Where did that come from?

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
During the gloomy nights and snowy weekends that have been a feature of our winter I have been working on eliminating/correcting a few swing faults. Namely inconsistent ball striking caused by lateral movement of the hips, we are talking irons only here, the woods are all behaving off tee or turf <frantically looks for wood!> and an out to in swing path caused by having the ball too close at address and then casting over the top.

At the range last night everything suddenly starts going left, the ball starting off reasonably straight and then swinging off, some more dramatically than others, double checked my alignment, grip and ball position which all appeared normal – a one off? Or another flaw manifesting itself?

First medal of the year on Saturday, weather permitting, and unable to get back to the range before then.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Dont panic.
If it's starting fairly straight then the swing path is ok.
When this happens, you tend to stop turning your body as you feel that will hit it left.
The result is the hands flip passed you and it goes left.
Just keep turning through the shot and dont left the club get passed you. :)

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It could be that your ball position is too far forward in your stance,try putting it in the middle of your stance and hitting down on your irons.

Daren't try that! I can manage it on the range mats, but whenever I try to take it onto the course, especially in soft ground conditions, I end up duffing it about 30 yards and leaving a divot that Massey Ferguson would be proud of!

Dont panic.
When this happens, you tend to stop turning your body as you feel that will hit it left.
Just keep turning through the shot and dont left the club get passed you.

The cheque's in the post - I'll pay you out of my winnings! lol

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
inconsistent ball striking caused by lateral movement of the hips, we are talking irons only here, the woods are all behaving off tee or turf <frantically looks for wood!> and an out to in swing path caused by having the ball too close at address and then casting over the top.

Strikes me as weird that you would talk about lateral hip movement, out to in swing path, ball too close and casting the club yet when it comes to a ball going straight then left you don't know what it is :D

Ball going straight and then turning left is a perfect description of a draw :)

Ball going straight and then turning left - Draw
Ball going right and then turning left - Push Draw
Ball going left and turning further left - Pull Draw

You should be grinning from cheek to cheek... you want to STOP that happening?

What is probably happening there is your clubface is pointing just left of the target (1 or 2°)and then you are swinging IN to OUT across it, imparting draw spin, the further in-to-out you are swinging the further left it will curve.... go celebrate!... then check your alignment and start aiming 3 yards right of target! :) hehe

Typically if the ball is basically heading left from the moment of impact then Bob is right that lack of hips is making your arms do the work and roll round your body and drag the ball left.

Nothing wrong with sliding the hips left on the DOWNSWING provided that they also rotate properly, in fact it makes it easier to swing IN to OUT, just don't slide 'em right on the backswing.

Hope this helps.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Bobmac:

Um, What has the direction of the ball got to do with swingpath?

The ball's direction is affected more by the clubface angle than by the swing path.

That's right, ball direction has little to do with the swing path (club face angle is the predominant factor) which is why I'm trying to figure out why you said....

"If it's starting fairly straight then the swing path is ok."

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I chose my words carefully.
The OP said the ball starts reasonably straight.
To which I answered
"Fairly straight" and "swing is ok"
If you read the op, he says the aim hasn't changed, the grip hasn't changed and the ball position is the same so judging by the information we have been provided with, and without seeing the swing, my guess would be as I posted earlier.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I chose my words carefully.
The OP said the ball starts reasonably straight.
To which I answered
"Fairly straight" and "swing is ok"
If you read the op, he says the aim hasn't changed, the grip hasn't changed and the ball position is the same so judging by the information we have been provided with, and without seeing the swing, my guess would be as I posted earlier.

When the hands flip past then the clubface closes and the ball normally doesn't start straight.

However, we can only go on the information provided and straight is only straight if you know where you are aimed :p

For some to swing more than others indicates an irregularity in the swingpath applying more spin to some shots, again, that's based on the fact that the balls all start in the same direction. I think the OP should check their alignment (including shoulders) along with your advice of turning through the shot properly.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Strikes me as weird that you would talk about lateral hip movement, out to in swing path, ball too close and casting the club yet when it comes to a ball going straight then left you don't know what it is :D

Ball going straight and then turning left is a perfect

Nothing wrong with sliding the hips left on the DOWNSWING provided that they also rotate properly, in fact it makes it easier to swing IN to OUT, just don't slide 'em right on the backswing.

The problem was sliding the hips to the right on the takeaway, hence making it very difficult to return to the set-up postion on the downswing.

I'll pay you out of my winnings! lol

[/QUOTE]

Sorry Bob.....played 10 under my handicap :) .....but only managed 2nd :( guess you'll have to settle for a beer at the next meet!

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Leader is currently 2 shots below me! There will be a few more cards to come in after I left the club but will be surprised if anyone goes lower still!

Main thing I did was not to think about what happened at the range and just went with what I had today, a slight fade as it turned out lol

Made a complete horlix of 2 out of the first 3 holes as well (triple, par, triple) so just relaxed and swung easy after that!

bigbiffa

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Dont panic.
Just keep turning through the shot and dont left the club get passed you. :)
good advice! ive been having same prob!