What's This Shot Caused By?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I hope I can describe it properly.

It's like a thin, but it's not bladed. I guess it just comes off the face a bit low, and the flight is very low.

Twice today it happened to me with wedges. You know as soon as you hit it that it's not quite right but it's in the air and on target so you hope it might finish ok.
Trouble is, it goes about 10-15yds further than my max distance for the club and lands me in trouble behind the green :eek:

Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong without seeing it?

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was down the range last night and messing about with the ball position with my wedges and if I had it too far forward it went like you describe really low but not thinned and a bit further, but then again I could be doing something completely different :eek:

Philm

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sounds a little like you are not quite catching the bottom of ball, you're hitting a few dimples up from the bottom

are you also hitting up on the ball, ie arent you taking a divot after the ball?

Phil

Disclaimer im wick at golf so this comment may make no sense

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Chris : It's a possibility because I've always had the ball a bit further forward than I've read you should. I have my club in the middle of my stance rather than the ball. I don't remember if it had slipped a bit further forward for the shots that went wrong or not.

Bob : Would that be the same fault as the cause of a thin shot, only not quite so severe?

Phil : Huge divots normally. Again, I can't remember if I did or not on the bad shots. I was too busy getting a line on the ball to think about it!

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys :)