Where did we go wrong??

Daib

Visit site
Group of four booked on a Friday morning for the old course 9 at Billingbear. We are all high handicappers and ages from a young 45 to 77 years old.

We seemed to be the only fourball out on the course and following us was a three ball and then all pairs. Billingbear has a 8 minute tee slot.

By the second tee we were in a position to wait for the followers to overtake us, we waited at the tee for them to go through. By the fourth tee the next pair had caught up and we let them go ahead.

Just after this one of the course greenkeepers asked us to wait for the next couple to go through as there had been complaints of slow play. No problem we waited at the next tee for them to go through. We then were screamed at by a guy who was coming up to finish the previous hole to get going and tee off. We waited at the tee for them to go through but they left us in no doubt we should play faster and should have teed off and then waited.

At the ninth another greenkeeper informed us there had been numerous complaints about our group playing slow. We decided to give in, didn’t finish the hole and abandoned the lunch we had planned in the clubhouse.

We don’t play at weekends or public holidays as we don’t want to stop working people getting a tee time. We are more than willing to wait for groups going through. We just want to go around at our geriatric pace and enjoy the day. Do most golfers play off on less than 28 when they are learning and rapidly progress, do they all walk at a brisk pace. Or have they forgotten how they were when just starting?

So where did we go wrong, when/where should we play? The pro who gave us our initial lessons said to “get out and enjoy playing, no worries the others will understand your beginners and cut some slack.” Wow was he wrong!

The pay and play club was happy to take our money without qualification. We seemed to have upset a lot of people and our day was certainly spoiled at the ninth, maybe we should just dump our clubs in the skip and sit at home!!

Helpful suggestions welcomed!!

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
A lot of golfers and not enough tee times to realistically have a slow and steady social game.
That’s what went wrong with golf.

On top of that, I think some male golfers get beaten at home the way they rush off straight after, so probably in their best interest to be back home with pace.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
First off, sounds unpleasant don't let it put you off. From a practical point of view perhaps it would be worth splitting into 2 x 2 balls if you are playing at a very busy time? Your pace should then be the same. I know that was not what your game was about that time but practicalities.............

A 9 hole course is not ideal if it is busy and you are the slowest group out there, inevitable if you are a 4 and most others a 2. Keep to 18 hole courses may help a little.

I do think the club has to bear some burden for this. A 4 out front followed by predominantly 2 balls. It is inevitably going to be an issue.

Chin up and get out there again. Not to the same course though 😉

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hang on a mo. This forum constantly spouts slow play as the main issue killing the game. Someone then tells us a story where they are clearly playing at a snail’s pace and posts are supportive? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think there’s a difference between what constitutes slow play in beginners and what is slow play in general.

Also, most are being supportive because they were not treated well. OP said his group were trying to let others through which is trying to help not hinder.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why are the greenkeepers getting involved??

Sounds like the clubs issue, but maybe don’t play as a 4 next time. 4 ball golf is a recipe for slow play anyway.
It’s a decent social format but not really conducive to pace of play

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would avoid 9 hole courses, can be a nightmare for congestion at the best of times

Try to always be ready to play when it's your turn.

Other than that, sounds like you did the right thing as often as you realised, so have nothing to beat yourself up about.

HairyBullet

Visit site
Golf is being spoiled by people who feel they must get round in less than 3 hours,more often than not they are the guys who are henpecked and have to get home to do the hoovering and ironing so they can get a pass in the 1st place

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Golf is being spoiled by people who feel they must get round in less than 3 hours,more often than not they are the guys who are henpecked and have to get home to do the hoovering and ironing so they can get a pass in the 1st place

Absolute utter trip (in the nicest possible way) its slow play that is killing the game, its slow play that is driving people away from the game.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Hang on a mo. This forum constantly spouts slow play as the main issue killing the game. Someone then tells us a story where they are clearly playing at a snail’s pace and posts are supportive? 🤷🏻‍♂️
They're always going to be "slow" when you've got 2 and 3 balls following them.... beginners probably more so.
The club shouldn't have let them out with a bunch of 2s and 3s right behind them.
Would have made more sense for those following to join up to make 4s..
You did the right thing by letting people through.

HairyBullet

Visit site
Absolute utter trip (in the nicest possible way) its slow play that is killing the game, its slow play that is driving people away from the game.
Sorry ,I disagree,it's the nangy guys rushing round that's spoiling Golf ,fair enough on a weekend but midweek for me it's out of order pushing newcomers to Golf

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Because these guys were correctly letting people through so that’s not an issue

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Group of four booked on a Friday morning for the old course 9 at Billingbear. We are all high handicappers and ages from a young 45 to 77 years old.

We seemed to be the only fourball out on the course and following us was a three ball and then all pairs. Billingbear has a 8 minute tee slot.

By the second tee we were in a position to wait for the followers to overtake us, we waited at the tee for them to go through. By the fourth tee the next pair had caught up and we let them go ahead.

Just after this one of the course greenkeepers asked us to wait for the next couple to go through as there had been complaints of slow play. No problem we waited at the next tee for them to go through. We then were screamed at by a guy who was coming up to finish the previous hole to get going and tee off. We waited at the tee for them to go through but they left us in no doubt we should play faster and should have teed off and then waited.

At the ninth another greenkeeper informed us there had been numerous complaints about our group playing slow. We decided to give in, didn’t finish the hole and abandoned the lunch we had planned in the clubhouse.

We don’t play at weekends or public holidays as we don’t want to stop working people getting a tee time. We are more than willing to wait for groups going through. We just want to go around at our geriatric pace and enjoy the day. Do most golfers play off on less than 28 when they are learning and rapidly progress, do they all walk at a brisk pace. Or have they forgotten how they were when just starting?

So where did we go wrong, when/where should we play? The pro who gave us our initial lessons said to “get out and enjoy playing, no worries the others will understand your beginners and cut some slack.” Wow was he wrong!

The pay and play club was happy to take our money without qualification. We seemed to have upset a lot of people and our day was certainly spoiled at the ninth, maybe we should just dump our clubs in the skip and sit at home!!

Welcome to the forum Daib,
To start with the club was wrong to put a 4 ball of high ish handicappers out in front of smaller groups. You did did well inviting others to play through (y). I know it can be a very long day having to wave through numerous games, I've been sent out in a 6 ball during an invitation comp because a pair didn't turn up, it was an nightmare .
How long did your 9 holes take ?,
do you think you were playing too slow ?
could you have played a bit quicker without rushing. ?
what/who was slowing your game down ?
Where do you play and what time ?. so i can get out before you :ROFLMAO:. only kidding matey we're here to help.(y)(y)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Several issues here. The club (which I know well) were at fault by letting the smaller groups out behind the OP. I don't think it's the greenkeepers place to dictate the pace of play even when the OP's group were clearly doing their bit and standing aside, willingly and at each required opportunity. I think the OP could have helped by splitting his group up (hindsight being great). It isn't mentioned if the OP's group mentioned at the time of booking or paying the green fee if they were newbies

If it was me I would put my thoughts in writing to the club explaining what happened, the embarrassment it clearly caused and the fact you were so put out you didn't stay for the planned lunch. Maybe suggest if other newbie groups turn up they shunt the tee times about or split the fourballs out. Don't let it put you off. I think you had a bad experience but it isn't always like that and there are other decent places like the Downshire in Wokingham you can try

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

Short answer- you didn't go wrong. If the club/course put out a load of two balls after a 4 ball, then it's their fault not yours

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Sorry ,I disagree,it's the nangy guys rushing round that's spoiling Golf ,fair enough on a weekend but midweek for me it's out of order pushing newcomers to Golf
Quit right all these inconsiderate buggers getting round in under 3 hours are spoiling for the slow coaches who just want to take their time, not let anyone through, hold up the course and take 5 hours:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited: