When do you think you will next play golf?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Absolutely gutted to receive this email this morning, anybody else in a similar situation?

View attachment 30650

It is a resort course but has a membership that has grown strongly over the last 12-18 months and we must have around 300 members....The members Whatsaapp group is on fire this morning and people are not happy! Since had further comms to say it will likely be weeks if not longer until the course is open!

I would like to hear if others are in similar position and is there anything the membership could do to force them to open???

Cheers
Belfry and forest of arden haven't even communicated with their members yet. Members at the belfry are a thorn in their side and the revenue from membership is a drop in the ocean. Therefore no rush to get them playing golf. One of the downsides to resort golf

D

Deleted member 3432

Belfry and forest of arden haven't even communicated with their members yet. Members at the belfry are a thorn in their side and the revenue from membership is a drop in the ocean. Therefore no rush to get them playing golf. One of the downsides to resort golf
Is this likely to lead to a change of club in future for you?

Simonsmh

Visit site
All of that is fair enough, but not if they have still been taking membership costs. Maybe Simonsmh can clarify?

They put DD's on hold from April, but a lot of people paid up in full. Other local clubs are being quite accommodating and offering deals. The problem is that the course is fantastic and nothing else locally compares.

It's always been a resort course but I am still a little surprised. The general manager and head green keeper have done an amazing job over the last 18-24 months to improve the course and grow the membership. I suspect the membership will shrink considerable as people cancel their membership and go elsewhere. Such a shame.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
They put DD's on hold from April, but a lot of people paid up in full. Other local clubs are being quite accommodating and offering deals. The problem is that the course is fantastic and nothing else locally compares.

It's always been a resort course but I am still a little surprised. The general manager and head green keeper have done an amazing job over the last 18-24 months to improve the course and grow the membership. I suspect the membership will shrink considerable as people cancel their membership and go elsewhere. Such a shame.

It is a shame but if the members are a small financial factor in the overall equation then they are not going to run at a loss to accommodate them. I always felt that when I was a member at a resort course. Members are wonderful in Winter when the course is empty and there are less guests spending money but for the best part of the year they are just an inconvenience (hence the roll up got given tee times earlier and earlier at the weekend to allow for the prime morning spots to be sold or handed out to guests of the hotel).

Visit site
Our course announced that they wouldn't re-open until June 1st. However, since yesterday, there's been an about turn, and "hey ho", they're opening on Friday.
Happy days indeed.
But I would echo simonsmh's thoughts. If we hadn't reopened this week, there would have been some very upset members.

Mandofred

Visit site
Only a day or so into BRS starting up, but so far it doesn't look like our course is overly packed (can only play 9 holes). There are still plenty of slots open this evening and over the next few days. I would think (hoping) after our 10 day "let's see how it's working" period they will go back to 18 holes. Practicing in the morning and then playing on Friday morning with someone from our usual group that was looking for somebody to play with.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Not sure where you got the information regarding the R number not dropping below 1 , Nicola Sturgeon said the other day it was between 0.7 and 1.

As much as I think golf is as safe as anything at the moment and I am itching to go and play another week or 2 won’t make much difference.

I'll refer you back to post #2105.

Like yourself i feel a week or two wont make any real difference.

The next 3/4 months will determine my future with golf. This whole episode has really opened my eyes to other areas of my life that i now enjoy and get satisfaction from. Also spending more time with the family can only be a good thing.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
By the third hole the two two-balls in front of us had joined up to become a four ball. Then they separated on the 18th so it would look like they’d stayed as two balls the whole way around. Morons.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
By the third hole the two two-balls in front of us had joined up to become a four ball. Then they separated on the 18th so it would look like they’d stayed as two balls the whole way around. Morons.

Wondered how long it would take for that to start happening. Anyone report it or was just let slide. That to me should result in a ban on the groups booking adjacent tee slots at the least but would even be tempted to give a full ban until 4 balls are allowed again as it was a clear, deliberate and pre-meditated act to breach the social distancing rules.

Visit site
My Dad who's in his 70s wants to play golf with me and it's allowed now as a two ball. However, given his age I don't know how sensible it is. I'm not sure what to do...

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Wondered how long it would take for that to start happening. Anyone report it or was just let slide. That to me should result in a ban on the groups booking adjacent tee slots at the least but would even be tempted to give a full ban until 4 balls are allowed again as it was a clear, deliberate and pre-meditated act to breach the social distancing rules.
It was only at a pay and play. I reported it to the pro shop but it’s a tiny place so no doubt they don’t have the manpower to marshall it.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My Dad who's in his 70s wants to play golf with me and it's allowed now as a two ball. However, given his age I don't know how sensible it is. I'm not sure what to do...

Not sure anyone can give you the answer to that. Any underlying conditions that means he should be shielding?

All I can say is that my mum is over 70 and since my dad died, golf became her life and not being able to play has been so hard. She nearly cried when she heard that she could go back out on the course and is out playing today. Is there a risk, possibly, but his her life inexorably better now she can do the one thing she loves, definitely. I worry for her but I am not even going to try and stop her simply due to the sheer joy that it gives her. She is sensible, she knows the risks and has made her choice.

Visit site
Not sure anyone can give you the answer to that. Any underlying conditions that means he should be shielding?

All I can say is that my mum is over 70 and since my dad died, golf became her life and not being able to play has been so hard. She nearly cried when she heard that she could go back out on the course and is out playing today. Is there a risk, possibly, but his her life inexorably better now she can do the one thing she loves, definitely. I worry for her but I am not even going to try and stop her simply due to the sheer joy that it gives her. She is sensible, she knows the risks and has made her choice.

Thanks for the reply, he has no underlying health conditions. I'm inclined to play but my brother thinks it's a bad idea which potentially creates a conflict in itself. It's certainly not an easy decision. I know he's playing with a friend tomorrow or Friday anyway.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'll refer you back to post #2105.

Like yourself i feel a week or two wont make any real difference.

The next 3/4 months will determine my future with golf. This whole episode has really opened my eyes to other areas of my life that i now enjoy and get satisfaction from. Also spending more time with the family can only be a good thing.
I read post #2105 that’s why I was surprised you said in a later post the R number had not gone below 1.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Woo hoo, as a current non-member I wasn't sure if I'd have a chance, but a club I was close to joining just pre-the closures has booked me on for Friday after work :) I'll likely bring the DD forms home as well.
No longer woo hoo, sounds like the "resort" have over-ruled the golf course and delayed re-opening :( Back to square one.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site

This is where I can imagine people saying things like 'a round of golf is not worth risking your health'. But if golf is a significantly big part of your life/social life, then I can understand people taking managed low risks.

I hope your mum enjoyed her round :)

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Report them. Even if you don't know their names, the club will know who they are.

That sort of selfish behaviour could put a stop to everyone playing.