When do you think you will next play golf?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What about traveling to golf, where is line drawn between essential travel & traveling to exercise, if indeed golf is an associated form of exercise?

I’ve read we can now drive to exercise as long as the exercise exceeds the drive, it takes me 2hrs to get to Woodhall Spa, a round is typically between 3.5 - 4hrs (fourball), so is that acceptable, or is the distance too far and falls into essential travel, and if so, where’s the line drawn?
Interesting that you took it that way. I read it in terms of distance not time. I don't know which is right by the way but ambiguous advice is not great.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Loads, and I mean loads of people out on my course today. Nearly every green had a family on it, picnicking, playing tag, footy, what ever. Loads of walkers, dogs, etc. It's going to be hard to justify closing it to people who are 'exercising' there so a privileged few can play golf.

I do think the green keepers should rope off the greens. Or put some poisonous chemicals down.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Crown Golf have mailed all their members about a potential re-opening of courses on May 11th and being able to book on-line from May 4th but no more than two balls. Perhaps a little premature but you can understand their position. They do stress this is totally dependent on Government restrictions being lifted.

I have a sub-committee in place at Pyrford where we are making potential decisions on knockout and club competitions in advance of things changing. But of course we will have to wait to see what happens in the first week of May.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have heard this date of 11th May quite a bit, including from the owner of the club my mum plays at. Not sure if it is wishful thinking, a coincidence based on lockdown dates or whether there is information coming to clubs that we are not aware of. Certainly I first heard this date before the second lockdown was announced

sunshine

Visit site
I have heard this date of 11th May quite a bit, including from the owner of the club my mum plays at. Not sure if it is wishful thinking, a coincidence based on lockdown dates or whether there is information coming to clubs that we are not aware of. Certainly I first heard this date before the second lockdown was announced

Government announces 3 week lockdown, obliged to reassess / provide an update every 3 weeks. Was pretty obvious that they were going to extend another 3 weeks last week, but if you're optimistic then 11th may is the potential beginning of "freedom " - fairly logical date to assume.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I see BIGGA have waded in saying keep courses closed it's too dangerous to open them.

I'm with them and their duty of care.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What about traveling to golf, where is line drawn between essential travel & traveling to exercise, if indeed golf is an associated form of exercise?

I’ve read we can now drive to exercise as long as the exercise exceeds the drive, it takes me 2hrs to get to Woodhall Spa, a round is typically between 3.5 - 4hrs (fourball), so is that acceptable, or is the distance too far and falls into essential travel, and if so, where’s the line drawn?

I'm not convinced a 2 hour drive is local. Please read the advice

https://www.google.com/amp/s/inews....-rules-guidance-driving-explained-2519644?amp

The Government has clarified that only essential travel should be undertaken, and that daily exercise should occur locally and close to home.
"Stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible – do not travel unnecessarily," the guidance states.

sunshine

Visit site

I understand the logic of the article, given the nanny state / where there's blame there's a claim society we live in today.

But if you step back and look at the grand scheme of things, it really is pathetic. A golf course is not a dangerous place to go for a walk.

From the article: "golf courses are designed to be landscapes with hazards in place, such as sudden drops into bunkers, areas of trees and water hazards. With reduced maintenance taking place, there is the potential for these areas to become dangerous to a public that is unaccustomed to the golf course environment."

I went for a walk in the woods yesterday. There were sudden drops, streams, ditches, ponds, and areas of trees. None of these were roped off or signposted, but somehow we survived.

D

Deleted member 15344

Yeah - my bad.

Still keep them shut for everyone though. Far safer for all.

In fairness the headlines are very misleading and a few publications are stating the same as what you have

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It doesn't help when things like this get reposted a few days after the original article..infers it's new when it isn't..I read most of the text until I realised I'd read it several days before..

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yeah - my bad.

Still keep them shut for everyone though. Far safer for all.
Having today watched the tv/news, read the papers, done the crosswords, just read all 28 pages of this post and come to the conclusion as they say in Dads Army (which I remember) "we`re doomed we are all doomed". so how can I cancel my "Life Membership" of my Club ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Having today watched the tv/news, read the papers, done the crosswords, just read all 28 pages of this post and come to the conclusion as they say in Dads Army (which I remember) "we`re doomed we are all doomed". so how can I cancel my "Life Membership" of my Club ?
Somewhat distasteful post alert.....

Catch a fatal case of Covid19?

Visit site
Somewhat distasteful post alert.....

Well I didn't find it distasteful in any way. Oldtimer is merely reflecting the situation he is in regarding membership, and the situation we are all in. As Tony Blair said this morning, the new "normal" will not be the "normal" that we have hitherto enjoyed.
I'm with Oldtimer all the way, and one of my employees often uses Frazer's remark from Dad's Army, "we're all doomed", and now we are congratulating him on being on the money!

Catch a fatal case of Covid19?

Mick68

Visit site
Was wondering if anyone had any innovative thoughts on how we get out of the predicament we're in if we don't get an effective vaccine soon(ish). I think this is relevant to this thread as it looks like we'll only play golf again when we find a solution. I was thinking we could all be given our own individualised percentage risk based on age, gender, weight (overweight people have worse outcomes) and pre-existing health conditions then we can decide for ourselves what risks we're willing to take. If healthy 20 yr old then can do what you want as virtually no risk (of death) but if older and ill and say 80% risk of death then would have to be very careful and supported by the state to stay safe - if that's what you want - but could be as reckless or safe as you choose to be. Everybody else would be somewhere in-between and have to decide for themselves what risks they're willing to take. The problem with this is that your only as strong/safe as the weakest person in your household - might mean older (or younger) people having to move out of a house and live on their own or with someone at a similar risk/attitude to them to allow more freedom for the younger ones. Just a thought but we might need a bit of lateral thinking if things don't change.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was wondering if anyone had any innovative thoughts on how we get out of the predicament we're in if we don't get an effective vaccine soon(ish). I think this is relevant to this thread as it looks like we'll only play golf again when we find a solution. I was thinking we could all be given our own individualised percentage risk based on age, gender, weight (overweight people have worse outcomes) and pre-existing health conditions then we can decide for ourselves what risks we're willing to take. If healthy 20 yr old then can do what you want as virtually no risk (of death) but if older and ill and say 80% risk of death then would have to be very careful and supported by the state to stay safe - if that's what you want - but could be as reckless or safe as you choose to be. Everybody else would be somewhere in-between and have to decide for themselves what risks they're willing to take. The problem with this is that your only as strong/safe as the weakest person in your household - might mean older (or younger) people having to move out of a house and live on their own or with someone at a similar risk/attitude to them to allow more freedom for the younger ones. Just a thought but we might need a bit of lateral thinking if things don't change.
China ran a scheme via your smart phone which enabled some normality to return, it was their first step after their strict lockdown ended. In effect, this may not be spot on but you will get the gist, each day you log on to the app, confirm if you have had it or not. You then take your temperature and confirm what it is. The app then gives you a green light. You can then go out but the police, shops etc can ask you at any time to show the green light. This allows you freedom of movement. Anyone who gets a red light is banned from going out, the app stays red, until the alloted isolation time is up. Equally, the app is a tracker, everyone who you came into contact with in the previous few days is identified and contacted by the app. If you have had the virus before then your app stays green, if you have not it turns red and you have to isolate.

The above is not a prefect description of how it works but hopefully it makes sense. I believe a UK version is being looked at as part of the relaxation process. My BiL works in China and used the app succesfully. It was very simple and seemed to be quite effective.