Where in spain

thomasmark71

Visit site
earlier this year we stayed in torremilinos and golfed in torrequbrada, la cala, cabopino and chapparal
enjoyed hotel on beach and going to different course each day
lads wanna do it again but different town
where would you suggest in spain
would prefer a beach hotel ( or close to beach)
and a town big enough to go out at night for food and a few beers,,,,no clubs ( too old ) …
thanks

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
We’ve just come back from Marbella. Amare hotel right on the beach, old town right around the corner. A wealth of courses to play including one right next to the airport.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
is marbella expensive compared to torremilnos?
If you are heading to the Costa Del Sol, Puerto Banus is a haven for golfers. You'll get some great rates in the Hotel PYR, which is an ideal base. Great night life, but watch your wallet with the ladies of the night.

Personally, I think Banus is a bit full on, and would look to stay in Benalmadena or Fuengirola.

Visit site
I am just back from a week in Spain. Stayed in Benalmadena...(bit like Margate down near the coast). Good for Irish bars, and I like Guinness!

We played, Parador (worn out), Marbella Resort, La Quinta, Mijas Olivos, Torrequebrada, Santana, Los Naranjos, and Guadalhorce.
My favourite would be a tie between Guadalhorce, Los Naranjos and Santana. My mates didn't rate La Quinta (too quirky), though I quite liked it.
Both Mijas courses are fairly good. We tend to miss La Cala these days, but I would be happy there. Calanova has the best club house, but it's too hilly. Cabopino was awful last time we played. Miraflores too quirky and short. There's a few more on the list, I'm sure.
We used to go every year since about 2005, but the Covid nonsense caused a temporary cessation. It was lovely to get back out there. The weather? 26 degrees every day, not bad for the third week in October!!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Forget Marbella and Puerto Banus, and head further down coast to Estepona. Proper Spanish town with great restaurants, bars etc. No rip off prices. Lots of courses within 30 minutes, including Valderama, Sotogrande, La Reserva San Roque and Finca Cortesin. Cheaper options heading back towards Marbella.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you are heading to the Costa Del Sol, Puerto Banus is a haven for golfers. You'll get some great rates in the Hotel PYR, which is an ideal base. Great night life, but watch your wallet with the ladies of the night.

Personally, I think Banus is a bit full on, and would look to stay in Benalmadena or Fuengirola.

We always used to base ourselves in PYR. Can't beat a relaxing night in Portside watching the world go by. Back there in March with a group of us for the first time in about 10 years.

thomasmark71

Visit site
seems like costa del sol is where its at
we thinking of santana , miraflores and la quinta as our three

would you say these are “good quality” courses?

sunshine

Visit site
seems like costa del sol is where its at

Not necessarily. If you are looking for somewhere that serves Guinness and a full English then you know where to go.

We've had superb golf holidays down south around Sevilla / Jerez / Cadiz, a bit further north in Murcia, up again in Valencia and all the way up to Barcelona.

Not played around Madrid, but there are some great courses in the area, and also in northern Spain around Santander and Bilbao.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Not necessarily. If you are looking for somewhere that serves Guinness and a full English then you know where to go.

We've had superb golf holidays down south around Sevilla / Jerez / Cadiz, a bit further north in Murcia, up again in Valencia and all the way up to Barcelona.

Not played around Madrid, but there are some great courses in the area, and also in northern Spain around Santander and Bilbao.

I'd agree with this, I know the Costa Del Sol is known as the Costa Del Golf, but if you base yourself between the north of Murcia Region (Los Alcazares) to somewhere South of Torrevieja, you have access to arguably a better standard of golf courses than you do on the Costa Del Sol. Plenty of flights into Alicante as well.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
is marbella expensive compared to torremilnos?
Cost about £1000 for 4 nights at said hotels and 4 rounds including la Quinta. We also had a hire car but would maybe book a bus next time so nobody has to drive. Costs of that would probably be cheaper to.

Meals seemed reasonable albeit there’s a lovely Argentinian statehouse we splashed out on. Beers were about 3€50 if I recall. I spent about £300 worth of cash for evening meals and 5 beers a night.

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
Haven’t stayed in many resorts on CDL, mainly Marbella. We stayed at Senator Hotel, which we enjoyed.
My recommendation though would be for a course, Los Naranjos. We absolutely loved it and it is really upmarket, without feeling stuffy. Can’t wait to play there again.

Bobthesock

Visit site
Guessing it's the same anywhere in Spain, but the problem with the Costa del sol is that courses that were 50-60 euros pre covid are now more like 70-100.
The above poster mentions Los naranjos, it's nice yes but would you pay 100 quid for it at home? Probably not.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Guessing it's the same anywhere in Spain, but the problem with the Costa del sol is that courses that were 50-60 euros pre covid are now more like 70-100.
The above poster mentions Los naranjos, it's nice yes but would you pay 100 quid for it at home? Probably not.

The Scandinavian money has more value than the pound, which also drives the cost of the green fees. Seemed to be a notable factor in the increasing costs when we were there.

Bobthesock

Visit site
The Scandinavian money has more value than the pound, which also drives the cost of the green fees. Seemed to be a notable factor in the increasing costs when we were there.
Los naranjos is a predominantly Scandinavian course as well. Got on there for 50 euros with a buggy a few years ago on a warm sunny day in winter. Sadly those days are gone

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site

Yep, I checked it out yesterday even though we haven’t got a trip booked atm.
115 euros a round plus 45 for a buggy (275 for 2 golfers). Can’t remember what I paid last time, but definitely less than that.

I paid full green fees in Devon and Cornwall last week, £70 each for two rounds.

Spain and Portugal are so expensive.