Whats your Drivers degree of loft...............?

bagz

Visit site
just curious guys, i've seen a couple of 2nd hand drivers i like, they are 13 degree, but my 3 wood is 15 degree. is it worth getting a 13 degree driver when i have a 15 degree wood.

Whats your drivers loft..........

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
No one can give you a definative answer unless they know how you hit the ball, best advice is go see a pro and ask them what they think based on your stroke. Having said that if you fancy one and you feel you hit it well then it may be a good buy for you. Loft is relative to the way you hit the ball so if your not sure, see a pro.
I dont see any reason why you shouldnt have one alongside your 3w if its right for you.

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think whats more important is the shaft and the kick point coupled with your swing speed etc
I'm sure there are people on here who are more knowledgable in that department , however my driver is 9.5 for the record

Yidio

Assistant Pro
Visit site
10.5 is mine.
Only ever used 10 or 10.5. They just seem to work for me.

Same here,highest i've used is 10.5

I'm currently using a 10° Hyper X. Goes like the clappers.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
bagz, I treated myself to a 13 degree driver for the winter (short course) and don't carry both. I put a review of it on the "post a review" section.....1st post....benny HT.

Compared to my 3-wood, it's extremely easy to hit (massive 460cc head) and goes a bit further, though not a lot....I love it!! Most people "drop down" to a 3 wood for safety, this is pointless with an easy-to-hit driver....

I use a 3 wood off the tee as much as a driver in the summer, but I may not go back now I've got this one.

If I was to carry both, I'd go with one of my other drivers, a 10 and a 12 degree.

The "logic" in me says this. If you don't use a 3 wood off the fairway very much (if at all) and are not that consistent with a regular driver, you may as well carry a high loft/launch driver in place of both. If you hit a 10-12 degree driver OK, and want something shorter/straighter off the tee, carry both....

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Many years ago I used to have a Lynx Black Cat driver which was 12 degrees. I used to hit that really well.
Up until recently I had been using a Callaway Steelhead+ 9 degree driver, which was great when I first got it but the last year or so had seen me losing confidence with it.
I recently purchased a Ben Sayers "Benny" 10.5 degree driver and I love it to bits. It's fitted with the Grafalloy Prolaunch red shaft (firm) and hits the ball on a lovely trajectory. It's staying in the bag.
The extra loft gives me more confidence. Two holes I play regularly are to rising fairways and with my old 9 degree Callaway I used to subconciously try to help the ball in the air which caused all sorts of problems, so I reverted to hitting my 3 wood. The Benny's extra loft allows me to stay down on the shot and easily get up and over the brow of the hill.

wackygolfer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I use a 12* Ping Driver and have recently started using it off the fairway, which is great as I only have a 5 wood. I had contemplated buying a 3 wood but maybe wait until the ground hardens up and I cannot pinch the driver off the deck.

In the old days everybody tried to play with as little loft as possible, but I think it is a great advantage to keep the ball in the air longer.

10.5 degrees seems to be a popular choice for a driver but you really need to test them and get a feel for the one that you like hitting.

TWM

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have had 10.5, 11, 11.5, 12 and 13 degrees in the nine drivers I have bought in the last two and a half years. They all seemed to do the same flight and same distance.
I guess it's just me. :D

DCB

Visit site
I've just picked up a 12deg lofted driver at the end of the sales, as I struggled big time with my own driver last week at Goswick. Idea is the I will go back to my own driver when I get a bit of rythmn going again. Used the 12deg model this afternoon and got the ball away well at all the 'driver holes'.

Not used a 12deg driver for over 15yrs and was very surprised how forgiving it was and still getting a reasonable distance out of it.

The main thing was I played my second shots from the fairway. What a difference that makes.

Don't wory about what loft there is on the club, if it works for you the usee it.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I hit quite high with a 9 1/2 degree.

I watched some of our scratch boys today, and they hit it miles, but quite low. I am begininning to think I need a 7 degree to max out my distance.

Each to their own really.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
bagz, Shaft choice & kickpoint has as much to do with launch angle as face angle.

No reason why you shouldn't use a 13 degree driver, though I'd always say try lots of drivers, of different lofts & different shafts, see what combination will suite you, though seeing a pro, or an experienced club fitter to make the experience quicker & more than likely better.

I've used a variety of lofts over the past few years as my game has improved. I'd actually gotten right down to a 9.5 degree driver, but have recently returned to a previous higher lofted driver I was using a couple of years ago, as I've had a couple of months off & am recovering from an injury to my knee, so having a bit more loft back in the bag is at the moment a good idea. As my strength & game comes back, then it'll go back through my Wilson Staff 10.5 & then back to the Titleist 9.5 again.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a 10 and a 2 degree driver. The intention was to just use the high loft in winter to get more carry then go back to the 10 in the summer to make the most of the extra roll. Thing is that I am hitting the 12 degree so well at the moment that it may well stay in the bag for good.

DCB

Visit site
Don't do that Murph, stick with the one you've got. It worked well for you at Goswick. Its the clubhead speed through the ball that will get you more distance. A 7deg driver will be a good bit harder to get going than your present one. I tried a mates one at Gullane a couple of years ago and it was hopeless 'cause I couldn't swing hard enough to get good flight out of it.

CarpeDiem

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
10.5 for me but I want a 9.5 because I hit to sooooo high, but can't afford one, can you have drivers bent like you can irons to change loft?

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a 10 and a 12 degree driver. The intention was to just use the high loft in winter to get more carry then go back to the 10 in the summer to make the most of the extra roll. Thing is that I am hitting the 12 degree so well at the moment that it may well stay in the bag for good.

Couldn't agree more.......

I have exactly this combo and a 13 for "ease" on the short course. I CAN hit all of them, but I do find the more loft, the less sidespin. I got a good grilling on here for suggesting that 11 degrees is a happy medium. Try a 13, but maybe not with the intention of carrying both.

Everyone is different, some get 14-15 degrees launch off a 9 degree driver, others of a 12......either get custom fit, or try a few and stick with what you like. I like them ALL, t.b.h. and happily play with any. In the summer, I'll be using my old Callaway FT-3 10 degree, just to enjoy the roll and hit the magic 275 distance, which is my max (unless on a crazy links course).