When can you change ball?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
We all know it's perfectly acceptable to change your ball anytime if it's damaged, and by informing your playing partners, however, when else is it acceptable ie
We come to the long driving hole and one of you changes to a non premium distance ball for that hole only?
Partner plays to green with a hard distance ball but changes to a prov1 just to putt?

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Partner plays to green with a hard distance ball but changes to a prov1 just to putt?

[/QUOTE]

You cannot do that you must play the ball you started with.
You can however change the ball on the next tee if you wish.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site

Is a little like saying

"I only have 14 clubs in my bag so I am legal... because I carry the 15th in my hand at all times"

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can change ball at the following times unless there is a one ball condition in the conditions of competition, then you can't change ball type at all.

When the ball is unfit for play (visible damage only). Rule 5-3

When a ball is lost.

Between holes.

That is all.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
One more time you can vhange balls. If play is suspended and you are part way though the hole, you can mark lift and clean or change ball. When play restarts. Funny read that last night.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There was a row in the ryder Cup between Seve and Azinger years back when the yanks changed their ball. This was not a problem but they changed the 'construction' of their ball.

Needless to say there was a fair amount of gamesmanship. Seve didnt say anything to start with, so I do think the yanks were penalised. But he made his point sufficient for it to upset them, and Seve and Olly won the match.