Where to join?

Thread starter #1
Bit of background on myself first: I've been playing round about 18 months, and I'm down to a 25 handicap. Yardages are about average (250 yards with driver, 150 yards with 7i).

I'm looking at joining a club in the northern Birmingham/Warwickshire area as I live in Castle Bromwich. I was thinking Forest of Arden, 5 days Arden 7 days Aylesford. Then Stonebridge is cheaper but hearing the course can be in horrific nick in winter! Does anyone else have any suggestions please folks?

timd77

Assistant Pro
Sutton Coldfield. My mate’s a member there, year round golf, superb greens, nice clubhouse and membership. Few ex-footballers in the comps if that’s your thing. I’d join tomorrow if I lived a bit closer.

Banchory Buddha

And, for what it's worth, unless your nearest course is really bad, join your local club. Less traveling, a beer when you want without having to taxi, fellow local members that you might know, or will soon enough.

There has to be really strong reasons not to go local imo

Bdill93

Mans got some serious kit in the last 18 months!

Forest or Arden is stunning, wouldn't look much further myself :ROFLMAO: Would be a rare occasion that the courses aren't in good nick there!

phils226

Medal Winner
Again not sure about the Forest of Arden - It's really set up for corporate, societies and hotel guests which may impact on your tee times. You certainly won't get the feel of a 'real' golf club. I'd suggest the likes of Fulford Heath, Shirley, Hollywood, Moseley and Ladbrook - all fairly close to you though soem may have joining fees now also

D

Deleted member 31582

Sutton Coldfield, Erdington, Olton is a nice course and friendly membership, you’re spoilt for choice all around you, there’s loads, but not quite sure on your thinking to join the FOA, but I suppose it depends what you’re looking for, and how much you want to pay for membership ?

sunshine

I'm a beginner too, only been playing since lockdown. I'm playing a SIM2 Max as well, but with a Fujikura Ventus Black 6X shaft. Here's my trackman data from my winter training camp in Andalucia:

There are some serious waiting lists around the UK - would be my first question to the club before going any further. Can be beyond a year in places.