When do you think you will next play golf?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
It might be quite rare, but it will still happen and there lies the problem.
The majority of golfers are older and more at risk as has already been said.
All the people saying it will be ok, have probably not had any real experience of the virus.
Im in my 30’s and pretty healthy yet it gave me a fair old fright.
Im 3 weeks from showing symptoms and still not quite 100%.

If people don't follow the rules re social distancing on the course. It's only gonna be in their groupings. I highly doubt they will be hugging strangers or walking down wrong fairways just to get close to people.
A few weeks ago, people who were saying we shouldn't golf used non essential travel as the only real defence. Which was fair enough, but now that rule has been changed, there really isn't a reason to stop it. Now people are saying that if we start golf then people will revolt and play football and rugby etc. Well Other activities have been going on for five weeks now and that hasn't happened. I'm pretty sure people can tell the difference between contact and non contact events. There comes a point where people needed to be trusted to do the right thing.
I can't see any proof that golf is any more dangerous than a walk, cycle or run. Now if the government decide to ban all exercise due to contact being possible then that's fair enough.

I have been massively effected by the outbreak btw, but that doesn't mean the world should or feasibly can be expected to live in solitude for ever.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If people don't follow the rules re social distancing on the course. It's only gonna be in their groupings. I highly doubt they will be hugging strangers or walking down wrong fairways just to get close to people.
A few weeks ago, people who were saying we shouldn't golf used non essential travel as the only real defence. Which was fair enough, but now that rule has been changed, there really isn't a reason to stop it. Now people are saying that if we start golf then people will revolt and play football and rugby etc. Well Other activities have been going on for five weeks now and that hasn't happened. I'm pretty sure people can tell the difference between contact and non contact events. There comes a point where people needed to be trusted to do the right thing.
I can't see any proof that golf is any more dangerous than a walk, cycle or run. Now if the government decide to ban all exercise due to contact being possible then that's fair enough.

I have been massively effected by the outbreak btw, but that doesn't mean the world should or feasibly can be expected to live in solitude for ever.

No they are affecting everybody they come into contact with afterwards and everybody they come into afterwards and so on.

I would expect and hope every activity where social distancing doesn't get followed to get banned.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
No they are affecting everybody they come into contact with afterwards and everybody they come into afterwards and so on.

I would expect and hope every activity where social distancing doesn't get followed to get banned.

If they're not practicing good social distance on a golf course then I doubt they are when shopping or doing anything else.

There isn't an activity available where you can guarantee you won't go near someone.
Go for a walk and you're just as likely.

You can't or at least shouldn't penalise all people for the fear of a few.

This isn't a. It's not fair rant. As I'll follow the rules as long as I have to. I just think the logic is totally flawed as it clearly is no more risk than maky allowed activities currenelty.

Mick68

Visit site
It might be quite rare, but it will still happen and there lies the problem.
The majority of golfers are older and more at risk as has already been said.
All the people saying it will be ok, have probably not had any real experience of the virus.
Im in my 30’s and pretty healthy yet it gave me a fair old fright.
Im 3 weeks from showing symptoms and still not quite 100%.
Hopefully you'll be 100% soon. As others have said we can't stay locked up forever and there will probably be a spike whenever we relax restrictions. If golf can be played safely then it should be allowed (as should anything that can be done safely - why ban something if it's safe) and if some people choose to be irresponsible and play it in an unsafe way by not following the rules then that's their decision and they should be warned then banned if necessary. I would say golfers generally follow rules better than most - just look at our rule book.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i would go a step further and stop the over 40s too, can never be too sure!!
The slowest player in our club is 24yrs old off plus two and thinks he’s on the tour.
The time he takes to putt is just unbelievable looks from every angle.
So it won’t stop the slow play.
An 80yr old member asked him to hurry up once as he said he was “stiffening up.”

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just seen a social media post (so take with a pinch of salt), that Ireland will be opening their courses from Saturday morning with an announcement being made at 5.00 tomorrow.

Mick68

Visit site
And that sums up the selfishness of golfers....

I want to play..........

☹️
It's not selfish or irresponsible if you genuinely believe it can be done safely. If you don't think it can be done safely and say we should be able to play then that would be selfish. I think it can be done safely so should be in the first group of activities to be allowed (with restrictions) when the time is right. I don't think there's any justification in a free society for stopping people from doing something that can be done safely. When they bring in contact tracing it will be interesting to see if any cases are traced back to the golf course - if so in any numbers then we'll have to accept it's not as safe as some of us think - personally I think this will be unlikely.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
THANK YOU Happy Hacker! And NO THANK YOU Jacko_G! Where IS the selfishness in what I have said? Although keen to play, I don't want to play before it is deemed safe to play. I merely mentioned the two tee idea. As Happy Hacker has said DOZENS of folk are walking freely and indiscriminately across our courses as I write. I've got to say Jacko_G that you would not be on my two ball list!

Good cos it'll be singles or same family only just now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21258

Over the last 1-2 weeks, have gone back to doing speed training and managed to convince the wife to have a go.

She has already gone from swinging normally around 57-58 to swinging at mid 64-66. And her max has gone from 62 on the first session to 70mph. All measure on the little swing radar. The one arm shaft swings she has done even better on. Me, well not so great, think I am near my max from last time I did it, I'm a failure :LOL::LOL:

Helps to pass an evening away and a bit of exercise, surprising how much effort it takes to speed out of your boots, so I'm already back into golf. Must get the putter out next, to see if I can shake off the dust;)

I miss golf ...........................................................

User20204

Visit site
Good cos it'll be singles or same family only just now.

How does that get policed then, not the singles obviously but the same families. In a club of say 1000 members there are likely to be a few from the same family but not big numbers yet myself and my two brothers are members of the same club, are we ok to play together yet we don't live together.

Singles, pah! think I'd rather go have a cycle, golf on your own is dull.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
bottom line is playing golf is perfectly safe durring this period. anyone who thinks otherwise is stupid. so why aren't we playing? it's simple. you allow golf then you'll have an argument from solo sailing, fishing, bowls. the list is endless. people are stupid, they see someone playing golf and 10 minutes later they'll be calling their mates arranging a five aside football match because "it's not fair". it's crazy that I can't sit on a fishing lake by myself but I completely understand why I cant

Why is it perfectly safe.

A sneeze onto a flag pole? Is that perfectly safe?

Break an ankle and have to have ambulance crews attend - is that perfectly safe? As I say just playing devils advocate but it certainly isn't perfectly safe and to brand someone stupid for stating that it clearly isn't 100% safe says more about you.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
How does that get policed then, not the singles obviously but the same families. In a club of say 1000 members there are likely to be a few from the same family but not big numbers yet myself and my two brothers are members of the same club, are we ok to play together yet we don't live together.

Singles, pah! think I'd rather go have a cycle, golf on your own is dull.

No idea who will police any of it. Who will want to? However the "leaked information" appears to suggest IF golf starts back up this may very well be the case.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site

Break an ankle and have to have ambulance crews attend - is that perfectly safe? As I say just playing devils advocate but it certainly isn't perfectly safe and to brand someone stupid for stating that it clearly isn't 100% safe says more about you.

simple, don't touch the flag in the unlikely event that a person who had covid just happen to sneeze on a 15mm wide pole!!

how many times have you seen a broken ankle on a golf course? I'm more likely to break an an walking down my stairs at home.

you could say "what if" all day. the simple fact is you would be extremely unlucky to contract covid on a golf course if you didn't follow basic rules. measures that are put in place are more than sufficient.
i for one agree with course closures though

CallawayKid

Q-School Graduate
www.regimentway.co.uk

You really are the Eeyore of this thread aren't you, smile, that's more contagious!

Flag pole - Sneeze away, we're not going to touch them!
Break an ankle - You could do that on your daily exercise of walking...you can cause a lot more problems being on, or falling off, a bike.

Take a breath, think about the good times and just let people find a way.

CK

Mick68

Visit site

Nothing is 100% safe. Even staying in bed all day will mean you become unfit and probably overweight. If we have to wait until it's 100% safe then we'll never do anything ever again. It doesn't have to be 100% safe just low risk and I would say golf is very low risk.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
simple, don't touch the flag in the unlikely event that a person who had covid just happen to sneeze on a 15mm wide pole!!

how many times have you seen a broken ankle on a golf course? I'm more likely to break an an walking down my stairs at home.

you could say "what if" all day. the simple fact is you would be extremely unlucky to contract covid on a golf course if you didn't follow basic rules. measures that are put in place are more than sufficient.
i for one agree with course closures though

So from branding people stupid you now agree it could happen.

Thank you.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
You really are the Eeyore of this thread aren't you, smile, that's more contagious!

Flag pole - Sneeze away, we're not going to touch them!
Break an ankle - You could do that on your daily exercise of walking...you can cause a lot more problems being on, or falling off, a bike.

Take a breath, think about the good times and just let people find a way.

CK

Do flag poles not blow in the wind?

It wasn't that long ago people were complaining that big sausage fingers were damaging holes therefore it's perfectly reasonable to suggest that there will be some inadvertent touching of the flag!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Nothing is 100% safe. Even staying in bed all day will mean you become unfit and probably overweight. If we have to wait until it's 100% safe then we'll never do anything ever again. It doesn't have to be 100% safe just low risk and I would say golf is very low risk.

Correct it is low risk. However I was referring to someone stupidly saying it was perfectly safe which is utter rubbish.

Low risk is completely different from "perfectly safe".