Where to join?

Newtonuti

Visit site
Bit of background on myself first: I've been playing round about 18 months, and I'm down to a 25 handicap. Yardages are about average (250 yards with driver, 150 yards with 7i).

I'm looking at joining a club in the northern Birmingham/Warwickshire area as I live in Castle Bromwich. I was thinking Forest of Arden, 5 days Arden 7 days Aylesford. Then Stonebridge is cheaper but hearing the course can be in horrific nick in winter! Does anyone else have any suggestions please folks?

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sutton Coldfield. My mate’s a member there, year round golf, superb greens, nice clubhouse and membership. Few ex-footballers in the comps if that’s your thing. I’d join tomorrow if I lived a bit closer.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Mans got some serious kit in the last 18 months!

Forest or Arden is stunning, wouldn't look much further myself :ROFLMAO: Would be a rare occasion that the courses aren't in good nick there!

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
Again not sure about the Forest of Arden - It's really set up for corporate, societies and hotel guests which may impact on your tee times. You certainly won't get the feel of a 'real' golf club. I'd suggest the likes of Fulford Heath, Shirley, Hollywood, Moseley and Ladbrook - all fairly close to you though soem may have joining fees now also

D

Deleted member 31582

Sutton Coldfield, Erdington, Olton is a nice course and friendly membership, you’re spoilt for choice all around you, there’s loads, but not quite sure on your thinking to join the FOA, but I suppose it depends what you’re looking for, and how much you want to pay for membership ?

sunshine

Visit site
I'm a beginner too, only been playing since lockdown. I'm playing a SIM2 Max as well, but with a Fujikura Ventus Black 6X shaft. Here's my trackman data from my winter training camp in Andalucia:

D8whTvNXYAUiwdh.jpg

Sand Trapped

Visit site
There are some serious waiting lists around the UK - would be my first question to the club before going any further. Can be beyond a year in places.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Forest of Arden is a lovely course, but is it a great club? I've never been a member at a resort course but I know plenty that have (not at FoA though), and heard their complaints about the lack of a feeling of membership and the priority being given to societies and visitors, especially at the weeked. It depends what you want from your membership but I'd certainly try to talk to some of the members before signing the cheque.

[Edit. Just realised this thread is a year and half old. Oops.]

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Forest of Arden is a lovely course, but is it a great club? I've never been a member at a resort course but I know plenty that have (not at FoA though), and heard their complaints about the lack of a feeling of membership and the priority being given to societies and visitors, especially at the weeked. It depends what you want from your membership but I'd certainly try to talk to some of the members before signing the cheque.

[Edit. Just realised this thread is a year and half old. Oops.]

I did make exactly the same point on the other thread which prompted this one being bumped up the boards.

A mate of mine in a member at the FOA and the reality is the active membership is relatively small. It’s a resort, when all is said and done, and the money is made from visitors, societies, corporate events and those who use the hotel and all that comes with it.

You will never get the same feeling being a member somewhere like that that you will with a smaller private club.