters in particular are very personal and so you'll need to find a style and make that suits you. If you go down the second hand route places like Golfbidder has a massive range and I believe still offers a small returns window so you can try them and send them back if they don't suit. Look at cavity back clubs for maximum forgiveness. The Golfbidder descriptions give a rough handicap guide for suitability which may help