When do you think you will next play golf?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just had to mute my golf WhatsApp group.

Sick of people moaning about not being able to just do what they like.

Understand the frustration, but there are more important things right now.

Probably not the best thing to post on a golf forum ?
Left the one I set up for the Saturday roll up as they're doing the same. Moaning like buggery and no-one seems capable of waiting from more clarification from the government, EU and then the club.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
We're open as of Wednesday - singles & "2ball, same household" - but have only opened up booking for next three days as changes to the "rules" are anticipated (ie based on todays proclamations, they think England Golf may sanction "2ball, any household"). Not going to bother booking anything for myself yet - can't say I'm bothered about going round by myself.

Wedgey

Club Champion
Visit site

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
From Gov guidance released

"From Wednesday 13 May, the government will also allow outdoor sports facilities – such as tennis and basketball courts, golf courses and bowling greens – to open, but you should only use these alone, with members of your household, or with one other person from outside your household, while keeping two metres apart at all times."

Should mean two balls are on.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/staying-alert-and-safe-social-distancing/staying-alert-and-safe-social-distancing

sunshine

Visit site
This timescale was given to me earlier:

Golf bodies expected to announce guidelines after government clarification today (Mon).

Recall furloughed staff, re-induct them to new working practices (Tue/Wed)

Commence essential work to restore course, eg tee markers, fairway posts, cutting greens and grass all around the course, cutting holes etc

Install signage for the public re golf being played and sticking to the footpaths. General tidy up of litter, repair any damage.

Open Friday earliest.

That's very realistic.

I think that's a bit pessimistic.

Last week my club told us they would need 48 hours to get the course ready to open. That 48 hour clock has started ticking... they expect to open on Wednesday afternoon.

Most clubs have been maintaining the course through the lockdown period. Not at competition standard, but good enough to play. For example, my club has told us that it would take a week of mowing to bring the height of cut on the greens down to normal. Same with fairways. I think it's reasonable for courses to open on Wednesday, not in tip top condition, but then improve towards summer conditions over the next week or two.

I also think it's reasonable that green keeping teams focus on the key playing areas (e.g. greens and tees), which might mean that less critical areas (e.g. bunkers) are in a worse state for the next few months.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
opened here this morning at 9am, they were queueing 400m down the road to it, out onto the main road and blocking the roundabout another 200m back to try and get there!

Ours are by pre booked appointment only and only taking garden waste and wood.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ours are by pre booked appointment only and only taking garden waste and wood.

seems sensible

we are still getting garden waste collections every fortnight (if youve paid for it), our dump seems to be 1 person per vehicle and you need a driving license to prove you live in Dorset to get in otherwise no restrictions

Ive got a stack to tip but it can stay in the garage a few more weeks!

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I think all clubs are different. I was up at my course the other day and it looked a right state, but in fairness to them, they sent an email out last week saying it would take a couple of weeks to get back to scratch.

More interestingly, they sent an email today that said 'Following the announcements from the National Government on Sunday 10th May, we are currently awaiting clarity on some of the latest restrictions before we make any decisions as to whether we may be able to reopen some of our golf courses.'

To me, that seems to suggest that they won't bother opening if they are only allowed singles. If this is the case, I can understand the logic - it is very much a pay and play course, with few members, and they also stopped charging for membership when the course first closed.

Does effectively re-employing 8+ members of staff work out cost effective if you're only going to have 50 people playing golf, each only paying about £20 each? Almost certainly not.

Equally, a 9 hole course down the road that isn't too dissimilar sent an email saying that they'll be open on Wednesday morning for singles, or same household 2balls.

badgb21

Hacker
Visit site
Dail Mail from 14:53 today, make of it what you will...............

"When they're outdoors can they play sports?
Yes, but again this must be limited to doing so only with members of your own household.
Tennis courts and golf clubs could reopen in England from Wednesday, so long as social distancing measures are enforced.
Other permitted activities will include water sports and angling. "

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Dail Mail from 14:53 today, make of it what you will...............

"When they're outdoors can they play sports?
Yes, but again this must be limited to doing so only with members of your own household.
Tennis courts and golf clubs could reopen in England from Wednesday, so long as social distancing measures are enforced.
Other permitted activities will include water sports and angling. "

I guess the Daily Mail is getting things wrong again.

Government official 50 page report and their own website does not describe any restriction to only playing with a household membr.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess the Daily Mail is getting things wrong again.

Government official 50 page report and their own website does not describe any restriction to only playing with a household membr.

Certainly the bits I have seen allow golf with one person who is not from your household.