Where do you buy cheap golf clothing?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess it depends on your club, but who would take bookings, run comps, act as starter, take green fees, sell you Mars Bars and drinks, supply tees, balls, etc. ?
I think the answer to that depends on your club, do you have a pro, are they any good, is the shop any good? My course doesn't have one so all of the things you quote are things that are managed in another way. I should add, I envy clubs with a good pro and a good shop, they are a real asset. Average pros and shops less so, I see plenty of them at away courses. If you have a good one then I totally agree with your point about supporting them where possible.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have a great pro-shop, well stocked and great staff. As do most clubs that I know round here. Our outgoing pro, who retired last year, was a qualified referee who refereed the Robert Karlsson/Tiger Woods Ryder Cup match.

74404_548647841846950_902664615_n.jpg

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I guess it depends on your club, but who would take bookings, run comps, act as starter, take green fees, sell you Mars Bars and drinks, supply tees, balls, etc. ?
lol I think you've lost me there. Wouldn't they just stop selling the overpriced golf stuff and hire an admin person to handle bookings, drinks etc? :LOL: They're not going to cease taking green fees because nobody bought a £75 Footjoy polo.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I support my local pro. Prices are good even compared with online retailers. If you don't support them, then don't start moaning when they're gone just like high street retailers.
I do - just bought a new driver from him and will get balls there but my biggest bugbear is 95% of his stock is club branded with the club badge on. I already have enough club jumpers and shirts and so unless he's going to change policy and stock normal gear then I'm afraid I'll keep using the internet or high street

sunshine

Visit site
The words "cheap" and "golf" are often mutually exclusive. Throughout the price spectrum, everyone knows that adding the word golf justifies a chunky premium. Ecco goretex walking shoes £100, Ecco golf shoes (spikeless) £200.

If you want to get value, simply buy non-golf clothing. Easy to find windproof / waterproof training tops for other sports that will do the job at a fraction of the price.

I say this as someone with a wardrobe of over-priced golf specific gear :ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The words "cheap" and "golf" are often mutually exclusive. Throughout the price spectrum, everyone knows that adding the word golf justifies a chunky premium. Ecco goretex walking shoes £100, Ecco golf shoes (spikeless) £200.

If you want to get value, simply buy non-golf clothing. Easy to find windproof / waterproof training tops for other sports that will do the job at a fraction of the price.

I say this as someone with a wardrobe of over-priced golf specific gear :ROFLMAO:
That's true enough. I actually have three polos from Costco that are made by '32 Degrees' whoever they are. Polyester with 10% spandex, they are cool and perfect for summer golf, I'm pretty sure they cost less than £15 each. I have a pair of shorts made by them as well that I wear for golf. I think these are the polos, albeit from the US site. I also got a Fila polo from Costco that was polyester/elastane and perfect for golf actually. Costco often have a few bargains on golf-appropriate clothing if you can get to one.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do - just bought a new driver from him and will get balls there but my biggest bugbear is 95% of his stock is club branded with the club badge on. I already have enough club jumpers and shirts and so unless he's going to change policy and stock normal gear then I'm afraid I'll keep using the internet or high street

Due to popular demand, our pro is now stocking clothing with and without the club logo. Why not ask if yours will do the same?

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
lol I think you've lost me there. Wouldn't they just stop selling the overpriced golf stuff and hire an admin person to handle bookings, drinks etc? :LOL: They're not going to cease taking green fees because nobody bought a £75 Footjoy polo.

It's not overpriced though. Most stock is below RRP and compatible with on-line prices, if not cheaper. Many pros are on a retainer from their club, so it is probably cheaper for clubs to have a pro who will do all the admin side of bookings, comps etc, than pay office staff.

sunshine

Visit site
It's not overpriced though. Most stock is below RRP and compatible with on-line prices, if not cheaper. Many pros are on a retainer from their club, so it is probably cheaper for clubs to have a pro who will do all the admin side of bookings, comps etc, than pay office staff.

Stock may be the same price as American Golf (lots of pro shops do price match), but that is still over-priced!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My club doesn't really have a proper pro shop but when I've been to other clubs and looked in theirs, the golf stuff is never that competitively priced. As @sunshine says, it might be close to the likes of AG but that is certainly overpriced. I don't believe we should accept having to pay upwards of £60 for a polo shirt just because it says 'golf' on the label. Not when you can get good quality polos from somewhere like County Golf online for £15-20.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My club doesn't really have a proper pro shop but when I've been to other clubs and looked in theirs, the golf stuff is never that competitively priced. As @sunshine says, it might be close to the likes of AG but that is certainly overpriced. I don't believe we should accept having to pay upwards of £60 for a polo shirt just because it says 'golf' on the label. Not when you can get good quality polos from somewhere like County Golf online for £15-20.

I agree with that, adding 'golf' to the name of something does seem to ramp up the price. Always wondered what the big difference is between spikeless golf shoes and astroturf trainers that justifies the price difference. I used to know a few people that played in astroturf hockey boots and I think one used cricket boots.

sunshine

Visit site
I agree with that, adding 'golf' to the name of something does seem to ramp up the price. Always wondered what the big difference is between spikeless golf shoes and astroturf trainers that justifies the price difference. I used to know a few people that played in astroturf hockey boots and I think one used cricket boots.

To be fair, with shoes the difference is the waterproof lining eg goretex, which justifies a big price difference.

But for non-waterproof shoes, and other garments like polo shirts, I don't see what justifies it (other than the assumption that golfers have more disposable cash to burn).

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I've never paid upwards of £60 for a polo shirt. Bought numerous Under Armour at American Golf for £30. They have various makes Adidas, Callaway all around £30.
I've bought practically all my clothing at American Golf as they price match with ALL
online retailers.
I've also bought some Palm Grove tops from AG, one I picked up for £10

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Someone asking about Decathlon in a thread below. Never seen one of their stores before, but online they have shirts for under a tenner..... can't vouch for the quality though.

I am getting the majority of my stuff from Club Pro these days. Prices compare well and I'd rather have him there than not!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Due to popular demand, our pro is now stocking clothing with and without the club logo. Why not ask if yours will do the same?
I will be. He's still relatively new, coming in last October and so has had to deal with the course being fully/partially closed because of waterlogging and now Covid so chances are he's still on the original stock he ordered and may/may not have the resources to get more stock in. I know it is always a bone of contention in club raffles and competition prizes that everything has a club logo on

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Over the past few years I’ve bought around 25 golf polos and the most I’ve paid is £12. Mainly bought from County Golf, but also picked up a number of Ashworth items when Sports Direct had large discounts on these online a couple of years ago. I will not spend upwards of £25 on a polo and much that I would like to support them, the clothing in our pro shop is way out of my budget. I have, however, bought my latest driver and 3 wood from him.

sunshine

Visit site
I will be. He's still relatively new, coming in last October and so has had to deal with the course being fully/partially closed because of waterlogging and now Covid so chances are he's still on the original stock he ordered and may/may not have the resources to get more stock in. I know it is always a bone of contention in club raffles and competition prizes that everything has a club logo on

I suppose it depends on the club logo, some of them are hideous. I guess it doesn't have the cachet of Sunningdale, but Royal Ascot logo looks nice enough to me.