When to shout 4

Big-Dog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played my own course and knocked one OOB and reloaded I then knocked that OOB at the other side but did not see the ball. I said as it felt it came off the toe is it going and my partners said when it had landed yes to then there was a what happened to a shout of four you $%£"&**&^**^$£ etc etc.

Now two things before we tee'd off the party playing down the 10th (10 and 18 run adjacent) one of the fellows had been on our fairway, so I thought that they were not in my range. Second I could not see anyone for the trees that line the 18th and 10th. As I apologised again I was met with some bad language and I said I did not see anyone and also the chappie who had been on my fairway I thought that there was no one in range but am sorry. The perplexed player said then it was about a foot away from him and I should have shouted anyway.

What are the thoughts? I feel bad that I could have injured someone but the comp sec who I was playing with says the other player will be being talked to as his behaviour was not appropriate and the two other partners playing with us said he was rather aggressive.

Hit em Straight .......ish

D

Deleted member 15344

Always shout four when

1. You have no sight of it landing if you believe it is going away from your fairway and there is a possibilty that someone could be in that area
2. If you can see your ball heading towards other people.

And yes the other people were a bit agressive

Last edited by a moderator:

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
What he said. Always shout 'Fore' if you think anyone may be in danger. It costs nothing. I just wish the pro's would once in a while

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
yes shout after any ball going near another player, there is one circumstance that I don't shout even when the ball is heading pretty close to another player

D

Deleted member 15344

yes shout after any ball going near another player, there is one circumstance that I don't shout even when the ball is heading pretty close to another player

Which one ?

C

c1973

putting :cool:

:ears:

:rofl:

I liked that.

On a more serious note, in todays medal I was narrowly missed on 2 occasions but with only one shout of fore! No acknowledgement nor apology for failing to shout. There really is no excuse for not shouting fore.

D

Deleted member 15344

:rofl:

I liked that.

On a more serious note, in todays medal I was narrowly missed on 2 occasions but with only one shout of fore! No acknowledgement nor apology for failing to shout. There really is no excuse for not shouting fore.

I always ensure I make sure they know they failed to shout

Been hit before by someone who failed to shout. He asked why his ball was barely visible and in a very deep pitch mark - my FC said "because I stood on it" - The reply was "why the &@£? Did you do that you £&@:;" - FC reply "because you failed to show any consideration for your fellow golfers when you hit your ball onto an opposing fairway and hit one of us" - the persons reply was "p?!£&" then he picked the ball up and walked away.

Believe a couple months later he was asked to leave the club - he also hit someone else in the head ( thankfully the person was hit on the glasses arm )

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always shout "FORE" when the ball is going to leave my fairway, or it is obviously going towards someone. Also it does actually cover you on a legal side of things if you do hit someone, as my mate found out when he shattered someone's hand once.

C

c1973

I always ensure I make sure they know they failed to shout

Been hit before by someone who failed to shout. He asked why his ball was barely visible and in a very deep pitch mark - my FC said "because I stood on it" - The reply was "why the &@£? Did you do that you £&@:;" - FC reply "because you failed to show any consideration for your fellow golfers when you hit your ball onto an opposing fairway and hit one of us" - the persons reply was "p?!£&" then he picked the ball up and walked away.

Believe a couple months later he was asked to leave the club - he also hit someone else in the head ( thankfully the person was hit on the glasses arm )

I normally would say something, not sure why I didn't tbh, good mood due to the sun being out probably. The look I gave him probably said enough though.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Of course, there was nothing to prevent the other guys in the group shouting Fore!

For some wayward shots, FCs/PPs are actually in a better position to realise that a ball is headed towards others - and should not shout Fore asap! The actual player is often initially more concerned about what is happening to his/her ball and that second or so can mean the difference between another player protecting themself or getting.hit!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
use the fore shout as a release. its a bad shot. get it out of you and also protect other players from this wayward shot. everyone wins.

I enjoy bellowing fore when ive hit a shocker! :fore:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What about the situation when you hit a drive that will be close but you know will certainly miss the player.
I tend to not shout as this could send that player ducking into the flight of the ball.
I always explain my actions which are generally seen as the right thing to do.

D

Deleted member 15344

What about the situation when you hit a drive that will be close but you know will certainly miss the player.
I tend to not shout as this could send that player ducking into the flight of the ball.
I always explain my actions which are generally seen as the right thing to do.

What if it gets a dodgy bounce and goes towards him ? If the ball is close to the ball then shout fore instead of letting them hear the unexpected shock of hearing a ball land near them. Your explanation that you "knew" it wouldnt hit me would be met by "can you tell me the lottery numbers as well"

If you shout then people can be prepared and brace themselves for the possibility - they dont go ducking and running for cover.