When do you think you will next play golf?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Caution and it hasn't dropped below the magical 1 figure. And probably based in the assumption we're two weeks behind.

Personally i think its a sensible decision, others disagree but thats neither here or there, for the sake of two weeks i can be patient, end is sight and i may even consider swinging a club again.

Not sure where you got the information regarding the R number not dropping below 1 , Nicola Sturgeon said the other day it was between 0.7 and 1.

As much as I think golf is as safe as anything at the moment and I am itching to go and play another week or 2 won’t make much difference.

Siolag

Visit site
Not sure where you got the information regarding the R number not dropping below 1 , Nicola Sturgeon said the other day it was between 0.7 and 1.

As much as I think golf is as safe as anything at the moment and I am itching to go and play another week or 2 won’t make much difference.

I’m much in agreement with that, another week or 2 is ok, and if it prevents a second peak, then that’ll be a massive success.

What’s frustrating me is that England has a timetable of how things might progress and we have nothing. If we knew it was 2 weeks, at least you’d have a date to look forward to.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
They don't know with much certainty, it must be very difficult to work out to a reasonable degree of accuracy. Same applies for England or anywhere else.

Latest info I can find online is 0.5 to 0.9 in England and 0.7 - 1.0 in Scotland. That means it could be higher in England but there is a large error margin in both regions.

I still believe that golf (with sensible precautions) is absolutely safe, unlike walking (as much or as often as you like) along busy paths.

It was said the other day that Manchester has the same R number as Scotland.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’m much in agreement with that, another week or 2 is ok, and if it prevents a second peak, then that’ll be a massive success.

What’s frustrating me is that England has a timetable of how things might progress and we have nothing. If we knew it was 2 weeks, at least you’d have a date to look forward to.

Hold on there... Allowing golf will not cause a second peak.

Tommy10

Visit site
I think Scotland will get the go ahead for Monday 25th May, maybe announce it early next week and give the courses time to do their final preparations.

Tommy10

Visit site
Is that a guess or do you have some inside info?

Don't have any inside info, just the fact we are around a week behind England in respect of the R number and that our hospital admissions / critical care numbers are going down.

There will be pressure behind the scenes to get the courses open up here and by announcing it early next week for the following Monday it still gives NS time to pull the plug if the numbers were to creep up again prior to 25th.

Only my opinion but I reckon with Wales following suit yesterday we won't be that far away now.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
people are generally and naturally too impatient, let’s hope we‘re not so stupid as to repeat history ?

View attachment 30649

892c74a6d56832395c698e4d93a7f616.jpg

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
To clarify on that, from the BBC on Spanish Flu:

'There was no centrally imposed lockdown to curb the spread of infection, although many theatres, dance halls, cinemas and churches were closed, in some cases for months.

Pubs, which were already subject to wartime restrictions on opening hours, mostly stayed open. The Football League and the FA Cup had been cancelled for the war, but there was no effort to cancel other matches or limit crowds, with men's teams playing in regional competitions, and women's football, which attracted large crowds, continuing throughout the pandemic.'

So whilst there was indeed a second wave that was worse than the first wave, there really wasn't really a 'quarantine'.

Siolag

Visit site
I think Scotland will get the go ahead for Monday 25th May, maybe announce it early next week and give the courses time to do their final preparations.

Hopefully, and it would mean my prediction was spot on;

I will be optimistic and say toward the end of May.

I can imagine there will be people caught on our course, as there were people caught when the course was flooded, who hadn't started anywhere near the clubhouse and then said they didn't know it was closed.

Simonsmh

Visit site
Absolutely gutted to receive this email this morning, anybody else in a similar situation?

1589363686427.png

It is a resort course but has a membership that has grown strongly over the last 12-18 months and we must have around 300 members....The members Whatsaapp group is on fire this morning and people are not happy! Since had further comms to say it will likely be weeks if not longer until the course is open!

I would like to hear if others are in similar position and is there anything the membership could do to force them to open???

Cheers

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
We're operating a 2 tee start playing 9 holes
We currently have 59 tee slots available.....today!
We're full off the first and nearly empty off the 10th. But I suspect that since the booking system defaults to the 1st most people didn't want to try and change the page to the 10th tee in case you got kicked out of the system!
We can go on the play the back 9 as long as we book into the system just so the club can monitor the numbers

BerkshireGolfer10

Visit site
Absolutely gutted to receive this email this morning, anybody else in a similar situation?

View attachment 30650

It is a resort course but has a membership that has grown strongly over the last 12-18 months and we must have around 300 members....The members Whatsaapp group is on fire this morning and people are not happy! Since had further comms to say it will likely be weeks if not longer until the course is open!

I would like to hear if others are in similar position and is there anything the membership could do to force them to open???

Cheers

We are in exactly the same situation being a hotel golf club. I don't think there is anything membership can do other than leave on mass which is what our small group of 6 is planning to do. We are all frantically calling other local clubs (of which there are many) to sign up elsewhere to play.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site

View attachment 30650

Cheers
If people have still been paying membership costs during the closure, this really is outrageous. This will also likely mean that a number of their furloughed staff that could have been taken back on, will still be on furlough pay which of course comes out of the taxpayers pockets. Very naughty.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
If people have still been paying membership costs during the closure, this really is outrageous. This will also likely mean that a number of their furloughed staff that could have been taken back on, will still be on furlough pay which of course comes out of the taxpayers pockets. Very naughty.

It is but resort courses are based on a model that allowed for food and drink sales, pay and play tee times, societies etc. The membership costs would have been based on the club bringing in that additional income. As the resort is focused on profit above all, if it is not financially viable to open a course they will not do so, same as some companies remaining open and keeping some staff on furlough until the conditions are right. You also have the issue of whether the club has to open any parts of the hotel of toilet facilities etc. That then requires more staff and more procedures.

Whilst I do not agree with it, I am surprised that more clubs have not decided not to open as the losses would be more significant than they would be if they stayed shut.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
10:30am Sunday morning. I wouldn't normally play Sunday morning - but it was the only tee time left across Saturday and Sunday and so needs must. I have no fear of any retribution being meted out :)

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
It is but resort courses are based on a model that allowed for food and drink sales, pay and play tee times, societies etc. The membership costs would have been based on the club bringing in that additional income. As the resort is focused on profit above all, if it is not financially viable to open a course they will not do so, same as some companies remaining open and keeping some staff on furlough until the conditions are right. You also have the issue of whether the club has to open any parts of the hotel of toilet facilities etc. That then requires more staff and more procedures.

Whilst I do not agree with it, I am surprised that more clubs have not decided not to open as the losses would be more significant than they would be if they stayed shut.
All of that is fair enough, but not if they have still been taking membership costs. Maybe Simonsmh can clarify?