When it suddenly clicks ...

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Playing yesterday, usual mixture of good, bad and indifferent, when out of nowhere, on 16, 17 and 18, I hit 3 of the best drives of my life.

Beautiful shape to them, right in the middle of the fairway, and miles longer than I normally hit them. I’m not a big hitter, a really good one is normally about 210, we measured my drive on the 17th at 260!

The frustrating part is I’m not sure what I was doing differently and I was only half joking when I said to the lads on the 18th “this is brilliant, can we go round again please?”

Last edited:

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's that loose swing when the body is free of tension for the first time because your brain has told it the score isn't all-important any more and you can just enjoy it.

I would love to know how well I'd score if I could play a full round like that!

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
bizarre - drove pretty poorly for most of today's round, then when I got to 16, 3 great drives in a row again. guess it must be a confidence thing.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Last week I was working on my drives on the range, and similarly, the very last 4 balls were suddenly perfect. Thought I'd cracked it.

First drive on Saturday - topped it 60 yards.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Funny how hitting a long iron isn't too difficult, but hitting a driver is a different story!

Anyhow I feel like I'm making good progress with my driver, its always been the club I struggle with, but I played yesterday and never really did much wrong with it!

It isn't textbook, but I swing VERY flat, and have my feet staggered. So my right foot (Right handed golfer) starts in line with my left foot, but then I move it back 2/3 inches. Its unconventional....but its working!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm smashing the living daylights out of every drive at the moment, just for the hell of it, it's working so far, but I'm shattered on the last three holes.:D

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ive played golf for around 18 years... the majority of the time I have been a high 80's scorer. Last summer it all clicked for around 2 months and I was shooting mid 70's consistently. Then it went and I am back to shooting high 80's/low 90's most of the time! :rofl:

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
The clicking is the sub conscious doing what it knows how. 16 holes deep, card ruined. Stop thinking and start just hitting. Stopped talking yourself into bad shots, swing thoughts and all the other carry on that goes around in our heads.

D

Deleted member 21258

As Duncan says enjoy the moment.

My son thinks I am mad, when I say I am due a bad round as I have had a few good rounds. Its annoys the hell out of me, the bad rounds normally happen when you play a nice course or like, why cant I be hacking before hand and then the good round happens at the nice course. Flipping golf:D

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Funny how hitting a long iron isn't too difficult, but hitting a driver is a different story!

Anyhow I feel like I'm making good progress with my driver, its always been the club I struggle with, but I played yesterday and never really did much wrong with it!

It isn't textbook, but I swing VERY flat, and have my feet staggered. So my right foot (Right handed golfer) starts in line with my left foot, but then I move it back 2/3 inches. Its unconventional....but its working!

The set up with your feet is not that unconventional I do that as well, it was Jack Nicklaus that gave this tip for seniors to help them turn easier on the backswing.