When did you change from GI irons to blades or semi-blades....and how did it go?

Shakey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As you can see from my signature thingy, I play off 28, and got into this great game properly in October of last year.

First thing I did was get some game improvement cavity irons: Mizuno MX100s. And very nice they were / are too……especially after what I’d been hacking around with (don’t ask!) on my once-yearly games.

Within a month or so, I decided I needed a wedge (as you do), and found a Mizzie MPT11 going cheap on good old eBay. I wondered if a forged iron like this would be too much for my game. But the consensus was that wedges don’t really need that much help (i.e. a cavity back), so I took the plunge.

Well, what revelation! When I caught one middle-ish, it felt so soft, yet of nothing at all. Now, I don’t know how you feel, but I can’t stand pretentiousness. Whether it’s wine pseudos talking about ‘a hint of leather,’ …….or golfers talking about a ‘buttery feel’.

Well, that’s changed!!

I wouldn’t describe a flushed (forged) Mizzie as buttery, more like hitting an empty eggshell. You feel nothing but everything (yes folks, I’m now the biggest pseud you’ll find!!).

So now I was hooked on that forged feel, and looked for the most forgiving forged Mizzies (now a Mizuno fanboy) I could find. After reading a ton of reviews, I settled on the MP58s and 59s.

When I saw the price of the MP59s, my enthusiasm strangely subsided, but the MP58s were within my wallet’s scope. Anyway, I eventually got silly-lucky on eBay, and got a set for a song.

I fully expected to try them on the range, middle maybe 2 out of ten, and put them away for when I could handle them (somewhere dry, and with a smear of WD40 over them!).
Amazingly, I hit them no worse than the MX100s. In fact, the spring off the club face was better. And when I flushed one……whooooaaaa!!

So in the bag they went (along with a few longer iron MX100s). My hope at that stage was just to carry, say, PW, 9, 8, and 7 of the MP58s, and get that wonderful feel on just the ‘scoring irons’.

But I was gobsmacked to learn that I could hit ALL the irons as well, and in some cases better than the cavities. I found I could get the 5-iron up in the air (I really struggled with the MX100s) and I wasn’t taking anywhere near the size of divot I did with the cavities.

As to forgiveness, I have to relate one example. Last week I hit a tee shot at a 145-yard par 3 that came up 10 yards short of the green. It was my fault…I put a 28 handicapper swing on an MP58 and got what I deserved. So (with no one remotely behind me) I re-loaded and hit the same club.

This time, I toed it so badly that I went searching for the ball square right (and slightly backwards!!) of the tee. After 5 minutes in the bushes, I gave it up and went to play that 1[SUP]st[/SUP] tee shot. Well, blow me down (as they say in all good 40s Cockney films), but that 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] tee shot was within 10 feet of the first tee shot….just 10 yards from the green!! That seemed impossible, and felt very X-Files.

So here I am with a signature on here that says 28 handicap…..and playing Mizuno MP58s. God bless anyone one who doesn’t raise an eyebrow or wet themselves laughing.

But these beauties are so forgiving….and so rewarding on semi-decent strikes, and allow me to hit longer irons much better than the MX100s. When I put a decent swing on it, the ball goes laser-beam straight, and rockets off the club face….yet still provides total feel. Even on a freezing-cold day, these irons make me grin like an idiot.

So (if you’re still awake after my essay), when did you make the switch from cavities / GI irons to forged or blades, and how did the transition go for you? I’d be very interested to get anyone’s story on this change and how it went.

And if you’ve yet to make this change, I hope my (over- long) story helps. There are always lovely forged 6 irons on eBay for no money….you might surprise yourself!

By the way, I hit some Cleveland CG Reds last autumn, and they were way, way too much for me. The flushed shots were nice, but the off-centres stung like hell!!

Thanks for reading, all. Like I say, I’d love to hear your experience of your switch from cavities to ‘better’ irons.

Last edited:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
The ability to get the ball up with the 5 iron may be down to shaft rather than any hocus pocus in the forged head dept.
Also don't be bought in to the "High handicappers MUST play GI irons" school of thought, different people with different swings will hit different clubs better or worse than others.
As your swing evolves you may find that all changes and you need to change the irons again.

MP58's are far from the most forgiving of the MP range (52, 53 and 63 probably more so from my experiences of them) and you will be thankful you didn't go for the 59's as, for as lovely as they look to me they are pretty harsh and unforgiving.

If you are hitting them well, just roll with it, don't get hung up on handicap levels and the like.

Personally, to your OP point, I played Adams A2 cavity irons from taking the game back up (following injury) in 2002 and played them until I got to 16 (2005) and switched to Mizuno MP52's.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Interesting read that :thup:

I stated on another thread (This morning) it's not the irons but the swing you put on them.

My iron play has always been the 2nd best part of my game, with putting being the 1st.

When I took up the game proper I got myelf a set of Taylormade R7 irons. Lovely clubs. They got me from a 28 handicap to 19 in just over my first full season.

Then, I hit a plateau. No matter how well I hit it I couldn't score better. I know, I know this is down to my swing or course management and not the clubs.

One night I get a phone call from my dad.

"You wanted to try a set of players irons didn't you?"

To which I reply

"Yes, why?"

Next thing I know, I'm in the passanger seat of my dads car on the way to see a chap selling a set of Mizuno MP32's. Loved the look of them at address. Took them onto a field out back of his house, just the 6 iron, flushed it straight out of the screws.

I was that impressed with the feel, flight, everything about them, I didn't even haggle, but for £80 for 5-W It was a steal anyway. What made it better was my old boy paid the chap and says to me.

"My treat!"

Gamed them for the whole of last season and dropped from 18.5 to 15.7 :D

Then, about 3-4 weeks ago, I had a windfall from some mis-sold PPI. I decided to take the plunge and get fitted for some new irons.

Nothing wrong with the 32's, just found myself in the financial situation where I could afford a change. Added to the irons was wedges, then a driver, then a fairway wood :mad:

If you look at my sig', this is how my bag now looks.

Pretty much a full bag of new clubs :mad: ..... Not what I intended. I decided to go for the 63's as I wanted a smidgeon of forgivness for when my shonky swing went out the window.

After a round without carding a score, just to get a feel, I decided to go out and see what was what.

77 shots with a complete new bag instilled the virtues of custom fittin IMHO.

The following week I decided to make some swing changes, for the long term improvement of my game. Went out just for 9 holes at the weekend and shot +4.

Could I have done that with the R7 game improvers? Of course.

In addition. After I'd played the MP32's for a while, I thought, for a laugh, I'd revisit my R7's to see if the magic would rub off. I couldn't even stand too look at them at address. Too much offset, to lone was too thick, gaping cavity.

Since then I've never gone back.

Yes, on strikes that aren't quite out of the middle I lose a bit of distance, but that's just and incentive to hit the next one better :thup:

Shakey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The ability to get the ball up with the 5 iron may be down to shaft rather than any hocus pocus in the forged head dept.
Also don't be bought in to the "High handicappers MUST play GI irons" school of thought, different people with different swings will hit different clubs better or worse than others.
As your swing evolves you may find that all changes and you need to change the irons again.

MP58's are far from the most forgiving of the MP range (52, 53 and 63 probably more so from my experiences of them) and you will be thankful you didn't go for the 59's as, for as lovely as they look to me they are pretty harsh and unforgiving.

If you are hitting them well, just roll with it, don't get hung up on handicap levels and the like.

Personally, to your OP point, I played Adams A2 cavity irons from taking the game back up (following injury) in 2002 and played them until I got to 16 (2005) and switched to Mizuno MP52's.

Same shaft as the MX100s. And I'm not 'hung up' on anything, just pleasantly surprised and wanted to share my experience.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am in the mid range area although I did have a set of callaway x forged for a week (won them and the x tour forged on ebay for a song the same week), I did hit them well up the range but my brain advised me to stick to the slightly chunkier tours.

I have had SGI aswell in Ping G10's and whilst I dont doubt their ability to get the ball up I hate the chunkiness on nothing more than a visual level.

A decent swing is a decent swing so regardless of iron type if you are a half decent ball striker then cavity or semi blade or even a butter knife blade will go well.

I can't believe I have never tried mizuno clubs, of all the sets I have owned!

good luck and enjoy them

Shakey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interesting read that :thup:

I stated on another thread (This morning) it's not the irons but the swing you put on them.

My iron play has always been the 2nd best part of my game, with putting being the 1st.

When I took up the game proper I got myelf a set of Taylormade R7 irons. Lovely clubs. They got me from a 28 handicap to 19 in just over my first full season.

Then, I hit a plateau. No matter how well I hit it I couldn't score better. I know, I know this is down to my swing or course management and not the clubs.

One night I get a phone call from my dad.

"You wanted to try a set of players irons didn't you?"

To which I reply

"Yes, why?"

Next thing I know, I'm in the passanger seat of my dads car on the way to see a chap selling a set of Mizuno MP32's. Loved the look of them at address. Took them onto a field out back of his house, just the 6 iron, flushed it straight out of the screws.

I was that impressed with the feel, flight, everything about them, I didn't even haggle, but for £80 for 5-W It was a steal anyway. What made it better was my old boy paid the chap and says to me.

"My treat!"

Gamed them for the whole of last season and dropped from 18.5 to 15.7 :D

Then, about 3-4 weeks ago, I had a windfall from some mis-sold PPI. I decided to take the plunge and get fitted for some new irons.

Nothing wrong with the 32's, just found myself in the financial situation where I could afford a change. Added to the irons was wedges, then a driver, then a fairway wood :mad:

If you look at my sig', this is how my bag now looks.

Pretty much a full bag of new clubs :mad: ..... Not what I intended. I decided to go for the 63's as I wanted a smidgeon of forgivness for when my shonky swing went out the window.

After a round without carding a score, just to get a feel, I decided to go out and see what was what.

77 shots with a complete new bag instilled the virtues of custom fittin IMHO.

The following week I decided to make some swing changes, for the long term improvement of my game. Went out just for 9 holes at the weekend and shot +4.

Could I have done that with the R7 game improvers? Of course.

In addition. After I'd played the MP32's for a while, I thought, for a laugh, I'd revisit my R7's to see if the magic would rub off. I couldn't even stand too look at them at address. Too much offset, to lone was too thick, gaping cavity.

Since then I've never gone back.

Yes, on strikes that aren't quite out of the middle I lose a bit of distance, but that's just and incentive to hit the next one better :thup:

As was yours, Gareth...and exactly the sort of reply I'd hoped for.

'Mis-sold PPI'...you jammy bugger (but good luck to you!!).

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Same shaft as the MX100s. And I'm not 'hung up' on anything, just pleasantly surprised and wanted to share my experience.

Not saying you are it was more a point to your "anyone who doesn't raise an eyebrow or wet themselves laughing" statement.
That in itself points to an underlying level of belief that you maybe shouldn't be using them.

My post was actually meant to be positive re-enforcement that you should be using them as they feel right and work for you (not your handicap).
But as they say, Meh!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
started with very old blades (hand made scottish clubmaker ...), then Dunlop then Wilson forged blades

went to GI clubs in the 1990's....

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am a massive believer in confidence in ones equipment leads to a better performance(even if I do still hack it about).

If they feel right then stick with them. Handicap is not a reflection of total ability at golf, it could be that you are a great iron player but cant drive or putt for toffee. Also 28 h/c is 10 doubles and 8 single bogeys, thats only 1 shot per hole more than a 10 handicap! (thats not a lot really in the grand scheme of things)

now wheres my ebay bargains shortcut..........

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
If they feel right then stick with them. Handicap is not a reflection of total ability at golf, it could be that you are a great iron player but cant drive or putt for toffee

This is me.

Iron play is fine. Short game and putting is fine, just very hit and miss with the woods, however more hit than miss just lately.

Shakey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not saying you are it was more a point to your "anyone who doesn't raise an eyebrow or wet themselves laughing" statement.
That in itself points to an underlying level of belief that you maybe shouldn't be using them.

My post was actually meant to be positive re-enforcement that you should be using them as they feel right and work for you (not your handicap).
But as they say, Meh!

Apologies, I didn't mean to be snappy or rude.

I agree with you 100%....the point I was trying to make on the whole post was not to be dictated to by others' pre-conceptions / club snobbery (or 'clubberry'!!).

As I said, I did fear that the 58s would be too much for me....but I thought that was just me being realistic (having tried to hit those Clevelands and failing).

Again, sorry if I was terse. All the best.

Shakey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am a massive believer in confidence in ones equipment leads to a better performance(even if I do still hack it about).

If they feel right then stick with them. Handicap is not a reflection of total ability at golf, it could be that you are a great iron player but cant drive or putt for toffee. Also 28 h/c is 10 doubles and 8 single bogeys, thats only 1 shot per hole more than a 10 handicap! (thats not a lot really in the grand scheme of things)

now wheres my ebay bargains shortcut..........

G1BB0, I love you almost as much as theose Mizzies!!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I took up the game in 2006 and my first set were Mizuno MX17, which were cast cavity backs. I treated myself to a set of mp57 once i got down to 10 from 24. These were good enough clubs at the time. I've since used MP62 and mp32 and have shot underpar a few times last year with these set. I Recently had a go with some JPX825 pro's and have decided to go back to something more forgiving. I wasnt struggling with my current irons, just thought i'd see how something that gave a little help goes for a while. the other week i took the pro who rund the mizuno fitting centre up here's new set of JPXpro out for a round in our roll up and while going though a bit out a set up change ( more lagg and better weight tranfer) And though i wasn't having my best ball striking day i still managed to shoot level par with them. Which would not have been possible with my blades.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'd say it has little to do with handicap. I've seen low handicappers that have always hit GI's and high handicappers that play blades very well - sometimes their swing faults lie in chipping, putting and driving.

I started with blades xx yrs ago, and migrated to something in between in the mid 80's.

Also, don't get hung up on the need to hit a 5 iron/4 iron etc - they're really 3/2 irons these days with all the bu99ering about the manufacturers have done with lofts...